Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can Someone get married in the UK on a visitor visa  (Read 1371 times)

• Liked: 113
Can Someone get married in the UK on a visitor visa
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2018, 10:05:08 PM »
I got married as a visitor in England but that was never my original intention. We received the ok from the Home Office. I knew that I’d have to go back the the US and apply for my visa though. In my opinion the issue is 100% with the Home Office. If they don’t want people getting married on visitor visas they need to not allow it. The inconsistency is maddening, I agree.

I guess what irks me the most is this “I wasn’t aware” or “well, nobody said I couldn’t do it” attitude. Because it undermines everybody else who’s trying to follow the rules. And also the reason why rules keep getting tighter and tighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:06:29 PM by masonjohnsmum »
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

• Liked: 35
Re: Can Someone get married in the UK on a visitor visa
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2018, 01:15:05 AM »
I guess what irks me the most is this “I wasn’t aware” or “well, nobody said I couldn’t do it” attitude. Because it undermines everybody else who’s trying to follow the rules. And also the reason why rules keep getting tighter and tighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We spoke to an attorney that said we could get married because it wasn’t our intention when I came over. I completely get why it’s annoying though. I actually didn’t think we would be able to but the HO said it was ok. I don’t know if it will hurt my visa decision or not. I’ve got other issues that might contribute to a refusal but this one should be ok since the HO said ok, we will see!
1st App Mailed: 03/14/18 STANDARD
Decision Made: 07/02/18(70 WD)
Decision: Denial
2nd App Mailed to NYC: 05/23/19 PRIORITY
Docs Arrived NYC: 05/28/19
Email to UKVI: 07/31/19
Email Recd to send Priority receipt: 08/02/19 (48 WD)
Visa Received: 08/09/19

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2018, 06:18:44 AM »
We spoke to an attorney that said we could get married because it wasn’t our intention when I came over. I completely get why it’s annoying though. I actually didn’t think we would be able to but the HO said it was ok. I don’t know if it will hurt my visa decision or not. I’ve got other issues that might contribute to a refusal but this one should be ok since the HO said ok, we will see!

It won’t affect your visa decision.

All that matters for the visa is that your marriage is legal, and if UKVI said you could marry as a visitor, then that’s their issue, not yours... you did nothing wrong.

You were also aware that you couldn’t apply to stay from inside the UK, and you correctly returned to the US to apply for your spousal visa.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2018, 09:03:55 AM »

You’ll find NONE of us begrudge people marrying in the UK on a visitor visa.  Most of us chose to marry in the USA to avoid the crazy UK rules.  What we begrudge is the inconsistency and that the rules don’t apply to everyone.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2018, 09:56:06 AM »
You’ll find NONE of us begrudge people marrying in the UK on a visitor visa.  Most of us chose to marry in the USA to avoid the crazy UK rules.  What we begrudge is the inconsistency and that the rules don’t apply to everyone.

This, and the fact that the system punishes people for being prepared and planning their weddings far enough in advance that they need a fiancé visa. This seems very out of whack. It’s ok if, like Calitobrum, they know they can’t stay here after the wedding, but I fear many just assume since they’re married they don’t have to leave. It’d be better to either let no one marry on a visitor visa or scrap the whole fiancé process—more consistent and less confusing.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2018, 10:21:38 AM »
What we begrudge is the inconsistency and that the rules don’t apply to everyone.

Yeah, the most frustrating thing is when someone joins the forum, who is planning to marry in the UK, or who already has got married, and is either now determined to switch to FLR(M) in-country or has already been refused FLR(M)... and we give them the correct advice, that they have to leave and apply from their home country, but they refuse to believe it, or ignore it, or tell us we're wrong.

Then they go ahead and apply.... and in the end, they get granted the leave to remain anyway (though it's likely to be outside the rules on the 10-year path), even though they didn't qualify to apply in the first place... which means we look bad, and they continue to believe they were in the right all along.

Meanwhile, the immigration rules are tightened, and everyone else trying to do it the correct way gets hit with stricter requirements.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2018, 10:35:18 AM »
Yeah, the most frustrating thing is when someone joins the forum, who is planning to marry in the UK, or who already has got married, and is either now determined to switch to FLR(M) in-country or has already been refused FLR(M)... and we give them the correct advice, that they have to leave and apply from their home country, but they refuse to believe it, or ignore it, or tell us we're wrong.

Then they go ahead and apply.... and in the end, they get granted the leave to remain anyway (though it's likely to be outside the rules on the 10-year path), even though they didn't qualify to apply in the first place... which means we look bad, and they continue to believe they were in the right all along.

Meanwhile, the immigration rules are tightened, and everyone else trying to do it the correct way gets hit with stricter requirements.

This!
There are a few people out there who have done this and think that we don't know what we are talking about. It's beyond frustrating!

• Lover of Target and M&S
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2018, 02:17:10 PM »
I got married in Scotland, but returned to the US to begin the immigration process to the US for him. I was on a visitor visa, but I left a week after we got married. That was June, I returned in August for the month and then came back to the US to go to work.
Type of Application: Priority Settlement Spouse Visa
Online Application: 9 March, 2019  Philadelphia,US
Biometrics: 14 March 2019, Philadelphia
Application Mailed: 14 March 2019
Application Received in NY: 15 March 2019
Application Received in Sheffield: 19 March 2019
Decision email received: 16 April 2019
Passport received: 17 April 2019

Sponsored Links