Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Im a UKC and studied in US, in UK now: Greencard pending; Filing question  (Read 756 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi there,

I was directed to this site and I was hoping that someone could be of some assistance.

Im a UK citizen and studied in the US from Jan 2000 until spring last year. I graduated and returned to the UK in July.

My father is a US citizen and applied for my greencard in 2001, my interview is due in the next few months for my visa.

Basically for the time that I was in the US I never had to pay any taxes so I never filed, unfortunately I was not aware of form 8843 newcomer link: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8843.pdf [nonactive] which is the statement for exempt individuals and individuals with a medical condition.

Because I never had any income and was toally dependant I never filed any because I honestly thought I didnt need to. Apparently many international students either dont file or file wrong but they arent in the same situation as myself i.e wanting to return to the US with a new visa/greencard.

Supposedly the Immigration authorities can use this against you when trying to regain entry to the US for whatever reason

I am planning on going to the IRS dept at the US embassy but was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the subject as I am very uncertain about my future at this point in time

Regards

Dave

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab