Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can Someone get married in the UK on a visitor visa  (Read 1373 times)

• Liked: 55
Can Someone get married in the UK on a visitor visa
« on: April 19, 2018, 05:52:02 PM »
Hey Everyone,

Theres an acquaintance of mine who is getting married on a visitor visa today in Northern England. From what I have read on here that shouldnt have been allowed? I think its unfair to the loads of people on this forum who have had to apply for a fiance visa and await a response from the UK Home Office.

Can someone advise on how this even happened?

• Liked: 170
Re: Can Someone get married in the UK on a visitor visa
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 05:59:24 PM »
Hey Everyone,

Theres an acquaintance of mine who is getting married on a visitor visa today in Northern England. From what I have read on here that shouldnt have been allowed? I think its unfair to the loads of people on this forum who have had to apply for a fiance visa and await a response from the UK Home Office.

Can someone advise on how this even happened?

Did they come to the UK with the intention of getting married or did the plan change? Technically, no they are not allowed to get married. But if the plan changed, then there are some conditions under which that can happen. I find it equally frustrating when the rules are not universally applied...

What did they say to the immigration officer at the airport? Were they honest?

Do they intend on settling in the UK?
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 06:04:15 PM »
They had the intention of settling in the UK since they sold their house, quit their job and told everyone they were moving here permanently. They told the immigration officer that they were most likely visiting. This person intends on staying in the UK

Did they come to the UK with the intention of getting married or did the plan change? Technically, no they are not allowed to get married. But if the plan changed, then there are some conditions under which that can happen. I find it equally frustrating when the rules are not universally applied...

What did they say to the immigration officer at the airport? Were they honest?

Do they intend on settling in the UK?

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 06:07:17 PM »
They had the intention of settling in the UK since they sold their house, quit their job and told everyone they were moving here permanently. They told the immigration officer that they were most likely visiting. This person intends on staying in the UK

If they apply for FLR in this situation, the application will be refused and they will end up having to return to the US and follow the proper procedure.
Tell them that they will save a ton of money doing it the right way!

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 06:12:48 PM »
I doubt they'll listen to me now that they are married. I'm sure they are going to make an appointment to apply from within the UK as well

If they apply for FLR in this situation, the application will be refused and they will end up having to return to the US and follow the proper procedure.
Tell them that they will save a ton of money doing it the right way!

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 06:16:48 PM »
I doubt they'll listen to me now that they are married. I'm sure they are going to make an appointment to apply from within the UK as well

I would seriously make the effort to tell them, then if they don't listen, you can at least walk away from the inevitable train wreck with a clear conscience!

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 06:45:53 PM »
I tried but they even got upset with me when I told them they wouldnt be able to get married here or be able to apply from within the UK. At this point I'm just witnessing a major train wreck waiting to happen. I think it doesnt help that they are double my age so probably dont want to listen to a 28 year old

I would seriously make the effort to tell them, then if they don't listen, you can at least walk away from the inevitable train wreck with a clear conscience!

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 06:52:35 PM »
I tried but they even got upset with me when I told them they wouldnt be able to get married here or be able to apply from within the UK. At this point I'm just witnessing a major train wreck waiting to happen. I think it doesnt help that they are double my age so probably dont want to listen to a 28 year old

Oh dear.
Do they just not understand the rules? Could you suggest they pop in here, maybe between us we can save them from a certain refusal?

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 06:56:37 PM »
I think they think they are exempt or above the rules somehow. I've suggested for them to get advice from here and even the uk gov website. But since they decided to get married even after I warned them against it they probably dont think there are rules for them

Oh dear.
Do they just not understand the rules? Could you suggest they pop in here, maybe between us we can save them from a certain refusal?

• Liked: 342
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 07:17:41 PM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/27/grandmother-has-married-briton-27-years-deported-singapore-just/

The paper hadn't got it quite right as she got ILR years ago and both returned to her country for years. He returned to the UK with their children for school and she used to visit. Years later when her children were adults, she entered again as a vistor and expected to be able to stay. 

He said: "We went up to see her on Friday at the detention centre and she was in good spirits.

"We have been fighting all along to get bail for her so that she could come home while it was sorted out. 

"To us it seemed like red tape that just needed to be cut through, we thought she'd be coming home and so did Irene.

"The idea that they would actually go through with his and send her to Singapore just seemed so ridiculous that it couldn't happen. But suddenly it has.

and

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/grandmother-deported-to-singapore-was-treated-like-a-terrorist-a3480291.html

A Home Office spokesman said on Monday: "All applications for leave to remain in the UK are considered on their individual merits and in line with the immigration rules.

"We expect those with no legal right to remain in the country to leave."

She then returned on a spouse visa to start her 5 years to ILR.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 07:22:13 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 07:19:56 PM »
They *usually* refuse a marriage if not on the correct visa but not always.  It is so frustrating when they change the rules.

But they won't be able to apply from inside the UK.  That will be black and white.

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 07:20:08 PM »
I think they think they are exempt or above the rules somehow. I've suggested for them to get advice from here and even the uk gov website. But since they decided to get married even after I warned them against it they probably dont think there are rules for them

Yeah, we see this from time to time, it's unfortunate.

I guess you can take a horse to water...

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 07:28:30 PM »
They *usually* refuse a marriage if not on the correct visa but not always.  It is so frustrating when they change the rules.

But they won't be able to apply from inside the UK.  That will be black and white.

It is frustrating. No wonder people think the rules don't apply when they have just got away with marrying on a vistor's visa.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 07:32:05 PM »
It is frustrating. No wonder people think the rules don't apply when they have just got away with marrying on a vistor's visa.

The Registrar fowards their request to UKVI and they decide; we have seen this on here before. Being married still doesn't mean they can stay in the UK if that is what they hoped for. A 28 day overstay will likely impact on any application for British citizenship, even if she does return on the correct visa.

Sometimes UKVI will give permission to an illegal to marry and then they know where they are and at what time, to collect them.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 07:42:26 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 113
Can Someone get married in the UK on a visitor visa
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 10:07:21 PM »
Nobody should be allowed to marry on a visitor visa regardless if “plans changed” from the time they entered the UK. It is really unfair for those waiting and going through the correct channels to secure a fiance visa. People who go this route make me mad. I hope UKVI imposes penalties like ban them from applying for the spouse visa for at least 1 year or something. Even if they go back to their home country to apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:11:18 PM by masonjohnsmum »
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab