Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Another New Member  (Read 971 times)

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Another New Member
« on: June 03, 2003, 02:03:24 AM »
Hello!  I am a member, however, I have been reading the forum for a few weeks.

I'm 34, married to a Brit and living in Hertfordshire (previously London and before that County Durham).  I've lived here for 5 years after a 2-year long distance relationship with my husband.  I have 2 children, one that's 15 and just moved back to the US, and another that's 4 months - both boys.  I'm originally from the Eastern Shore of Maryland.

I've enjoyed reading the forums and have learned loads.  For instance, I'm enjoying my first decent class of iced tea since leaving the States (can't you just hear my sighs of pleasure?), that there's an Outback Steak House not too far from me (yum, bloomin' onion), and various other handy tips for coping with living in the UK.

Overall, I think I've acclimatised rather well, but there are still a few stubborn Americanisms that I doubt I'll ever change (ie, chips will always be potato chips, pounds instead of kilograms or stones and Fahrenheit rather than Celsius).

I look forward to getting to know everyone and hopefully be able to share a bit of my expertise.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Liked: 1
Re: Another New Member
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 03:18:04 AM »
Hi there are greetings from Atlanta.  My heart's in the Chesapeake though in the Hampton Roads area.

Blue Crabs are yummy!

Anyway,  I'm glad that you have found the site useful and hope to see you post some more.  We all tend to be a rather friendly bunch overall.

What's been the most pleasant suprise for you living in the UK?

Or worst nightmare?

With two boys I bet you keep busy!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 03:18:39 AM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 04:10:10 AM »
Hi Caitlin,

Hiya from another yank in Atlanta! :)

Welcome to UKY!  This is a great site...I really like the folks and the great info. and support offered here!

I'm not there yet but will be moving over this month to join my Brit fiance.

Look forward to your posts!

-Sandy
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 04:15:34 AM »
See us southern folks are real nice.....
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Banned

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • NGUNN.NET WEBSITE
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 11:59:59 AM »
Hi , Orginally from Dayton Ohio...I'm southern by heart thought born in N. Carolina.

Anyhooo I'm just north of you in Milton Keynes.

Cynda Gunn

• Witchiepoo
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 02:25:23 PM »
Blue Crabs are yummy!

Oh yes indeed they are.  A steamy hot day, cold pitcher of beer and a bushel of crabs.  There's no better recipe for a picnic!

What's been the most pleasant suprise for you living in the UK?

Surprisingly enough, the weather.  I enjoy the milder climate, but I do miss having at least one or two really good snows a year.  We only seem to get light dustings in Herts.

Or worst nightmare?

Lack of convenience.  And this covers a range of topics from store hours, to dinky appliances, to overall lack of selections.  Oh, and the NHS.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.  :)

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2003, 06:15:37 PM »
Yummmm...forgot the beer part...

<has to run out and get some now>

I always wondered what it was about 5pm store closings and then thought.... hey how many times have I run to WalMart after a tiring day at work only to emerge an hour later and wish I had just gone home?

In the UK you just don't have to be tempted!

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2003, 06:23:07 PM »
Welcome Caitlin, you'll love it here.  I mostly read the posts but I do get in a few messages from time to time.  I'm in Boston USA and heading to Wales.  (Anyone moving to Wales?)  Your comment would be invaluable to someone like me.  There seems to be a good mix of those of us in the process of moving and those of you that have been there for a bit.  You all bring up so many things that can't occur to us that haven't been there yet that it can't help but make us try to deal with what is coming for us.  At least we know about these things now.  I never thought about the depression that seems to set in.  Did you experience that too?  If so how did you deal with it?  If not, why do you think you didn't?  How prepared were you to make your move?  Thanks Caitlin.  Welcome again.

Karen
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 06:24:04 PM by Kizmet122800 »
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• Witchiepoo
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2003, 09:42:26 PM »
You all bring up so many things that can't occur to us that haven't been there yet that it can't help but make us try to deal with what is coming for us.

This is a very good point.  There are many things for which I was simply not prepared.  Each time I had been to the UK before moving here, it was as a tourist.  And as a tourist, you don't have to deal with the practicalities of living here.  Things like weather reports and ovens being in Celsius, not being able to find the brand names you are used to, me saying and meaning one thing, yet the Brits interpreting it as something totally different.

These things seem trivial to me now because I've either overcome them or learned to deal with them.  But at the time, they were pretty darn frustrating.

I never thought about the depression that seems to set in.  Did you experience that too?  If so how did you deal with it?  If not, why do you think you didn't?  How prepared were you to make your move?

I've never been depressed whilst living here.  I did, admittedly, cry about 6 months before I left.  I was sitting in my bedroom, looking at my artificial Christmas tree in the living room, knowing I'd not be able to take it with me.  Then it hit me how much of my life I was going to have to leave behind because it didn't make sense to ship it.  The books I was going to have to weed through, the knick-knacks to be given or thrown away, the things I had horded and cherished for years.

I think there are few reasons that I've never been depressed about living here.  Primarily it's because I have such a supportive husband, who's really everything to me ... best friend, lover, sounding board, etc.  Secondly, I didn't have very much family left in the US, and what family there was, I wasn't that close to and that meant very few ties.

As far as being prepared, I thought I had all my bases covered.  Shippers arranged, visas sorted, medical and school records in my possession, flights booked, and a wedding fully planned.  I thought because of all my preparations that slotting in over here would be a dottle.

It was the little things that got me.  Not being able to find things in the supermarket, washing machines the size of my TV back home.  Just the thousands of things I dealt with everyday back home and took for granted, but here, they were either done differently or not at all.

I hope my rambling missive hasn't put you off.  I do love living here, but I also like to complain (and very loudly as my hubby would say) when things frustrate me.  That being said, I've learned to cope with many of the differences and actually enjoy quite a few now.

By the way, I'm looking forward to visiting Wales soon.  I've read several books on historical North Wales and can't wait to see the places, and try out a bit of Welsh.

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2003, 09:53:24 PM »
Hi Caitlinn  :D

Just wanted to add my greetings and welcome to you! Hope you find this site as encouraging and fun as I have!

Jen  [smiley=book.gif] (who is another atlantic coast transplant! I'm from NY State!)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 09:55:13 PM by jennydee »

• The Key to life is making the best of change.
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2003, 10:44:24 AM »
Hello Caitlinn,

Welcome to the board.  Must not say anything about the washing machine....must not say anything about the washing machine...  :-X  Actually who washes only 2.5 Kilos of laundry if they want to dry it as well.  That is basically two shirts and a pair of pants!  Give me my industrial sized American washer and separate dryer any day of the week.  Sorry for my little rant...I try to stop it but it really is a bone of contention for me.  I hate doing laundry as it is and now I have to do it twice as much becuase of the runt sized laundry machine.

BTW I love Maryland.
We all have shadows of self doubt in the corners of our beings self respect is an ongoing prcoess of vigilance.  It means learning to be able to live by an internal compass. - Sara Lawrence Lightfoot

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2003, 05:36:30 PM »
Hi Caitlinn,

Welcome!

I'm jealous that you're going to Wales..I wanna go there...don't know when we'll get the chance tho, but hopefully not too long after we get there.
My dh grew up in Hertfordshire, whereabouts are you?

I'm glad you mentioned all the "little things" I often think that's going to be the hardest thing for me too.

Anyway, enjoy and welcome!

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2003, 06:43:18 PM »
Well Hello there Caitlinn,

I am sorry, I have not stopped in the intro site in a little while.

I am Michele, also known as Shel...  My fiance (Tom) and I will be married November 8th, then I will be moving to the NorthEast of England in Northumberland area.  At present though, I live in Stevensville, MD just as you enter the eastern shore on Kent Island.  I moved here only a couple months ago with my sister while I await getting married.  I am originally from the western shore though...just below annapolis...

So far, even though I am a mere 20 minutes from my old area...I am finding a big difference between eastern shore and western shore...  and I like it over there...  quieter, calmer, and friendlier...  It is amazing how driving through the eastern shore for eon's of years to OC, we never took the time to really look at all the good qualities it has to offer...  I never even realized that easton had such a quaint little town square...  always thought it was a part of business on rte 50 and that was it...

Any way, Welcome to UKY...  and know that I for one have learned a new appreciation for your home area in the states...

See you around here I am sure

shel
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• Witchiepoo
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2003, 07:11:24 PM »
My fiance (Tom) and I will be married November 8th, then I will be moving to the NorthEast of England in Northumberland area.  At present though, I live in Stevensville, MD just as you enter the eastern shore on Kent Island.  I moved here only a couple months ago with my sister while I await getting married.  I am originally from the western shore though...just below annapolis...

Hi Shel.  Seems we have loads in common.  I too was a November bride and also lived in the Northeast for a while.

I know Stevensville and Annapolis very well.  Was a Maryland girl all my life ('cept now I'm a Herts girl).

I never even realized that easton had such a quaint little town square

That's my hometown, however, I lived between Easton and St. Michael's before I moved to the UK.  Did you know that St. Michael's was nicknamed "The Town that Fooled the British"?  I took great pleasure in showing that sign to my British husband when he came over to visit.  ;)

I do miss the Eastern Shore.  Especially in the summer.  All the sailing, swimming, beaches and Ocean City.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the nice reminders of home.

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2003, 07:26:32 PM »
Caitlinn,  Ahhhh!  where was it we had lunch a couple weeks ago...oh yea..."The Pub"  in downtown Easton...it was very nice...

My Dad was a retired Navy man with many dealings with the Naval Academy...  I did not know the surrounding areas very well...  but when I was a teenager, we sailed quite often to St. Michaels and spent the weekend on Naval Academy sail boats.

Loved it...  as well as the crabs...mmmmm!, tom had his first maryland crabcake a couple years ago and he fell in love with them...nothing like blue crab...

we will have to have some hometown chats... pm me any time you wish.

shel  
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

Sponsored Links