Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spouse Visa Help!  (Read 7364 times)

• Liked: 3595
Re: Spouse Visa Help!
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 01:28:23 PM »
Do you guys know how much it is for British citizen to get a spouse visa in the states?We might get one for my future husband after in a few years as well. Just want to know what we should expect. Is it the same process like the UK?

It's a very different process to getting a spousal visa UK, but it's nowhere near as expensive.

If you are living in the UK with your spouse, you can apply via Direct Consular Filing (DCF) through the US Embassy, which is a bit faster than applying from the US. The exact type of visa you apply for depends on how long you have been married (if less than 2 years, it's a conditional residence visa, which needs to have the conditions removed after 2 years in the US)

- First you file an I-130 petition to sponsor his visa, which costs $535... that takes anywhere from 2-6 months to be approved
- Once the petition has been approved, your spouse applies for his visa, which costs $325. It will involve a medical exam with private embassy-approved doctor in London, which I think is about £300 and a visa interview at the US Embassy
- After that, you wait for the visa to be issued and his passport return to him

They advise that you start the visa process about 10 months before you plan to move to the US.

Also the spouse visa in the uk will last me two years, correct?

The spousal visa is valid for 33 months (2 years, 9 months), but when you get to 2.5 years, you apply to extend it for another 2.5 years. After 5 years in the UK, you can apply for ILR, which is Indefinite Leave to Remain (permanent residence), and then once you have ILR, you can apply for UK citizenship.

I would budget at least £10,000 for UK visa costs over the next 5+ years.

• Liked: 69
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 04:41:24 PM »
Got it, thanks. Sounds like I have two spouse visas (2.5 years each) then I can apply for citizenship, correct? Do I have to get the spouse visa and the renewel one after the other (continuously) and then I can apply for citizenship? Like would I be able at to go back to America after the first spouse visa for a few years then come back to uk and apply for the renewal then I can do citizenship. Like would I have to start over in time so to speak? Does it have to be straight five years in a row? Sorry if that was confusing. Thanks!
Met: In Alnwick, England (Study abroad) Sept 10, 2009
Reconnected: March 25, 2015 on Facebook
Started Dating: April 21, 2016
Engaged: December 24, 2017
Married: July 15, 2018 in USA
Online app submitted: August 9, 2018
Biometrics & Docs sent (priority): August 10, 2018
Package arrived in Sheffield: August 13, 2018
Email from Sheffield: August 15, 2018
Emailed to escalate: September 28, 2018
Decision made email: October 2, 2018 (34BD)
APPROVED!!! October 4, 2018

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 05:12:10 PM »
Got it, thanks. Sounds like I have two spouse visas (2.5 years each) then I can apply for citizenship, correct? Do I have to get the spouse visa and the renewel one after the other (continuously) and then I can apply for citizenship? Like would I be able at to go back to America after the first spouse visa for a few years then come back to uk and apply for the renewal then I can do citizenship. Like would I have to start over in time so to speak? Does it have to be straight five years in a row? Sorry if that was confusing. Thanks!

You can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after five years THEN you can apply for citizenship, if you’ve met the residency requirement.

You need to remain a resident in the UK to qualify for each visa (exceptional circumstances may be allowed).

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 05:42:47 PM »

Yes, you have do the 5 years all at once or start back at the beginning again.

You can leave for up to 2 years on ILR but then you would have to wait until you'd been back in the UK long enough to fulfil the requirements on time spent out of the country before applying for citizenship.

Best way to do it is 5 years straight to ILR then apply right away for citizenship which you can do as you are a spouse.  :)

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 12:57:52 AM »
Hi there. I have another question about the uk spouse visa. If me and my spouse decide to move to america during the two years of having the visa, what do we have to do? Will we have to pay a fee, if so how much? Do we have to anything if we leave? Just want to know what the rules are (or if there are any rules) for leaving england in the middle of the spouse visa. Thanks for your help!

• Liked: 387
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 09:42:33 AM »
If me and my spouse decide to move to america during the two years of having the visa, what do we have to do?  Will we have to pay a fee, if so how much?

In regards to your UK visa, no.  There's no fee to pay if you decide to move back to the US after moving to the UK. 

Note though that if your UK visa is close to expiring and you're still waiting for your spouse's US visa (which can take 8-10 months), you'll need to apply for FLR(M) to extend your UK visa if you want to stay in the UK together until ultimately moving to the US when the US visa comes through.

Do we have to anything if we leave? Just want to know what the rules are (or if there are any rules) for leaving england in the middle of the spouse visa.

No, there aren't any rules about leaving the UK in the middle of your spouse visa.  If you decide to move back to the US, that's absolutely fine.  There's no penalty for doing so in regards to your UK visa.

I can't remember if it's been mentioned previously, but something to keep in mind when considering your moving options is that if you move to the US and let your UK spouse visa expire, it may be difficult to to qualify for a UK visa if you later decide to move back to the UK.

If you and your UK spouse have been living outside the UK and want to move back, your UK spouse

- must have been earning the financial requirement outside the UK

AND

- must have a guaranteed UK job meeting the financial requirement starting within 3 months of arrival

Otherwise, your UK spouse will need to move to the UK ahead of you and secure a job meeting the financial requirement before you could apply for a visa (meaning potentially you would need to spend several months apart), or you would need the full amount of savings to meet the requirement.

This isn't to actively dissuade you from moving back to the US, but just some information to keep in mind when weighing your options.  Unfortunately, some couples have been caught out by the requirements and found out that it wasn't possible to qualify for a UK visa to return.

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2018, 07:05:04 PM »
So we just got married (YAY!) I just sent in my new US passport with my new last name. once we get that we can apply for the spouse visa.

I was just going over the paper visa application. I have a question about the financial section..

It says that we only have to fill out one of the options. My husband (UK) works there (and exceeds the amount he needs to earn) and will fill out that section, do you recommend sending out the cash saving as well? In this case, is it better for them to know all of this information?

Do we need 6 months of his work paychecks?

Do we need 6 months of each bank account from the both of us?

Do I print these out and put in the in the envelope with the application?

Do I have to put any income I've received, even if it was a wedding present?

Is there anything that I should not forget?

Do you have any tips on filling out this sections?

Any other general tips to get it completed correctly?

I'm not able to fill out the online application yet as we are waiting on my new passport. I'm trying my best to do as much research as possible as I want to see my husband get this done correctly!

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2018, 07:22:14 PM »
So we just got married (YAY!) I just sent in my new US passport with my new last name. once we get that we can apply for the spouse visa.

I was just going over the paper visa application. I have a question about the financial section..

It says that we only have to fill out one of the options. My husband (UK) works there (and exceeds the amount he needs to earn) and will fill out that section, do you recommend sending out the cash saving as well? In this case, is it better for them to know all of this information?

Do we need 6 months of his work paychecks?

Do we need 6 months of each bank account from the both of us?

Do I print these out and put in the in the envelope with the application?

Do I have to put any income I've received, even if it was a wedding present?

Is there anything that I should not forget?

Do you have any tips on filling out this sections?

Any other general tips to get it completed correctly?

I'm not able to fill out the online application yet as we are waiting on my new passport. I'm trying my best to do as much research as possible as I want to see my husband get this done correctly!

Congrats!  :)

If you have savings over £62,500 that you have held for more than 6 months then use savings only, it's easier.

If you don't have that amount but your husband makes over the requirement then just use his employment income alone. Yours won't come into it. And don't add savings that are not required, that will just confuse the issue.

You need to do a little more reading on the requirements. You also need to meet the relationship and accommodation requirements and provide all the supporting documentation for those as well as the financial requirements which are very specific.

Re-read this thread, there's a lot of good info at the beginning and most importantly, take your time. This is too important and too expensive a process to rush into.  :)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:26:43 PM by larrabee »

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2018, 07:38:42 PM »
Okay, we can do that. Do we still have to list our savings and give our bank account statements in that section or should we be fine without it?

Thanks,
Carly

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2018, 07:43:37 PM »
Okay, we can do that. Do we still have to list our savings and give our bank account statements in that section or should we be fine without it?

Thanks,
Carly

If he meets the requirement without savings then don't mention savings.
As well as his bank statements you will need his pay statements and a letter from his employer (please read the link I posted) and recommended but not mandatory, his P60 and employment contract. Everything must be original (or certified as stated in the guidance) and cover the required period, 6 or 12 months depending on the category you are using.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:46:20 PM by larrabee »

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2018, 10:14:50 PM »
Thank you for the info!

Another question- Should I also send in my old passport, the one will all of the stamps in the UK? or is the new passport with my new last name just fine?

This process is very confusing, sorry for all of the questions!

-C

• Liked: 85
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2018, 10:40:38 PM »
Thank you for the info!

Another question- Should I also send in my old passport, the one will all of the stamps in the UK? or is the new passport with my new last name just fine?

-C

You should include all passports, old and new :)
FLR(M) Timeline:
Application type: Spouse settlement visa extension (super priority)
BRP expiration: Late May 2021
Online application submitted: April 14, 2021
Biometrics appointment: April 25, 2021
Decision made: April 26, 2021 - emailed at 1:40 pm

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2018, 06:02:39 AM »

Before you apply, be sure to post a list of everything you intend to submit so that we can check it over for you and make sure you are not leaving anything out.  :)

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2018, 02:42:27 PM »
Oh great idea! I will for sure put a list of those thing  :)

What do you advise me to put in the blank part of the paper application- "is there any other information you wish to be considered as part of your application?"

Should I explain anything specific here like how we met or something like that?

Thanks again!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2018, 02:44:12 PM »
Oh great idea! I will for sure put a list of those thing  :)

What do you advise me to put in the blank part of the paper application- "is there any other information you wish to be considered as part of your application?"

Should I explain anything specific here like how we met or something like that?

Thanks again!

Only use this if there is anything unusual about your application or if you need additional space to answer a previous question.  Most people leave it blank.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab