Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Computer Chair - desperate  (Read 918 times)

• Liked: 6
Computer Chair - desperate
« on: February 15, 2018, 11:35:55 AM »
Not sure if this is the best place for this, hope it can be moved if not.  I work from home and I noticed other forum members do too. My work is approx 5 to 7 hours sometimes more hours on some days working on a computer and I am suffering with my current work area. 

My wrist is bugging me now since Nov., I have had issues in the past but it normally heals within a week.  I am blaming my crap chair.  I love my desk and not sure that’s the issue but I got desperate and jumped at a gumtree offer when someone posted a cheap dressing table that I figured could double for a computer desk....I want to back out but it’s too late bc no way hubby would do that in this small village :p.

My old work chair was a refurb Herman Miller Aeron, it had it had its faults but it was by far the best computer chair I have used. They are way expensive here, even second hand.  What do you guys use for long term work? 

I bought a £119 chair less than a year ago and it’s crap, I don’t drive so it’s hard to go and try chairs.  Regretting having spent so much on a chair that sucks because I could have put that towards a used Herman Miller though I am not sure if that chair would be too bulky for my home office.

Also I thought maybe I could buy another chair and deduct as business expense but I don’t know if that works like standard deductions where you can take the standard deduction if your expenses are lower and therefore not enough to itemize expenses.  If so does anyone know what that standard deduction amount would be?  I don’t have many business expenses.  Though I think I might be able to get credit for a dedicated home office.

Here is the chair and my desk
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Office-Hippo-Office-Chair-with-Adjustable-Seat-Back-and-Arms-Leather-Black/202018619065?hash=item2f093f7eb9:g:6boAAOSwvPRZZO8U

http://www.furniturebox.co.uk/enzo-white-high-gloss-computer-office-desk?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwf3o7-in2QIVRj8bCh2wCAkxEAQYBCABEgLDk_D_BwE
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:45:24 AM by ConsuelaLemonPledge »
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: Computer Chair - desperate
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 11:57:50 AM »
I just did my taxes as a sole trader for the first time, and unless I was doing it wrong there doesn't seem to be a way to deduct things like furniture or hardware. You can claim for office supplies like paper and pens, but not the bigger things. It sucks, because I recently bought a chair and desk too! This is the chair I bought, and I HIGHLY recommend it. It's so comfy and has great back support.

On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 12:27:54 PM »
I like the mesh chairs.

For me it's not about the chair, it's about a foot stool.  I'm short though.   

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 03:20:16 PM »
I have thought about a foot rest, my feet touch the ground at most levels on this chair but I have read that a foot rest might help.  I think the mesh would avoid the padding going flat issue but I have also read it can sag.  Can’t help but wonder if I should have gone with the ikea desk that you can raise.  Ugh sucks that I can’t count chairs or the desk as an expense :(, furniture to me seems so expensive in England.
UK Spouse Visa

• Liked: 672
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 10:42:06 PM »
Even if you can't deduct it, be sure you have a good chair. I worked for 30 years with really bad chairs, 9 - 14 hours a day, and it caused absolute havoc with my lower back. That's actually one of the reasons I retired early - from about 2010 I was having to have medical treatments every other week to be able to continue to sit in any chair at all in front of a computer all day long. Trust me on this one, if nothing else, spend the money, get a chair that is ergonomically suited. And then be sure to get up every half hour and stretch!

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 12:36:53 PM »
Even if you can't deduct it, be sure you have a good chair. I worked for 30 years with really bad chairs, 9 - 14 hours a day, and it caused absolute havoc with my lower back. That's actually one of the reasons I retired early - from about 2010 I was having to have medical treatments every other week to be able to continue to sit in any chair at all in front of a computer all day long. Trust me on this one, if nothing else, spend the money, get a chair that is ergonomically suited. And then be sure to get up every half hour and stretch!

:(

You are right I should consider it an investment on health, my knees are already giving me problems which I have heard could be due to cut off circulation from sitting for long periods of time and bad PC chairs. I guess since the Herman Miller was the best chair so far I will see if I can save up and get a second hand one, if only it was easy to bring one back from the US. 
UK Spouse Visa

• Liked: 163
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 12:57:21 PM »
I just did my taxes as a sole trader for the first time, and unless I was doing it wrong there doesn't seem to be a way to deduct things like furniture or hardware. You can claim for office supplies like paper and pens, but not the bigger things.

You can deduct for bigger things, like computers and printers, and I assume chairs would be treated the same.

https://www.gov.uk/expenses-if-youre-self-employed/office-property

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab