Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hi!  (Read 843 times)

Hi!
« on: June 11, 2003, 10:33:47 PM »
Hi everyone :) I'm Sarah.

I found this site by accident a few months ago, and I think it's very inspirational. It really helped me in my adjustment. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] I lived in England for just over a year to be with my British fiance, and I attended uni there so I would eventually be qualified to work there. It was a great experience for me--- I loved England and his family were extremely nice to me; but after a while, we realised we would both have much better opportunities living in America. He loves it here so far, which is great.  ;D

Maybe someday we'll move back to the UK, but there were many things about it that weren't quite as perfect as I thought they would be. For now at least, my English fiance and I both think that America wins hands-down over England as the place to be. (I guess I shouldn't really be saying all this on an American Ex-pat site??  :-[ I hope you all don't hate me now...)

• Bo Selecta!!
  • Liked: 0
Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 02:05:40 AM »
Hi,

Welcome to the boards!!  :D
...We're not bad people.;D

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 03:41:45 AM »
Hi Sarah!  

We are doing the opposite and starting off in the United States.  Basically I have come to the conclusion that you have to live both to try to figure out which is the best fit for you and your spouse.

We won't hate you. Promise.  Lots of us have moved back and forth several times. :)
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 10:58:41 AM »
Hi Sarah!  Welcome.

Don't worry, many of us here are planning to move back to the US for good eventually too.  For my husband and I, it was easier and quicker to start out here, which is the only reason we did it this way really.  

I have to agree with vnicepeeps though.....you really have to live in both places to get a good perspective of your spouse, I think.  

Anyway, welcome to UKY and hope to see you around lots!

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2003, 08:09:39 AM »
Hi Sarah and welcome to UKY!

It's okay to say you like living in the US more than the UK!  I feel this is a site very open to different opinions.  I move over in a little over a week to join my English fiance so haven't experienced truly living there although I've been over many, many times.

Do you and/or your fiance miss the UK at all and if so, what do you miss?  What was it that you didn't like very much?

-Sandy

Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2003, 02:09:48 PM »
Hi Sarah,  Welcome to UKY...

I would not worry about your preference of place to live...  we all go through those feelings and trust me many here I believe would rather be in the USA...

I happen to look forward to living in the UK...  but I am a middle aged lady at the point in my life where I like the quiet, relaxing and slower paced lifestyle that fits the northeast of England...

I think both are good countries with many pluses and minuses to each...  just be happy and make your home together, that is what counts at the end of the day.

Shel

Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 02:52:07 PM »
Welcome to the site.  :)  We won't hate you.  Some of us might even be slightly envious.  ;D

Where did you live in England?

wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2003, 05:35:50 AM »
Wow, sorry, I never checked back on this!!!!!! Yikes!  [smiley=blush.gif] Thanks for all your introductions, you were all so welcoming and I didn't even know it.  :)

I lived in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, which is a very pretty little town. I also went to a uni in Staffs pretty closeby while my guy worked.

You're right vnicepeeps, you have to live in both places to find which is best for you... right now I am really trying to make a decision about where I end up, because I actually miss the UK loads. I realise it kinda turned into my second home while I was there.

I miss how the grass is always green, the lack of humidity (my god it's hot here, I completely forgot how bad it is!), the accents, the dry sense of humor, the fact that everything is smaller but charming and well-groomed, the beautiful countryside, the magazines, the TV shows, the slower pace, the pubs....the list goes on...

I don't miss the NHS, TV licenses, the short hours of store open time, the NHS, the expensiveness, the pop music  :-X, the price of petrol, the customer service, page 3 girls  ::) , the food for the most part, and the rain.

I love this site because it keeps me in touch with the UK!

-Sarah

Sponsored Links