Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: We finally made it....vampires aside!  (Read 1634 times)

We finally made it....vampires aside!
« on: June 10, 2003, 03:34:00 AM »
Well we arrived on Sunday morning.  It was such a crazy emotional week I can hardly believe it even happened.  My son had his last day of school on Thursday, June 9th and then the container was picked up on Friday morning and we handed over the keys to our house Friday afternoon.  We spent the night in a hotel because we were supposed to leave at 6:00 am Saturday morning.  We arrived at the airport at 4:30am with two cranky children 8 pieces of luggage and my husband and I had not slept literally for 48 hours to be told that our flight no longer existed even though I had confirmed it at 2:00am that morning.  So they wanted to send us on to Tornonto where we would have a 9 hour layover....but they would compensate us with food vouchers...right!  So we finally worked it all out that we would take a later flight and spend our time in Cleveland and throw ourselves on the mercy of the hotel we just left.  Thankfully we were able to come back and spend our delay in a room.  BUT we had checked our bags through and had no toiletries, toothbrushes etc.  I was a wreck.  To make it even better when we got to the hotel we were told that there was a vampire convention being held in the hotel....YOU"VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME is all I could think.  Well you could definitely tell the people that were with the convention and the people who weren't.  The two "groups" basically talked to there own but after being up for 48 hours, having a 9 hour delay, entertaining 2 children and dealing with my weak emotional state I guess I looked sooooo bad that the vampires began chatting to me because if I look ed like death warmed over then I must be part of the convention!

Thank goodness customs and immigration were a breeze because I would have broken down right there and then!  Well we are here.  I am looking forward to what lies ahead but also wondering if I was crazy to put myself and family through all of this.  It has to get better....cause it can't get much worse.  Tomorrow I am booking my B8B reseravation (if I can find one) for July 5th....I think I will need to hear an American accent by then!

Thanks for letting me ramble!

Kathy
« Last Edit: June 10, 2003, 03:35:36 AM by KTurner »

• Liked: 1
Re: We finally made it....vampires aside!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 05:12:43 AM »
Kathy,

That's too funny!  Vampire Convention!  Oh my!

Anyway, I am glad to hear that you made it in one piece.

You give those of us who have not left courage!

Hugs!

Pamela
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 09:52:36 AM »
Trust me, a year from now you'll be howling when you retell this story to all your new-found friends in the area. (They may be a bit aghast at how you tell it, but they'll be charmed as well.)

Welcome! Can't wait to meet you on the 5th!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 10:17:12 AM »
Welcome to the UK!   :)

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 10:27:21 AM »
Well it wouldn't have been any fun at all if it hadn't been such a....ummm....memorable trip, right?  :)

Congrats on making the big jump.  You're right that it can only get better and before you know it, you'll be settled and hysterically telling that story to anyone who will listen.  

Welcome!!

• Banned

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • NGUNN.NET WEBSITE
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 10:49:32 AM »
Glad your finally here...welcome to the UK
Cynda Gunn

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 03:31:53 PM »
Welcome welcome welcome! :D I bet the experience was a nightmare when it happened, but like others have said it will eventually be a laugh, and certainly memorable! Hugs to your whole family!!!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 05:44:06 PM »
Congratulations!!  You took the plunge!

And you'll always have a very special experience by which to remember your move. ;D

. Re: We finally made it....vampires aside!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2003, 06:38:25 PM »
Hi Kathy, what a great story to tell!  I wish you all the best of luck.  As people are telling me while planning my wedding, you've got to try to enjoy even the parts that aren't so enjoyable at the moment.  Enjoy settling in.  Most of all, don't forget to tell us (waiting to move over) everything that happens and what your impressions are.  We can't wait to hear.  Congratulations on successfully starting this newest phase of your life!  Karen
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2003, 09:27:52 PM »
Welcome to the UK!  I'm glad you all made it safe and sound.  Try to rest up a bit and relax.  :)

Stephanie

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2003, 11:20:49 PM »
Congratulations on surviving your move! It does absolutely sound as if you'll have a story to tell for years to come hehe As *if* you needed all that aggravation! Especially with 2 little munchkins to tote around! I was stressed with my move and there was just *me* to contend with! Well done!!

Best wishes to you guys as you settle in  :) Wish I could be there on the 5th to celebrate your arrival! I'll be on my honeymoon, though- not too shabby, huh?  :D

Welcome to the UK![smiley=daisy.gif]
Jen

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2003, 05:59:54 PM »
Congrats on making the move!  I wish it could've been a less stressful experience (although a hysterically funny story!!!).  You'll be asked to tell that one over and over I'm sure!!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Sponsored Links