Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving cat from SFO to LHR- preparation questions  (Read 2755 times)

• Liked: 30
Moving cat from SFO to LHR- preparation questions
« on: February 21, 2018, 11:31:17 AM »
Hi everyone! I am over in the UK on a marriage/fiance visa awaiting my new passport to switch over to FLR(M) and am making preparations to bring my cat over from SFO later this year. She is 6 years old but I  adopted her when she was 2 with no previous paperwork other than the shots she received when she arrived at the shelter. She received another round of shots around age 4 and again in November. I have all of the paperwork for her adoption and shots since adoption, but she has lapsed in her rabies vaccine twice in the time I have had her.

Is it a problem that her shots have lapsed a few times over the last few years? She was given a rabies shot in November and rechipped (found out her original wasn't ISO) in January. I am hoping to bring her over in August or so, so my parents will get her another rabies shot in July(since her microchip was after her November shots).

Based on what I have seen, there is nothing else I need to prepare until closer to the move date, correct?

As far as the move, my plan is to have her dropped off at SFO with her paperwork and I will pick her up at LHR when she arrives. I vaguely recall reading that she needs to travel within 3 weeks of an owner traveling. Is this still true? And if so, can I travel round trip LRH to New York/Boston and have her come in from SFO or do I need to also be traveling through SFO?
Met: Aug 2013
Started Dating: Oct 2013
Engaged: Sept 2017
Online app submitted: 17 Oct 2017
Biometrics & mailed in: 20 Oct 2017
Received by Sheffield: 23 Oct 2017
Decision email:

Re: Moving cat from SFO to LHR- preparation questions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 11:46:11 AM »
Also, since she wont be flying with anyone, do I need to use a pet relocation service? Does anyone have any recommendations for services or airlines if I am able to move her without a service?
Decision email:

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 12:11:43 PM »
I used Air Animal when I relocated here and would highly recommend them.

I'm not too sure on the process anymore, but others will know more.

I believe if she's not traveling within 5 days of you, it's simply an extra form that has to be completed.

• Liked: 18
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 02:35:03 PM »
Also, since she wont be flying with anyone, do I need to use a pet relocation service? Does anyone have any recommendations for services or airlines if I am able to move her without a service?

We used Virgin Atlantic to fly our cat from LAX to LHR. I can recommend them as the service was relatively easy to use, and they found a spare crate when ours wasn't the right format (holes on bottom half). Here's more details:

https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information/special-flight-requirements/flying-with-pets.html

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-transfer-of-residence-tor-relief-tor01

The basics of our cat move was:

1. Rabies shot done 21 days prior to flying
2. Microchip with ISO number
3. Forms collated from the vet for stamping by USDA
4. Half a day at the LA USDA office getting the forms stamped. We then scanned and sent them to Virgin for checks that arriving in Heathrow Animal Reception Centre would hit no glitches
5. With the USDA stamp you've got 10 days to get the cat to the UK
6. If flying alone then the owner has to arrive within 5 days of the cat arriving. The UK doesn't allow Emotional Support animals, so the cat cannot fly in the cabin.
7. If you complete a Transfer of Residence then you don't have to pay the UK VAT.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 02:55:43 PM »
On the 5 days rule:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/changes-to-pet-passports-to-strengthen-travel-scheme

•a tighter definition of non-commercial movement which will mean owners who cannot travel with a pet when they enter the EU, must do so within 5 days; owners can still authorise another person to travel with their pet, but again the pet and authorised person must travel within 5 days of each other

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 05:13:50 PM »
So I think I have a pretty good idea of how to bring my cat over-although I am having issues finding specific pricing information for different airlines.

If we were to move her to the UK then decide in 5 years that we want to move back to the US, does anyone know what requirements she must meet to be able to go back to the US?
Decision email:

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 05:18:53 PM »
It's impossible to know how things will be in 5 years but in general, it's much easier and cheaper to take a pet to the US than to the UK.  :)

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 08:10:47 AM »
So I think I have a pretty good idea of how to bring my cat over-although I am having issues finding specific pricing information for different airlines.

I only checked Virgin and British Airways as I was unsure about US carriers. The cost depends on the size of the cat and therefore the cage. Virgin can give an instant quote over the phone. I seem to recall our cat cost around $1300. As for British Airways, I gave up on them. You must use a dedicated pet travel company so it'll be a lot more expensive. Doing it yourself is not an option with them.

M.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab