Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Quick Question About UK Tax Codes  (Read 1993 times)

• Liked: 0
Quick Question About UK Tax Codes
« on: January 05, 2005, 03:39:07 PM »

Happy new year yoo guys.

I had a quick Q. UK taxes...i have been temping with an agency in london for 3 months now...i have been working full time but was under the emergency tax system since i had not yet received my NIN number.

They took their sweet time issuing me an NIN number so they have been taking a lot out for taxes...I have given the temping agency (they are the ones that technically hired me ) my new NIN number and asked them to put me in the best tax code so i dont get so much $$ taken out on a weekly basis. I explained that i was married and my husband is currently unemployed..they didnt sound like they knew anything about which forms i would need to fill out or what was the best tax code for us.

I was told that my tax code is   474L  , they said that, that was the best option for me but i want to confirm this by asking anyone who knows about this on this forum.

Is this the best tax code for me ?

Any advice much appreciated.

thanks heaps.
Zufan

• Liked: 8
Re: Quick Question About UK Tax Codes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 05:05:42 PM »
Sounds right.  474L is the standard, from what I understand.

Re: Quick Question About UK Tax Codes
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 06:15:06 PM »
This tax code (474L) means that you are entiltled toy our personal allowance of £4,740 and UK tax is withheld from your income net of personal allowance. So, yes. This is a correct code for you.

Here is the link to a document that explains the way tax codes are figured out. http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/p3_2003.pdf
HT TAX (US & UK Tax Services)
e-mail:h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com

Quick Question About UK Tax Codes...again
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 08:59:32 PM »

Thanks Lola & Helen-

Thanks for the speedy heads up and usefull link...just wanted to know though, if the tax free allowance is £4745...then why has the temping agency been taking tax out of my pay because i have not yet made anywhere near the breakoff point of £4745...and if one still has to pay tax even before reaching this amount, would i be able to claim this back ?

thanks heaps
Zufan

Sponsored Links