Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can Someone get married in the UK on a visitor visa  (Read 1374 times)

• Liked: 342
Re: Can Someone get married in the UK on a visitor visa
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 12:43:58 PM »

But they won't be able to apply from inside the UK.  That will be black and white.

I meant to say that I found out what happened to the person who was refused a spouse visa from the US years ago because he had NHS debt for life saving treatment for his cancer. The first bill was 98k. I seem to recall he said on here that after that refusal he then managed to enter the UK as a visitor?

If it's the same one, as a visitor, he then tried to apply to remain in the UK with his wife and child, but he was refused and was deported. The papers wrote that he said it was against medical advice for him to travel back to the US. He then tried again to get a spouse visa to the UK and was refused. That was all back in 2014 so I have no idea if he then sponsored his wife to the US instead.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:26:14 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 12:45:01 PM »
I meant to say that I found out what happened to the person who was refused a spouse visa from the US years ago bause he had NHS debt for life saving treatment for his cancer. The first bill was 98k. I seem to recall he said on here that after that refusal he then managed to enter the UK as a visitor?

If is is the same one, he then tried to apply to remain in the UK with his wife and child, but he was refused and was deported. The papers wrote that he said it was against medical advice for him to travel back to the US. He then tried again to get a spouse visa to the UK and was refused. That was all back in 2012 so I no idea if he then sposored his wife to the US.

I thought that he was granted leave to remain? hmmm...

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 12:47:55 PM »
I thought that he was granted leave to remain? hmmm...

Unless there are more than one trying that, which there might be-

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/12/us-husband-ralph-marx-sent-home-because-he-has-cancer-4539292/

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 12:59:59 PM »
Unless there are more than one trying that, which there might be-

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/12/us-husband-ralph-marx-sent-home-because-he-has-cancer-4539292/

Oh wow.  Yeah, that's got to be the same guy.

What was always crazy was that he HAD insurance.  Yes, he absolutely should not have been living in the UK and using visitor visa's to circumvent having a proper leave to remain visa... but WHY did the NHS not work with the insurance company to pay for the treatment he received?  That seems so bizarre to me.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 01:03:32 PM »
A 28 day overstay will likely impact on any application for British citizenship, even if she does return on the correct visa.

Could you please clarify what you mean by this, Sirius?  As I understood laws pertaining to naturalisation and immigration were separate, how might a visitor overstay affect a citizenship application?  I didn't see the OP mention anything about an overstay, 28 days or otherwise.

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 01:19:06 PM »
Oh wow.  Yeah, that's got to be the same guy.

What was always crazy was that he HAD insurance.  Yes, he absolutely should not have been living in the UK and using visitor visa's to circumvent having a proper leave to remain visa... but WHY did the NHS not work with the insurance company to pay for the treatment he received?  That seems so bizarre to me.

I could never understand that either as he could have contacted his insurers and sent them his bills and cleared his NHS debt. Then applied again for a spouse visa. Instead he entered the UK as a "visitor" after that refusal but it seems he didn't plan to leave. No wonder the checks get so hard for those that really would leave.

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 01:20:58 PM »
I could never understand that either as he could have contacted his insurers and sent them his bills and cleared his NHS debt. Then applied again for a spouse visa. Instead he entered the UK as a "visitor" after that refusal but it seems he didn't plan to leave. No wonder the checks get so hard for those that really would leave.

There was definitely a sense of entitlement.  I feel for the guy and his health issues - without question.

But how he managed to enter the UK for years without a second glance without a proper visa really is shocking.  No wonder if felt the rules were not applicable to him to enter as a visitor after the refusal.

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 01:32:24 PM »
Could you please clarify what you mean by this, Sirius?  As I understood laws pertaining to naturalisation and immigration were separate, how might a visitor overstay affect a citizenship application?

