Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Captain Wench Speaking (arr!)  (Read 11341 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Captain Wench Speaking (arr!)
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2003, 05:11:55 AM »
Card is one of my favorite authors, and I was always a fan of old European folktales [strange childhood, I know :D]...

so Enchantment was a very enjoyable read for me, as it's based in part upon old Baba Yaga stories. Would enjoy reading it again, although I don't really need an excuse :)

very nice list to choose from I think

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2003, 12:51:09 PM »
Thank you missy  :D  I'm a big fan of retellings of fairy tales too, so I'm looking forward to reading that one.

I'll post the results of the poll officially on Monday, that cool with everyone?  ;)

wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2003, 01:59:25 PM »
Cool as a cucumba'!  ;D

(Orson Scott Card! Orson Scott Card!  ;))

By the way, Wenchie, Your hubby would probably really enjoy Ender's Game, by Card- it's about gaming!!

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2003, 02:29:33 PM »
By the way, Wenchie, Your hubby would probably really enjoy Ender's Game, by Card- it's about gaming!!

But that would take him away from real gaming, and we can't have that!  ;D

wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2003, 08:18:08 PM »
Wench, have you ever read the "Dragonlance" series?

My dh read them when he was a teen and used to do gaming..I guess it's books and a game?

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2003, 10:56:03 PM »
Ooo I almost read one of those once, it was a situation where you're just standing looking at a book and thinking "I AM GOING TO BUY IT!" and talking yourself out of it.  I think I was standing there for about 10 minutes before I just decided to leave and be tempted another time! lol...Believe me I don't do that a lot, I usually know what I want before I even get to the shop.

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2003, 11:00:43 PM »
Ooo I almost read one of those once, it was a situation where you're just standing looking at a book and thinking "I AM GOING TO BUY IT!" and talking yourself out of it.  I think I was standing there for about 10 minutes before I just decided to leave and be tempted another time!

LOL, oh man, I know what you're talking about. I've actually had staff come and ask me if theres a problem because I had been there for 30 minutes just staring at a shelf of books!

I'm such an impulse buyer but with books I'm very hesitant, it's almost like I don't want to make the mistake of a lifetime!

Which is why I've joined the library.  ;D

And off the subject, I just finished the fourth book in Anne McCaffrey's Catteni series. It was good, but cut off kind of suddenly. You can tell she's going to write another one. However, I highly recommend the series. Very well written and a heck of a plot.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2003, 11:51:41 PM »

LOL, oh man, I know what you're talking about. I've actually had staff come and ask me if theres a problem because I had been there for 30 minutes just staring at a shelf of books!

I'm such an impulse buyer but with books I'm very hesitant, it's almost like I don't want to make the mistake of a lifetime!

I'm too much of an impulse buyer with books..usually I do OK but, oh my, I made a whopper of a mistake a few months back and bought "Guenevere: Queen of the Summer Country" by Rosalind Miles....oh boy, was that a stupid book!
I didn't even finish it, and for me that's really saying something.

I actually did read the first three books in the Dragonlance series...I guess they were OK...kind of disjointed.

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2003, 11:54:43 PM »
oh my, I made a whopper of a mistake a few months back and bought "Guenevere: Queen of the Summer Country" by Rosalind Miles....oh boy, was that a stupid book!

Thats what I try to avoid. I always feel cheated when I read a book I didn't like. And if I can't even finish it, I just get angry. I take my books very seriously.  [smiley=inquisitive.gif]

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2003, 11:59:59 PM »

Thats what I try to avoid. I always feel cheated when I read a book I didn't like. And if I can't even finish it, I just get angry. I take my books very seriously.  [smiley=inquisitive.gif]

I agree but for the most part you can't tell what a books going to be like until you actually start to read it. So I have been known to actually read the reviews on it and then the little taster which is usually on the back or in the first cover.  If I'm still not convinced then I read the first chapter lol which can get you in trouble if you're standing in WHSmiths for 20 minutes  [smiley=goofy.gif]

• Liked: 1
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2003, 03:08:51 AM »
I personnally am an Amazon addict.  Books, music, DVD's....oh my! ;D
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2003, 05:54:58 AM »
I LOVE Amazon!

My wish list has like 100 things on it..I finally got smart.  I do all my browsing there, where there's customer reviews, and then make a list from my wishlist for when I go to the bookstore (I always have the list in my purse) with a few authors or books I'd like to look for.

I am usually pretty good at choosing things, though..that Guenevere was a DUMB thing, I was in a hurry and so didn't skim a few pages here and there throughout the book like I usually do.

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2003, 03:23:25 PM »
I LOVE Amazon!

My wish list has like 100 things on it..I finally got smart.  I do all my browsing there, where there's customer reviews, and then make a list from my wishlist for when I go to the bookstore (I always have the list in my purse) with a few authors or books I'd like to look for.

I do the same thing SAF...  Amazon is the best for getting info...  and if the price is right..I will buy from them...  otherwise, I print off my wish list and go to the store with it.

Wench/Ashley,  Is Enchantment the book?   want to get it today if it is...

Also, how does a book club work?  what type of agenda does it consist of...  I am going to guess that I am not the only one that has never belonged to one before..  So I thought it would be nice to know what the format will be besides having a month.
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2003, 04:29:22 PM »
Also, how does a book club work?  what type of agenda does it consist of...  I am going to guess that I am not the only one that has never belonged to one before..  So I thought it would be nice to know what the format will be besides having a month.

Well, from what I've seen on TV (anyone seen that show the Book Group? God I love that show, too bad it's not on at the moment, I got hooked.... anyways... ;D) A book is chosen, you're given a certain amount of time to read it and then you all get together to discuss what you thought about the book.

In our case, we'll take over the chatroom. It would be more ideal to get together in a quite pub or something, but alas, with everyone scattered around that would be really difficult.

That's how I understand it.  :)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2003, 05:05:55 PM »
I have a friend that does a book club and they meet every Sunday (for example) to discuss the book in chunks.  It would allow for a more in depth discussion as the retention of what was read would be better.  I know we all have lives, but it might be a thought?

On another note... how many of you have read Piers Anthony or Douglas Adams?  I read them years and years ago.  
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab