Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Taxes sent  (Read 1194 times)

• Liked: 149
Re: Taxes sent
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 09:26:06 PM »
Taxes are something I need to do. I've been wondering if it's ok to use a US address, worried that maybe it would look bad somehow? Like if UKVI somehow found out. Am I being daft?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
I use my UK address on the taxes. I moved back almost 3 years ago and am not planning on moving back to the US. The problem for me is using turbotax.....they like people to pay using a US bank......and the banks tend to prefer you to have a US address which I do not have. I guess I could beg my brothers to let me use their address (but I can't use them forever, I'm a good bit younger).....but....I guess I just don't understand in the present day why credit card folks can't deal with people living all around the world.
Fred

• Liked: 63
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 05:58:15 PM »
My US bank and my credit card had no problems with a UK address. The same with my IRAs - I just filled out a change of address form, and that was it.

If you continue to use a US address to file a tax return, it will be very difficult for the pencil pushers at the IRS to make the leap that you are truly not US resident. The UKVI don't give a hoot what address you use for your income tax return. The IRS is a different animal, and you need to establish foreign residence for many reasons to simplify your tax filing and avoid liability.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 06:40:33 PM »
My US bank and my credit card had no problems with a UK address. The same with my IRAs - I just filled out a change of address form, and that was it.

If you continue to use a US address to file a tax return, it will be very difficult for the pencil pushers at the IRS to make the leap that you are truly not US resident. The UKVI don't give a hoot what address you use for your income tax return. The IRS is a different animal, and you need to establish foreign residence for many reasons to simplify your tax filing and avoid liability.
When I finished TTax and tried to pay for it.....it told me that I had to use a US based credit card. Can't remember much else......I need to pay off that credit card payment anyway, so I'll get on there and see if I can change my old address to a UK address without being shot. I can always fall back on just mailing it in of course.
Fred

• Liked: 716
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 06:44:48 PM »
When I finished TTax and tried to pay for it.....it told me that I had to use a US based credit card. Can't remember much else......I need to pay off that credit card payment anyway, so I'll get on there and see if I can change my old address to a UK address without being shot. I can always fall back on just mailing it in of course.

I keep 2 US credit cards because of this. I have one with a UK address and it has no foreign transaction fees so is way of spending $’s in England and Europe.

I was going to get rid of the other card but decided to keep it on to do things like buy TurboTax on Amazon.com.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 07:59:33 PM »
I will get things straightened out sooner or later....within the next 2 years I would like to get my pension sent straight to Lloyds here in the UK, and in a year and a half when I take social security I want that to come straight here as well. I tried to get the pension sent here a year or so ago....just a big cluster **** with Lloyds and the folks who send my Govt pension. It should have been easy, but...it wasn't. The folks with Lloyds weren't too sure what numbers I wanted......and when I sent the numbers to the pension folks and asked which one they wanted, they wouldn't tell me. I'll try again someday....

Plan to take the Life in the UK test in the next couple of weeks....just got off my butt and got busy with that. What a bunch of absolutely silly answers you might need to know...I mean really.....does it really matter if I know when King Charles 1 died???? But I will also have to drive into the south side of Leeds to take the test.....fun times.
Fred

• Liked: 716
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 08:10:25 PM »
I will get things straightened out sooner or later....within the next 2 years I would like to get my pension sent straight to Lloyds here in the UK, and in a year and a half when I take social security I want that to come straight here as well. I tried to get the pension sent here a year or so ago....just a big cluster **** with Lloyds and the folks who send my Govt pension. It should have been easy, but...it wasn't. The folks with Lloyds weren't too sure what numbers I wanted......and when I sent the numbers to the pension folks and asked which one they wanted, they wouldn't tell me. I'll try again someday....

Plan to take the Life in the UK test in the next couple of weeks....just got off my butt and got busy with that. What a bunch of absolutely silly answers you might need to know...I mean really.....does it really matter if I know when King Charles 1 died???? But I will also have to drive into the south side of Leeds to take the test.....fun times.

You may be able to accelerate the withdrawal and transfer of your funds over the next few years under the new tax brackets.  Nice table here to see how they compare with last year.

https://www.fidelity.com/viewpoints/personal-finance/tax-proposal-details

Charles 1st death is analogous to Abraham Lincoln’s death, Charles was executed as a result of the English Civil War while Lincoln was assassinated as a result of the American Civil War. I had to learn a load of “silly” facts to get my US citizenship, so now it’s your turn  :D
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2018, 08:41:35 PM »
You may be able to accelerate the withdrawal and transfer of your funds over the next few years under the new tax brackets.  Nice table here to see how they compare with last year.

https://www.fidelity.com/viewpoints/personal-finance/tax-proposal-details

Charles 1st death is analogous to Abraham Lincoln’s death, Charles was executed as a result of the English Civil War while Lincoln was assassinated as a result of the American Civil War. I had to learn a load of “silly” facts to get my US citizenship, so now it’s your turn  :D

Yeah, I might speed the withdrawals a bit next year (can only do it once a year...at £100 for the notary here).....there is a little room to bump them up a bit, although I think I figured out that it would still be another 4 tax years even if I got the money out 6 months faster.

I don't think I've ever had a good memory for little details.....I kind of figure that if the real test is anything like the practice tests online I shouldn't have any trouble passing once I go through all the information a couple of times. I pass the practice tests almost every time now. My "guess" is that of the 24 multiple choice questions they ask......probably 15 will be real easy, 5 I'll have to think about for a second and 4 of them will be hard ones. Now I've probably put the whammy on myself for being overly confident. But my attitude is that while I don't want to waste £50 and a drive to Leeds....if I do fail, I'll just suck it up and take it a week or so later.
Fred

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 08:45:15 PM »
My "guess" is that of the 24 multiple choice questions they ask......probably 15 will be real easy, 5 I'll have to think about for a second and 4 of them will be hard ones. Now I've probably put the whammy on myself for being overly confident. But my attitude is that while I don't want to waste £50 and a drive to Leeds....if I do fail, I'll just suck it up and take it a week or so later.

Take your time reading the questions, they deliberately try to trip you up with the wording.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab