Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Romantic Xmas gifts  (Read 2149 times)

• Liked: 2
Romantic Xmas gifts
« on: December 22, 2004, 06:19:01 PM »
What's the most romantic, or coolest, present your spouse/partner has ever given you?

Our first Xmas together (2002), Stu & I were apart, if you see what I mean. I was here (UK) and he was there (USA). As I was flying out to see him shortly after Xmas we agreed to exchange most of our presents in person but to send each other just one thing to open on Xmas day. I rather unromantically sent him a Neil Finn CD because it didn't cost much to post. Anyway I received a rather exciting looking package in the mail. I opened it while talking to then BF on the phone. There were two things in the package and he told me to open the big one first. It was a book of short stories called The Gift of th Magi by O Henry. He told me to read the title story before opening the other small package.

This is the story, for those who have the time & the incilination to read it: http://mbhs.bergtraum.k12.ny.us/cybereng/shorts/magi.html

The story is about a couple who have fallen on hard times. It is Christmas and they can't afford to buy presents for each other. The husband sells his prized watch to buy something for his wife. The wife sells her hair to buy a present for her husband. They exchange gifts .... he had bought her some bejewelled hair combs ... she had bought him a chain for his watch.

Back to reality... I then opened the second package ... it was a pair of costume jewellery hair combs.

Sigh.

Re: Romantic Xmas gifts
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 07:25:17 PM »
Yes I remember reading that book years ago. Such a romantic story. :)

Frank sprung a romantic surprise weekend trip to Paris when I first moved here. But nothing very romantic for Xmas. Our first Xmas he bought me a lacy white bra that was like 3 sizes too small! lol

Last year he got me a Tiffany and Co necklace.

This year he got me my friends book that was just published a month ago, the Seinfeld DVD's, and I think a bluetooth and maybe a charm bracelet.

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 12:29:19 AM »
Hummm...bit of a toss-up on this. 

For our "first" Thanksgiving (him not knowing it is not a gift-giving holiday) he got me an autographed copy of a CD from one of my favorite bands (The Saw Doctors).  Last month, he sent me a "home-made" mix-tape (my first ever mix-tape, though in CD form)...it had all sorts of songs that had some random line in it or another that was "fitting" to our relationship...not necessarily songs we knew, but songs that were right.

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 01:09:34 AM »
When DH and I first met, it was November.  After we started dating, he sent  a huge poinsetta to me at work.  It was so beautiful.  Simple, but beautiful.

"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 11:11:59 AM »
awww, that's so sweet!

David hasn't really done the romantic gift giving-it's the way he does it (with poems.....or suprising me at work to ask me to marry him) that makes it romantic.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 11:14:08 AM »
actually, to be fair, he did get me the large tiffany heart....i had wanted that for a long time (way before i met him!) and he knew that.

That was kinda cute.  ;)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 11:21:35 AM »
Our first Christmas together in the UK my husband and I agreed we would only get each other one *meaningful* gift.

One of his nicknames for me is "The Lady" and my FAVOURITE Disney film is The Lady and the Tramp - he bought me a stuffed Lady dog doll from the Disney Store.

That was the most romantic, I think.  He's very good with gift-giving, so everything he's given me has been wonderful.  But that made me cry...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 11:36:54 AM by peedal »
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 11:32:57 AM »
Richard was visiting early on around Thanksgiving (I was going there after Christmas that year) I had not told him anything I wanted (I got him a watch and two rings, since he had lost both playing football earlier that year)  He ended up buying me a beautiful necklace from a store in our town.  It was the most beautiful present I had ever received!  He really is very romantic (I'm the one who is not!) 

Sponsored Links