Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: You folks be safe out there!  (Read 2172 times)

• Liked: 676
You folks be safe out there!
« on: February 27, 2018, 07:11:09 PM »
It's snowed on and off here in Glasgow, and is cold, but not the misery (yet) they claim is coming from the Beast from the East.  You guys be safe where you are, and if you have anyone who has heart or lung conditions, or is elderly or infirm, check up on them?

• Liked: 533
Re: You folks be safe out there!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 10:23:38 AM »
Went to take the bin out this morning and felt like one of the Muirheads.

Being from Florida I still find an iced-over pavement alien and disconcerting.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 10:52:07 AM »
Moved to north east from Virginia, and we handle snow much better in Virginia and it’s the south.  This lil bit of snow has led to much mocking from me.  So you know my husband and his family just love me :p

Maybe it’s because I am in the country now.  People seem to only be able to manage if they have 4x4.  I hear there aren’t many gritters...hospital is asking for help from those with 4x4 to bring staff in. The school closing announcement here was on the Facebook group and only after school would have already been open...how do you schedule for child care? Are they like turning kids away at the door? I sure hope there was a more reliable notice method than Facebook.  It’s all really strange.  My husband looked outside and was all it’s like Siberia o-O there is like maybe 4 inches if that.

I guess I just imagined...England...North...they know snow ❄️
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 03:23:46 PM »
Our son moved back in September last year having spent practically his whole life in Texas and Louisiana.  He works shifts and has now gone through 4 bad snow days, twice last year going in at 4:30am and twice this week going in at 9pm and returning home at 6am.  The problem with early morning drives here is that it is very hilly and you are one of the first cars on the road. Just had lunch with him today and he said he and his office mates get a lot of pleasure watching their workmates leave as the parking lot is a steep bank onto a roundabout, so he knew that they'd be all watching "the American" attempting it in 4-6" of fresh snow that had fallen overnight. He was obviously pleased with himself to make it without either fishtailing or sliding back down.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 03:35:39 PM »
Please everyone don't forget the birds in this weather. Even if you don't have food for them, they'd thank you for some water.  :)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 06:59:59 PM »
Please everyone don't forget the birds in this weather. Even if you don't have food for them, they'd thank you for some water.  :)

*scoff*  I just bring my birds indoors.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 07:05:30 PM »

Literally laughed out loud at that one!

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 07:06:51 PM »
Literally laughed out loud at that one!

This is no laughing matter:  10 to 20 meters of snow!  (@0:30)  ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-43223765/red-and-amber-weather-warnings-across-uk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 07:10:57 PM »

You are *the best!*  :D

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 07:19:30 PM »
You are *the best!*  :D

My husband and I have long been concerned for the welfare of our local birds.  *nods*  We had some birds that took up residence in our stables-cum-workshop last year, and any time we talked about some improvement to make the structure tidier or more weather-proof, one of us would remark, "the birds are gonna love it!"  Eventually, that turned into our catchphrase for everything we built.  You won't believe how much they loved those reception desks.  ;)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 07:22:47 PM »

• Liked: 676
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 09:52:49 PM »
Ok, it's a little Dr. Zhivago-ish outside. We've got drifts out back, the trains and buses stopped running mid-day, and people are walking down the middle of major streets.  :o Uni was closed today, but the Daughter's teacher was stuck in town so they had a short lecture anyway. She made it to campus and back and says she is NOT going back out tomorrow. Said the snow wasn't that bad, but the wind was getting brutal. Daughter has never actually been in a real winter, so this is a great novelty. So now staying inside and raiding the crock pot (currently warming chili made of stew meat) that is gurgling on the counter. Fortunately we have a pleasant, cozy flat that is really energy efficient.

Am happy I put a lard/seed sandwich out for the birds yesterday, as they've all visited it and it's almost gone. I have another one to put out in the morning (save the grease from the bacon/sausages and spread it on bread, make a sandwich, coat it in more grease, stick birdseed to it. They all seem to like it. Poor things, it's now much too deep out there for them to find anything by digging in the snow.  :-\\\\  I've got a bird feeder out there as well, but the birds don't seem to use it very much.   ???

• Liked: 6
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 02:01:35 AM »
Looking at some of the news about the roads, and there doesn’t appear to be much snow but the highway/roads seem untouched by salt trucks or plows.  Is this because it caught everyone off guard?  I thought maybe it was the rural area I am in bc I have not seen or heard any snow plows come by and apparently they don’t around here.

I agree though the wind is what seems to be the bigger issue.
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 149
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 07:17:04 AM »
It's just been a long time since this kind of weather has happened to some people. I remember back in 2010 and 2011 we had a couple weeks of snow....over a foot deep easy around here.....people just get used to things being easier. I don't know if anybody else on here would remember, but back when I lived in High Wycombe (and hell.....that was even down south as they say here) in the early 80's we had a couple of storms that were pretty nasty. Not all that much snow.....but the wind shoved it all around and it filled up every hedge row to the top. Cars were buried for days, if not weeks. The weather used to be worse around here 30+ years ago (and back in Washington state as well)..... To me the only thing unusual is that it's MARCH damnit!! The golf course will be closed for quite a while (poor boy, some would say :D).....this is supposed to happen a month ago...not now. Now things are getting serious......because it effects me :o :o (That was a purposely silly comment for those that would take me serious). As another side note that I consider a bit silly.....last year my brother (who doesn't move around very well) got stranded in his house that's up on a hill for a couple of weeks because of ice/snow....he really didn't like it. I mentioned how much I liked the Subaru Forester I had a few years ago in E Washington where it usually snows a fair amount....and temps down to -20C aren't that unusual. So he buys a new Forester this last year. They get snow this year and he still isn't driving. I ask him if he has bought winter tires.....nope. My brother is usually pretty sensible.... There is this attitude that if you buy an all-wheel drive or 4 wheel drive you can just drive it through anything. Mine did go through about anything....but winter tires really really help traction. Oh well......now to the point.....our gas boiler quit last night.....luckily we have an electric fake fire downstairs and a portable oil filled radiator that we had for upstairs. Old neighbor (plumber) of my wife's is coming over this morning. He things it's a simple fix....he thinks the drain for the boiler probably froze up. Enough babbling......almost time for my 5 mile morning walk (when I'm not golfing ;)).
Fred

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 07:24:24 AM »
Which roads are gritted is usually decided by the council for each area - the councils should have been informed of the snow well in advance (we knew about it a week ago), but they will have various priorities regarding which roads are most important to grit and  how much salt they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links