Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Wedding/Craft help please  (Read 2771 times)

• Liked: 0
Wedding/Craft help please
« on: June 11, 2003, 06:47:34 PM »
Leah, sorry if this is in the wrong place.  I tried for a while to find the thread where crafting was written about.  But I couldn't find it.  Sorry.  [smiley=oops.gif] 

I am trying to make or reuse Christmas Crackers as individual favors at my wedding.  I have directions on how to make them but I cannot find any "snappers".  Can anyone help me?  I will need to make about 100 crackers.  Would it be "wrong" to make them without the snappers.  Chris and I are trying to have some British flavor in our wedding here in Boston.  

Thanks for your time.

Karen
« Last Edit: June 11, 2003, 06:50:05 PM by Kizmet122800 »
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• Liked: 24
Re: Wedding/Craft help please
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 07:02:29 PM »
No problem. :)

Cracker snaps, for homemade crackers:
http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/trolleyed/55/index.htm

Cool idea.  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
« Last Edit: June 11, 2003, 07:04:31 PM by admin »

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 08:21:40 PM »
This isn't a cracker thing, but one way my hubby and I added a "bit o'Brit" (aside from having our rehearsal dinner at a Brit pub/restaurant) was we had a groom's cake, a chocolate one, and decorated it like a Union Jack.  It was cute, and everybody loved it.

(My Mom actually did the decorating of the cake...she said it was pretty simple, if you want to know how she did it.  Otherwise, any bakery should be able to do it, it's just icing that looks like the flag.)

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 08:57:59 PM »
Hi Saf, thanks for the tip.  My mom and I are battling a bit on the cake thing just now.  She wants this fancy confection type of thing.  I just want one that tastes good that won't cost a fortune.  My fiance didn't mention that kind of cake.  Can you tell me more about why he has a cake of his own?  What does it mean?  Thanks again.

karen

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 08:59:33 PM »
Thanks for your help Leah.  I really appreciate it.  I am trying to work on the favors this summer so I'll be ready to go in the new year.  I'm making my own chocolates too.  So its a lot of work.  Karen

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2003, 10:45:10 PM »
The groom's cake is actually a Southern tradition, I'm not even really sure how it started or why, but you see them a lot there (in fact, if you're a fan of the movie Steel Magnolias, the horrible armadillo cake at the wedding in that film was the groom's cake.)  I think it was to make sure there would be enough cake for all, back before it was possible to make the enormous tiered things we have now?  So maybe the groom's family would help contribute in that way (keep in mind, there didn't used to be the huge amounts of food you find at wedding receptions these days, either..cake was pretty much it.)
Anyway, in England wedding cake is traditionally fruitcake.  Yuck.  So we compromised a bit by having chocolate.  We thought that way, not only would we have the Brits represented, but people who prefer chocolate cake can have some without the wedding cake being chocolate (especially important because the bride at our wedding, me, doesn't like chocolate cake ;D).
People really liked it, too!  It was nice to have two different ones to offer, and since my Mom made it with a regular mix and food-colored frosting, it was nice and cheap.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 04:37:36 PM »
Saf I did remember that movie!  What a horrible cake.  Wasn't it red velvet under the armadillo?!  LOL  Do you have Costco in Ft. Lauderdale?  Well my idea is to get two of their cakes.  Each one feeds 48 people (I think) but they are yummy and only cost $15.00 each.  Yup thats it.  So even at two its a bargain.  The cake I liked from Konditor Meister was $649.00.   :o  That to me is too outrageous.  So one will be white with strawberry mouse inside and white whipped frosting but not sure of the other yet.  I think this is the bargain of the whole wedding.  I don't think we can save like this and still get a good product.  Seems worth it to me anyway.  

Thanks for helping with this Saf.    

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2003, 05:10:52 PM »
While you're there, check their floral section...

My Mom and I went to the flea market the day before the wedding and bought 4 dozen roses for $30...we made the boutennieres, corsages, the bridesmaids' bouquets, and my bouquet from them with floral tape, ribbons, and straight pins for the boutennieres....
The maid of honor carried 3 roses with robbin around the stems, the bridesmaids 2 each, and I had 2 dozen.

PS Yes it was red velvet cake!!  Looked horrible! :o
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 05:11:58 PM by SAF »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab