Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: TOR Help!  (Read 783 times)

• Liked: 10
TOR Help!
« on: March 03, 2018, 12:43:13 PM »
Finally made it to London (yay!) and trying to get my stuff here using TOR. I started filling out the form online, but I got to a page where it asked me if I was coming as a student where I said no. The next question was if I was using my stuff to furnish a student residence and I said no, and then it said I wasn’t eligible for tax relief? Is that the case?
Application submitted: December 25
Biometrics Complete: January 5
Documents sent: January 5 (priority)
Confirmation Email (after a slight panic attack inducing misstep from UPS): Jan 10
Decision Email: February 20
Passport returned: February 22 APPROVED!

• Liked: 718
Re: TOR Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 01:10:54 PM »
I think that is correct but do you have stuff that is taxable? If you have owned stuff for 6 months or more then it is not taxable.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 10
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 02:12:37 PM »
Ah hah! That makes sense. I don’t really have anything I’ve owned for less than 6 months, but will have to to prove that in some way? Is there anything else I need to fill out?

Thanks!!
Application submitted: December 25
Biometrics Complete: January 5
Documents sent: January 5 (priority)
Confirmation Email (after a slight panic attack inducing misstep from UPS): Jan 10
Decision Email: February 20
Passport returned: February 22 APPROVED!

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 03:52:34 PM »
Ah hah! That makes sense. I don’t really have anything I’ve owned for less than 6 months, but will have to to prove that in some way? Is there anything else I need to fill out?

Thanks!!

When we shipped our goods back in January 2017 I had the receipts for all our big stuff, but then that is me, I keep and file all receipts for significant cost items.

When our son moved back in September 2017 he didn't have a single receipt but it didn't matter either way. Neither he or I had to produce any receipts.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 05:24:35 PM »
Did you and your son ship your items within 12 months of returning? Is it your impression that shipping items that are at least 6 months old will incur no import fees?

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 06:54:35 PM »
Did you and your son ship your items within 12 months of returning? Is it your impression that shipping items that are at least 6 months old will incur no import fees?

We shipped ours about 7 months after moving back, and our son shipped his at the same time as he moved himself.

The 6 month rule is described in the postal version of the ToR

https://public-online.hmrc.gov.uk/lc/content/xfaforms/profiles/forms.html?contentRoot=repository:///Applications/Customs_B/1.0/TOR1&template=TOR1.xdp

To obtain the relief you must be moving from a country outside the European Union (EU) to the UK, in order to live in the UK. You're thereby
transferring your normal place of residence to the UK. If you don't yet have a UK address you should consider other relief's such as
temporary admission or place the goods in free circulation and make a retrospective claim to ToR when you've established your residence in
the UK. Except in exceptional circumstances, you must claim ToR within 12 months of your date of entry to the UK.
You must also:

have lived outside the EU for at least the last 12 consecutive months

have used and had possession of the goods for at least the last 6 consecutive months

have used the goods and are going to continue using them in the new place of residence in the UK for at least the next 12 months

be importing the goods within 12 months of coming to live in the UK

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab