Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bunko  (Read 1471 times)

• Liked: 424
Re: Bunko
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 03:07:46 PM »
That's my thing.  I have some fabulous British friends but I can't bug them to keep me entertained ALL the time.  I need multiple social circles.   ;D
Well, drive up and we'll do lunch! ;)

• Liked: 154
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 09:30:02 PM »
I totally get that!

I lived in England for 8.5 years and only met one American during that entire time organically (where we bumped into each other) and she was the nurse who delivered my daughter! She had been in England for nine years before me and I was the only American she had ever met too.

I did have one meetup in 2002 with American women and it wasn't a very positive experience. They were military wives who lived on base as well and had so little interactions with the English that they lived in a bubble. I simply couldn't relate to them despite being a SAHM with kids the same ages as theirs. I was a bit shocked that they simply hated being in England and did say absolutely terrible things about the English.  That pissed me off but I ended up leaving half way because they started referring to me, not by my name (I had a name tag) but the "Mexican lady". Hello, I'm American too!

Because of my marriage to my English husband and having two dual citizen children and we are back in the US, I don't feel like I fit anywhere. I was already awkward to begin with since I'm half Mexican so I'm too American to fit in with the Mexican community and I am too Mexican to fit in with Americans. So, I decided to join a British Expat group in my suburb of Houston. Ugh. Many of them are on temporary contracts due to the oil and gas industry so their kids are in the British school and they spend a great deal of time talking crap about living in Texas and say jerk things about Americans. Basically, they're no different than the Americans in England I met.

I'm so over trying to fit anywhere so the only thing I would suggest Eh is to just do you and live your life. And we are a better bunch in this forum...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m glad you understand. I tried to explain my mom and she scoffed at me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 09:32:05 PM »
Our local American meetup group is great as we have several people who have been in the UK for 20 years plus and then new comers.  What is frustrating is that the meetups are the same core group.  We have about 80 people part of the "group".  I've probably only met a dozen in real life and we have 8ish who regularly attend stuff.

I'm not at all bothered if other Americans don't want to meetup.  I just don't know why they'd join a meetup group if they don't want to meetup.   ;D

I may have tried to join your group on Facebook if I remember your region correctly. I couldn’t find one in my city, and It’s a bit far but I though on weekends I could do the commute and they turned me away. So I haven’t tried again.

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 09:32:49 PM »
I'd love to meet up with a few, there just aren't many up my way. Being a little more social wouldn't do me any harm.

Are you close to Edinburgh? We have an office up there and I’ve been trying to get work to send me up.

• Liked: 424
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 05:41:06 AM »
Are you close to Edinburgh? We have an office up there and I’ve been trying to get work to send me up.

I'm a few hours drive further north actually. I'm sure your company needs to expand into the Highlands!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 09:02:25 AM »
I may have tried to join your group on Facebook if I remember your region correctly. I couldn’t find one in my city, and It’s a bit far but I though on weekends I could do the commute and they turned me away. So I haven’t tried again.

The Reading group?  PM me your name.  I'm an admin.  I can get you in.   ;D

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 07:33:34 PM »

Ah no not reading, I can’t remember which group I asked now and I can’t find my messages.  I pm’d you.. Reading is about 1.5 hours ( I think)  but if it was a weekend thing the drive wouldn’t mind it every once in a while.

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 09:11:44 PM »

Ah no not reading, I can’t remember which group I asked now and I can’t find my messages.  I pm’d you.. Reading is about 1.5 hours ( I think)  but if it was a weekend thing the drive wouldn’t mind it every once in a while.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 10:31:10 AM »
they are very much still all American.  If that makes any sense.  So I felt a bit lost, like I did when I first moved to the UK. I think I’m starting to become culturally blended I’m not sure where I belong lol.

I know that feel... It's the middle of the Atlantic for us...
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 10:33:56 AM »
Our local American meetup group is great as we have several people who have been in the UK for 20 years plus and then new comers.  What is frustrating is that the meetups are the same core group.  We have about 80 people part of the "group".  I've probably only met a dozen in real life and we have 8ish who regularly attend stuff.

I'm not at all bothered if other Americans don't want to meetup.  I just don't know why they'd join a meetup group if they don't want to meetup.   ;D

haha I don't think I really even realised how big that group was as I've only met probably only 8 or 9 people from that group in total? (some were one-off's).
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links