Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Notary  (Read 2447 times)

• Liked: 4
Re: Notary
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 08:37:30 PM »
Thanks! I use this service all the time! Unfortunately not all companies/states will accept them :(
I’ve used online notaries - the law allows it. I used this one https://www.notarycam.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1q3VBRCFARIsAPHJXrFvQecS3nlFCUJNsRaCWl20-XR3NkYO48dhQGdkBR0_ccFxC4EuT8oaAi0EEALw_wcB

There are others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 10:06:26 AM »

Going to see a lawyer soon about a free (donation to Charity) will. Emailed them to see what they would charge the Daughter to do what she needs done. My guess is that it won't be cheap.

We did that a few years ago.  I think it was £150.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 11:44:53 AM »
Yeah, they said 150 was their usual fee, but that we could make a donation of any size.  Since my will will be extremely minimalist (no property, really, other than household goods, and my bank account here in the UK) there shouldn't be much work involved. The Daughter is already named beneficiary on all my other accounts. So I'll probably donate 100 since it's going to charity.

They also can't do the notary thing. Still waiting to hear from the JP Court.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 06:46:11 PM »
Found a notary, dual citizenship US&UK with both qualifications. If anyone is ever interested he will travel anything to you in London.

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 11:15:36 AM »
Ok, I can confirm that if you live in Scotland your local JP court can notarize documents, and will do so at no charge.  We have an appointment now - unfortunately the soonest one for Glasgow was for early May. But they said to also check around as some of the smaller JP Courts are not as busy so the wait may not be that long.

I guess we could take the train to Paisley and do it sooner...

• Liked: 768
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 11:21:54 AM »
Ok, I can confirm that if you live in Scotland your local JP court can notarize documents, and will do so at no charge.  We have an appointment now - unfortunately the soonest one for Glasgow was for early May. But they said to also check around as some of the smaller JP Courts are not as busy so the wait may not be that long.

I guess we could take the train to Paisley and do it sooner...
But then you would have to go to Paisley. And one place you don't want to be is Paisley especially near a court.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 01:24:12 PM »
oooooooooooooo!

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 05:08:56 PM »
Hmmm. I wonder if there's a JP Court in Stirling.... I saw the castle once, at the gallop. Might like to see it again. Of course, I also seem to remember that the hill was incredibly steep, so might not be able to walk it. (I had a rentycar that time.)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 05:15:30 PM »
Ok, I can confirm that if you live in Scotland your local JP court can notarize documents, and will do so at no charge. 

Excellent find Nan! Thank you for sharing!  ;D

.Signing documents

Justices of the Peace (JPs) also have the authority to sign and/or witness a variety of legal and other general documents.  Usually the document concerned will indicate if a JP’s signature is required but these may include:
affidavits (statements sworn under oath). These documents are often witnessed by JPs as part of the simplified divorce procedure.
certified true copies of documents, for example, for passport or visa applications (but not the passport application itself as that has to be signed by someone who has known you for over 2 years). Note that JPs may limit the number of documents that may be certified on any one occasion. You must bring the principal documents and the photocopies to be certified.
pension documents
various forms of statutory declarations eg for changing your name, for when a pawn ticket has been lost,etc.
Appointments

You will need  to make an appointment to get a document signed or witnessed by a JP. Contact your local JP Court for more information. The signing service by JPs is currently free of charge. You will require to bring documents with you for identification purposes eg driving licence, passport and the forms you require signed or witnessed. Note:  JPs do not compose or supply the forms. If that is required you should consult a solicitor. Most are also Notaries Public.  For that service they may charge a fee.

Documents are usually signed in the JP court building but not in the formal courtroom setting. The JP will be there, often along with a legal adviser to give the JP legal advice if required, and to make sure that legal procedures are followed. If you want a JP to sign a document, you will be asked to take an oath or to affirm that you will tell the truth.

Councillors / members of local authorities can also sign certain documents – mainly statutory declarations, but not affidavits. You should be able to make an appointment to see a councillor at local authority offices or at councillors’ surgeries.

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/the-courts/jp-court/signing-documents

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 07:26:26 PM »
You're welcome! Always glad to share good news.  :D

• Liked: 768
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 07:58:52 PM »
Hmmm. I wonder if there's a JP Court in Stirling.... I saw the castle once, at the gallop. Might like to see it again. Of course, I also seem to remember that the hill was incredibly steep, so might not be able to walk it. (I had a rentycar that time.)
Starting next weekend we are getting a landtrain that goes from the city centre to the castle!! I'll find the link for you and post it soon.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2018, 08:19:16 PM »
Oh, coolies!!! Perhaps we'll take the train over, do our notary business, and then play tourist. Maybe we can find a nice B&B and spend the night. Daughter is going to need a break - she's slogging through papers and looking more tired every day. Should be done writing in early April, and then just has to do the dissertation. So hopefully the transport will be running by then and we can just make it a mini-vacation.  ;D

Sponsored Links