Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Online tax prep recommendations?  (Read 793 times)

• Liked: 60
Online tax prep recommendations?
« on: March 04, 2018, 03:50:35 PM »
This is my first year filing US taxes from overseas, so I'm having some growing pains. I have always used TurboTax for my federal return. However, this year since I'm married, it won't let me progress without listing a SSN/ITN for my UKC husband. I thought I should be able to file without listing it since he is an NRA, but it won't let me move on. He and I both have absolutely zero desire in registering him for an ITN, because he wants nothing to do with Uncle Sam. (It also won't accept a non-US phone number - but worst case I have a Skype phone number I can give them.)

Are there other programs I can use that won't get hung up on it? Is there a way around that in TurboTax?

My tax situation isn't overly complicated, but I do usually end up itemizing my deductions.

• Liked: 102
Re: Online tax prep recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 07:23:10 PM »
Why would itemizing deductions save you any tax? If you paid UK tax, rates are higher than US tax rates.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 07:35:32 PM »
You should be filing as 'Married Filing Separately' so only your income is reported. Unless you want to claim an exemption for your UKC husband, there's not need for an ITIN or SSN. That might be your TurboTax problem.

It can be advantageous to claim the exemption for your husband if you are eligible to do so. His income is still not reported/taxed - it just reduces your taxable income.

If you are claiming the FTC (rather than the FEIE), tax paid to the UK should more than offset any US tax due.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 08:41:11 PM »
You should be filing as 'Married Filing Separately' so only your income is reported. Unless you want to claim an exemption for your UKC husband, there's not need for an ITIN or SSN. That might be your TurboTax problem.

It can be advantageous to claim the exemption for your husband if you are eligible to do so. His income is still not reported/taxed - it just reduces your taxable income.

If you are claiming the FTC (rather than the FEIE), tax paid to the UK should more than offset any US tax due.

Yes, I chose Married Filing Separately, but it still requires his TIN for some reason. I can't find a way past it. I'm thinking I just need to find different software.

I have my deductions itemized because I only moved partway through 2017, so I had enough income and things like charity deductions, that it was still worth itemizing. Not by a lot, but every bit counts!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:51:12 PM by brenzie »

• Liked: 102
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 08:31:20 AM »
All the forms and instructions are available for free on the IRS and FinCEN websites.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 10:01:03 AM »
There are two items discussed in this thread, itemised deductions and personal exemptions, which alter after 2017. For 2018 to 2025, the number of allowable itemised deductions decrease significantly although for a USC resident abroad very few were allowable anyway. The personal exemptions disappear entirely for 2018 to 2025, both for the taxpayer and their spouse.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 05:02:44 PM »
Hi all, thanks for the replies.

I think you have misunderstood my question. I am not asking about itemizing. I only mentioned that in case it affected what suggestions people had on software.

I am wondering what online software is available to do my tax prep that will NOT force me to give a SSN/ITN for my husband. TurboTax seems to require it.

ETA - I just tried out H&R Block's online tool, and although the foreign exemption parts are not free, it hasn't required an SSN for my UKC husband. So far, so good!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:37:16 PM by brenzie »

• Liked: 111
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:17:30 PM by theOAP »

Sponsored Links