Yes those rules are different. While an overstay will not affect a spouse visa (UK immigration laws) it will likely affect Brirish citizenship (nationality laws) because the latter has a Good Character requirement. Under present GC rules, an overstay of over 28 days is a fail of Good Character for 10 years.

Immigration laws end at ILR. EU rules end at PR. The UK does not have to grant British citizenship as it is not a right.

I didn't see the OP mention anything about an overstay, 28 days or otherwise.

They had the intention of settling in the UK since they sold their house, quit their job and told everyone they were moving here permanently. They told the immigration officer that they were most likely visiting. This person intends on staying in the UK

If they apply to remain in the UK after their wedding, they don't have much time left. Visitors cannot apply to remain in the UK but by the time they get their refusal, they would have likely overstayed their time allowed in the UK.

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 01:42:28 PM »

But how he managed to enter the UK for years without a second glance without a proper visa really is shocking. 

He was entering as a visitor and leaving on time, apart from the last one where his cancer treatment took him over his 6 months allowed (if the papers are to be believed). The visitor rules changes didn't start until March 2015 (?). The laws to protect the NHS took two years plus to go though and came in under the Immigration Act 2014.

No wonder if felt the rules were not applicable to him to enter as a visitor after the refusal.

Except that he didn't leave when that time to visit was over.  Having been refused a spouse visa from the US because of his NHS debt, he then entered the UK as a visitor and wouldn't leave - until he was deported.

Each time people refuse to leave when their time has ended (in any country), it makes it harder for those people who would leave, to enter.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 01:51:01 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 1
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 01:50:58 PM »
Thanks for clarifying, Sirius!  I get you now.  If they're hellbent on applying from within the UK, maybe they should consider an in-person appointment. ;P

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2018, 01:53:31 PM »
Thanks for clarifying, Sirius!  I get you now.  If they're hellbent on applying from within the UK, maybe they should consider an in-person appointment. ;P

Sorry, I should have been clearer when I first posted. I'm used to people like KFDancer, ksand, larrabee and others, knowing the rules and now I just put the end bit, instead of all the workings of how I got to that. :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 01:55:15 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2018, 01:54:14 PM »
He was entering as a visitor and leaving on time, apart from the last one where his cancer treatment took him over his 6 months allowed (if the papers are to be believed). The visitor rules changes didn't start until March 2015 (?). The laws to protect the NHS took two years plus to go though and came in under the Immigration Act 2014.

But it was obvious he was using visitor visas to live in the U.K.  The six months out of 12  "rule of thumb" was never applied in his case. 

• Liked: 55
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2018, 07:02:29 PM »
That's crazy because it blatantly states on the UK gov website you cannot get married in the UK as a visitor.  *sigh I guess the rules only apply for some especially ones who have done little to no research on the process.

They *usually* refuse a marriage if not on the correct visa but not always.  It is so frustrating when they change the rules.

But they won't be able to apply from inside the UK.  That will be black and white.

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 07:36:52 PM »
That's crazy because it blatantly states on the UK gov website you cannot get married in the UK as a visitor.  *sigh I guess the rules only apply for some especially ones who have done little to no research on the process.

Pretty much!

It’s tough for us because we always advise people to follow the rules.  But UKVI often doesn’t follow their own rules.   ::)

• Liked: 35
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 09:40:32 PM »
I got married as a visitor in England but that was never my original intention. We received the ok from the Home Office. I knew that I’d have to go back the the US and apply for my visa though. In my opinion the issue is 100% with the Home Office. If they don’t want people getting married on visitor visas they need to not allow it. The inconsistency is maddening, I agree.
1st App Mailed: 03/14/18 STANDARD
Decision Made: 07/02/18(70 WD)
Decision: Denial
2nd App Mailed to NYC: 05/23/19 PRIORITY
Docs Arrived NYC: 05/28/19
Email to UKVI: 07/31/19
Email Recd to send Priority receipt: 08/02/19 (48 WD)
Visa Received: 08/09/19

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab