Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone know Sicily or Bodrum?  (Read 700 times)

• Liked: 1892
Anyone know Sicily or Bodrum?
« on: February 20, 2018, 11:15:31 AM »
Researching a holiday for the end of March and I'm thinking of Sicily or Bodrum.
Anybody got any tips?

• Liked: 248
Re: Anyone know Sicily or Bodrum?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 12:32:36 PM »
I spent a week in Sicily.  Loved it!  We stayed in Ortygia which is a little island in the centre of Sicily.  We were adults no kids with us.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 01:21:55 PM »
What was it that you liked?  How did you spend your time? Was it warm?  Beaches with swimming?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 02:15:37 PM »
Haven't been to either but would love to go to both.  Report back!  :)

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 04:46:45 PM »
I have been sitting here remembering my trip to Sicily. I stayed with friends and slept on the sofa so can't comment on accommodation.

The weather was fabulous - sunshine every day.  I was there about a week after 9/11 which gave all travel a particular atmosphere.

Sicily being an island they have lots of fresh seafood on the menu.

The three of us were all adults, no children, so can't comment on how to keep young ones entertained.

Driving over there - they are all insane and I think even more so than the rest of Italy.

We did touristy things - visiting villages and churches and that sort of thing.  Beaches here and there to swim from - white sand in some and rocky outlets in others.

I remember sitting outside a duomo hundreds of years old (there had been pagan site before the church there) drinking coffee in the morning and watching the world go by.  I looked across at some of the architecture and saw a window that was obviously of Arabic design.  One of my friends (American) took us to an art shop as he liked the artist who displayed his work there and wanted to buy some.  In the front of the window was a sketch of the Two Towers with a huge Osama Bin Laden standing over them with his arms outstretched around them.  I was horrified.  It was not long after 9/11 and this was prominently displayed.  My friend decided against buying anything from that artist.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 04:58:30 PM »
Lots of ceramics you can buy.  We visited one village, Caltagirone, built up on a high hill (lots of villages are - like the rest of Italy) and it is famous for its ceramics.  The name itself is from the Arabic meaning castle of ceramics (or something). 
There are 142 steps leading up to a church - each riser has a different set of ceramics.  Each side of the quite steep steps there are small ceramic shops and you can see where they are being made.  I have a plate as a souvenir.

Lots of history in Sicily.  And you can visit the Godfather sites.

I LOVED the place.  Food fabulous.  Weather glorious. Stunning things to see.  People were lovely.

You have got my memories going now!  I remember there was a power outage and people lit candles in their houses.  We sat under a tree which had candles on the branches for light and drank wine.  And I remember sitting outside on the roof terrace (we had to blow the ash from a recently erupted Mount Etna of the seats) with a glass of wine watching the bats flitting about as the sun went down over the Mediterranean.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 05:05:32 PM »
This site gives you the weather and some info, including some pics.

http://www.holiday-weather.com/sicily/

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 10:40:14 AM »
Thanks Blossom,?you've got me stoked now.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab