Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need Help with Fiance Visa Process (US Male, UK Female Citizen)  (Read 9721 times)

• Liked: 3
The story and problem:
My fiancee and I have been dating since August 2016, and have been in constant contact.  I have visited her in the UK twice (Dec/Jan 2016, Dec/Jan 2017) and she has visited me for an extended period during the summer of 2017.  We have known each other for four years, and have been good friends for three before we started dating in Aug 2016 (as mentioned above).  We got engaged July 2017 and hired immigration lawyers to help with the visa process, as we heard alot of people get rejected without them.  Well we have had minimal contact with the immigration lawyers, who have let my visa application expire, and have been impossible to reach.  We expected to have everything done weeks ago, even a couple months ago, but because of them and our fear of doing it on our own and getting rejected, we are back at the starting point on the application.  I am now scrambling trying to get the application done (correctly) and all of the documents gathered as I intended to travel back to the UK on May 22 (as I assumed all of this would have been taken care of weeks/months ago).  I already have a flight for 22 May which is an issue, but they also messed up my flight itinerary and I REALLY missed a layover, so I believe I am able to get the flight moved if necessary free of charge.  However, my main focus is on getting the visa done.  My fiancee and I have a good bit of the supporting documents ready and are kind of waiting for some actual help to determine if we have everything, and if what we have is correct.

Here is a list of what we were told we needed by the immigration lawyers on the first and only time we had contact with them:
A) Documents required from applicant (me - US male):
- Application form signed and dated, given at the end of this process
- VAF4A form signed and dated, given at the end of this process
- 2 x passport size photos of applicant (I have this)
- Applicants original passport (I have this)
- Applicants birth certificate (I have this)
- Supporting letter illustrating who the applicant is, relationship nature with partner, how the relationship developed, why the applicant wishes to come to the UK, what the applicant intends to do when issued the visa (I have this)
- Certificate of degree for applicant (I assume my university degree? I have the original so that's not an issue)
- Testimonials from family saying the applicant is in a genuine relationship with the sponsor (I have one from my mom and dad, another from my brother, and the one from a close mutual friend that I mention below in documents my fiancee is supposed to provide)
- Photos of applicant and sponsor together (we have about 40-50 photos of us together in same frame, we have other pictures of each other when we are together but one of us was taking a picture of the other.  Some pictures are from the same day, some at the same place almost exactly a year later, some with family, some with friends.  I have read that they want the pictures printed, put on sheets of paper, and annotated with date, location, and description of photo)
- Communication evidence of applicant and sponsor (I was told by someone on Reddit that evidence every 2-4 weeks we were apart would be plenty.  I have screenshots of our WhatsApp messages every 2-4 weeks from Aug 2016 to Jun 2017, with breaks of when we were together in person during Dec/Jan 2016-17, and then I have screenshots of our WhatsApp call log every 2-4 weeks from Sept 2017 to now with just the calls, and also call details for multiple day calls that includes time spent talking etc.  I have 9 full pages each with 4 screenshots of texts/call logs. We are also including a couple of handwritten letters we have sent each other.  I mentioned in my letter stating my intentions for visa that I had much more letters, screenshots, etc if they required it.)
- Letter of invitation from sponsor to applicant inviting him to come to the UK, and the fact she will be paying for everything involved with finances such as his accommodation, travel costs, air tickets, as well as home office fees and legal fees

B) Documents required from sponsor (fiance - UK citizen):
- Certified copy of passport (she doesn't have certified copy, could she send her original passport as we are running out of time?)
- Certified copy of birth certificate (she doesn't have a certified copy of this either, could she send her original in?)
- Copies of any visas obtained to visit fiance, if any. Copies of ticket/boarding pass used to visit your fiance, if any. Note that if you do not have copies of visas/tickets obtained to visit fiance then any other document such as hotel reservations, photos, evidence of purchase of ticket from bank statements can be used as alternatives (we both have tickets/boarding passes, as well as some hotel reservations, etc)
- Supporting letter from sponsor illustrating who she is, her relationship nature with her partner, how her relationship developed, why she wishes to have the applicant come to the UK, what she intends to do when he is issued the visa
- Applicants 6 months most up to date bank statements (which fiancee is printing at home, just learned from here yesterday that printed statements need to be stamped by bank, something lawyers never mentioned)
- Up to date last 6 months wage slips from sponsors current employment
- Employment contract letter on letter headed format
- Photos of applicant and sponsor together
- Evidence of sponsor actively looking an inquiring for venues, dates, and places for couple to get married (we have all of this, already signed contract with venue and paid deposit, have more details as well from venue)
- Letters, emails, or confirmations of any wedding dates, venues, caters guest list etc (we have emails from the venue, the lady doing our flowers, the guy doing our cake, the photographer, the guy performing at the reception, the DJ accompanying performer at reception, honeymoon flight confirmations)
- Wedding invitations (we have ordered them, we also have save the dates already given out)
- Two testimonials from family/friends who've seen the relationship develop over time (her mom and dad are doing one testimonial, her sister another testimonial, and we have a testimonial from a very close mutual friend who knew us before we were in a relationship)
- 2 x utility bills with sponsors name and property she lives in such as gas, electricity, internet, water, or phone bills (fiancee has her phone bills, bank statements, and a note from her doctors office, other than that the flat she owns she rents out currently so she doesn't have any utility bills as she is living with her parents until we get married, at which time we will move to her flat)
- Property inspection report for flat/apartment of property (she got a property inspection report for her parents house where she is currently staying, and where I stay when I am visiting.  Is it an issue it isn't at the place we will be living in? Or was she supposed to get the property inspection report at the place she is currently residing?)

I'm sorry for such a long post but like everyone else I just want to get it right and get it done ASAP.  If there is anything that we are missing, that isn't on the list, or details we need to be aware of I would greatly appreciate any help or advice. 

With your help I am hoping to get the application done today or tomorrow, get the BRP appointment done late this week or early next week, and ship everything to UKVI when I receive documents from my fiancee. Please let me know what my next step is regarding to the application as I'm not waiting for the immigration lawyers if I am able to do this on my own (with your help and advice).

Thank you so much!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Need Help with Fiance Visa Process (US Male, UK Female Citizen)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 02:33:29 PM »
Just from glancing at your document list, it's easy to tell you've been working with a dodgey lawyer.  Glad you are rid of them!  We'll help you get your visa approved and save a bundle.

What are the circumstances?

Your fiance, has she been working in the same job earning more than £18,600/year for more than six months?

Where will you be living when you move over?  At her parents or in your own place?

• Liked: 768
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 02:39:27 PM »
I'm glad you made it here. KFDancer and ksand24 will make sure you are on the right track!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 02:39:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum :).

First off, you absolutely do NOT need to use a lawyer, and I wouldn't bother, personally. Approximately 95-98% of UK visa applications made in the US are approved.

Unless you have reasons to believe your character will be called into question and that you will be refused a visa for the UK because of it (criminal convictions, previous illegal working or overstaying in the UK, previous refused visas or entries to the UK), there is no need to use a lawyer.

In regards to your document list, there is a large number of documents on there that are not needed at all and you can take out completely:

- Applicants birth certificate (I have this) (not required for any visa)
- Supporting letter illustrating who the applicant is, relationship nature with partner, how the relationship developed, why the applicant wishes to come to the UK, what the applicant intends to do when issued the visa (I have this) (not required
- Certificate of degree for applicant (I assume my university degree? I have the original so that's not an issue) (cannot be considered)
- Testimonials from family saying the applicant is in a genuine relationship with the sponsor (cannot be considered)

- Certified copy of birth certificate  (not required for any visa)
- Copies of any visas obtained to visit fiance, if any. (not required)
- document such as hotel reservations, photos, evidence of purchase of ticket from bank statements can be used as alternatives (we both have tickets/boarding passes, as well as some hotel reservations, etc) (not required)
- Wedding invitations (not required)
- Two testimonials from family/friends who've seen the relationship develop over time  (cannot be considered)
- 2 x utility bills with sponsors name and property she lives in such as gas, electricity, internet, water, or phone bills (not required)
- Property inspection report for flat/apartment of property (not required)

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 02:44:55 PM »
I'm glad you made it here. KFDancer and ksand24 will make sure you are on the right track!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You are the best thank you so much for sending me here!  If it's possible you need to be given a medal.

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 02:45:26 PM »
I'm not sure how to directly reply to you KFdancer but:

Not sure what you mean by what our circumstances are, feel free to clarify and I will really appreciate your advice.

My fiancee is in her first year of teaching, she has been teaching at the same school for at least 6 months now, and does make at least 18,600 a year (though I'm not sure it comes out to 9,300 in the six months, but she should have her employment contract which states her pay).  She will be moving to another school next school year but that will be after we are married, and she will earn a little more there than she is now, still full-time.

When I move over I will live with her parents until we get married. After we get married I will be living with her in the flat she already owns (but she has been renting out over the last couple of years).  When the renters contract runs out she isn't renewing it, and we are going to live there.

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 02:48:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum :).

First off, you absolutely do NOT need to use a lawyer, and I wouldn't bother, personally. Approximately 95-98% of UK visa applications made in the US are approved.

Unless you have reasons to believe your character will be called into question and that you will be refused a visa for the UK because of it (criminal convictions, previous illegal working or overstaying in the UK, previous refused visas or entries to the UK), there is no need to use a lawyer.

In regards to your document list, there is a large number of documents on there that are not needed at all and you can take out completely:

- Applicants birth certificate (I have this) (not required for any visa)
- Supporting letter illustrating who the applicant is, relationship nature with partner, how the relationship developed, why the applicant wishes to come to the UK, what the applicant intends to do when issued the visa (I have this) (not required
- Certificate of degree for applicant (I assume my university degree? I have the original so that's not an issue) (cannot be considered)
- Testimonials from family saying the applicant is in a genuine relationship with the sponsor (cannot be considered)

- Certified copy of birth certificate  (not required for any visa)
- Copies of any visas obtained to visit fiance, if any. (not required)
- document such as hotel reservations, photos, evidence of purchase of ticket from bank statements can be used as alternatives (we both have tickets/boarding passes, as well as some hotel reservations, etc) (not required)
- Wedding invitations (not required)
- Two testimonials from family/friends who've seen the relationship develop over time  (cannot be considered)
- 2 x utility bills with sponsors name and property she lives in such as gas, electricity, internet, water, or phone bills (not required)
- Property inspection report for flat/apartment of property (not required)

So we basically wasted a bunch of time and money? Although I am extremely frustrated about that, I don't have time to deal with the lawyers.  What exactly do I need to provide, and what does my fiancee need to provide?  Is it okay if we include the testimonials anyway?  Is it okay to include all the stuff I mentioned even though its of no use?

What do we need to do to get this done?

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 02:48:26 PM »

With your help I am hoping to get the application done today or tomorrow, get the BRP appointment done late this week or early next week, and ship everything to UKVI when I receive documents from my fiancee. Please let me know what my next step is regarding to the application as I'm not waiting for the immigration lawyers if I am able to do this on my own (with your help and advice).

Thank you so much!

You definitely don't want to submit the application until after you have received all of the supporting documents. 

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 02:51:07 PM »
You definitely don't want to submit the application until after you have received all of the supporting documents.

I just realized how terrible that read.  I meant submit the application online/complete the online application and print it out.  Is it okay to do the online application, print it out, have the BRP appointment set up or whatever I have to do for that, so that way when my fiancee sends the supporting documents and I receive everything, I can package it all up (application, documents, BRP) and send it off?

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 02:51:53 PM »
Here is my general list of documents that are required, though they may need to be further tailored to your situation. It sounds like she will meet Category A of the financial requirement, so I have included those documents

My list:

Applicant (US citizen)
- Receipt for priority processing (if paying for priority)
- return shipping label
- Optional contents letter... no personal info, just a list of documents in the package
- Printed online application form (don't submit until you have all the documents in your hands and are completely ready to mail the application package to Sheffield)
- Completed VAF4a Appendix 2 form
- Stamped Biometrics Confirmation Sheet (when you have attended the biometrics appointment)
- Receipt for IHS surcharge payment
- 1 passport photo (they can be US or UK size)
- US passport
- All previous passports

Sponsor (UK citizen)
- Copy UK passport photo page (photocopy usually okay, but can be certified by the Post Office for about £10)
- Sponsor letter of support for the visa, with no personal feelings, just stating how she meets each visa requirement:
i) how she qualifies to be a sponsor (her UK citizenship)
ii) her current employment details and which financial category she meets
iii) where you will live together in the UK, including the address and property details
iv) a short history of the relationship and why you are choosing to live in the UK together - short and to the point, with dates and facts only, no personal feelings.

Accommodation
If she owns her flat and you will live there together:
- her Land Registry document
Optional extra:
- her latest original mortgage statement

Finances
Category A:
- 6 full months of original payslips showing earnings of at least £18,600 before tax (£1,550 per month before tax if salaried) - the latest one must be dated within 28 days of your online application date
- 6 full months of original bank statements showing the deposit of every payslip - the latest one must be dated within 28 days of your online application date
- original letter from her current employer, dated within 28 days of your online application date, stating:
1) how long she has worked there,
2) hwe current salary,
3) how long she's been earning that current salary,
4) the type of employment
Optional but recommended as the guidance says they may ask for them:
- original job contract
- latest P60

Relationship evidence
- no more than 2 photos of you together
- boarding passes from trips to see each other
- any physical letters and cards sent to each other
- 1-2 pages of screenshots of WhatsApp calls/messages... no message content should be included
- 1-2 pages of screenshots of any other communication type

Evidence of Plans to marry in the UK:
- email chain from church or registry office enquiring about possible dates for the ceremony
or
- provisional booking for the wedding, though most people cannot confirm dates until they have their visa and are in the UK, as you will have to wait at least 28 days from giving notice before you can marry, possibly up to 70 days if your case is referred to UKVI.

You should also include photocopies of all original documents you wish to be returned to you.

Things you do not need because they won't or can't be considered:
- testimonials from family and friends
- birth certificates
- utility bills
- your degree certificate/transcripts
- property inspection report
- receipts from restaurants, hotels etc.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:56:23 PM by ksand24 »

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 02:53:06 PM »
I just realized how terrible that read.  I meant submit the application online/complete the online application and print it out.  Is it okay to do the online application, print it out, have the BRP appointment set up or whatever I have to do for that, so that way when my fiancee sends the supporting documents and I receive everything, I can package it all up (application, documents, BRP) and send it off?

Nope - you should wait until you have EVERY single document in your hands and ready to mail to Sheffield before you submit the application and pay for the visa.

You only have 5 days from biometrics to get everything in the mail and you don't want to suddenly realise you're missing something and then miss the deadline.

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 02:55:26 PM »
I'm not sure how to directly reply to you KFdancer but:

Not sure what you mean by what our circumstances are, feel free to clarify and I will really appreciate your advice.

My fiancee is in her first year of teaching, she has been teaching at the same school for at least 6 months now, and does make at least 18,600 a year (though I'm not sure it comes out to 9,300 in the six months, but she should have her employment contract which states her pay).  She will be moving to another school next school year but that will be after we are married, and she will earn a little more there than she is now, still full-time.

When I move over I will live with her parents until we get married. After we get married I will be living with her in the flat she already owns (but she has been renting out over the last couple of years).  When the renters contract runs out she isn't renewing it, and we are going to live there.

That's what was meant by what your circumstances are, namely:
- her employment situation
- where you will live in the UK

What date is your wedding planned for?

• Liked: 170
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »
There are 3 requirements for the visa:

1.) Financial - which it looks like she meets Category A. This means 6 months of bank statements (originals or print outs that have been stamped).

2.) Relationship - sounds like you've got this covered with communication, boarding passes, letter of invite from fiancee and plans for the wedding (which are also required).

3.) Accommodation - you will need proof that you have somewhere suitable to live. This could come in the form of a letter from her parents saying you will live there AND proof they own the property. Proof of ownership is from the land registry records, which you can google. It's a small fee to order a copy.

And again, do NOT submit your application until you have all of the supporting documentation at hand.
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 03:26:30 PM »
That's what was meant by what your circumstances are, namely:
- her employment situation
- where you will live in the UK

What date is your wedding planned for?

The wedding is 22 July 2018.  However, I was coming over a little early so that I could help plan the wedding (menus, tastings, etc) and because we were invited to one of her friends weddings which I was hoping to attend in May.

And am I able to start the application but not pay for or submit it?  That way I can submit it and get the BRP appointment done as soon as I receive her documents?

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 03:28:15 PM »
There are 3 requirements for the visa:

1.) Financial - which it looks like she meets Category A. This means 6 months of bank statements (originals or print outs that have been stamped).

2.) Relationship - sounds like you've got this covered with communication, boarding passes, letter of invite from fiancee and plans for the wedding (which are also required).

3.) Accommodation - you will need proof that you have somewhere suitable to live. This could come in the form of a letter from her parents saying you will live there AND proof they own the property. Proof of ownership is from the land registry records, which you can google. It's a small fee to order a copy.

And again, do NOT submit your application until you have all of the supporting documentation at hand.

I will relay this information to her and do what I can to get us set up and ready to go.  Thank you!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab