Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Worse Than An IA  (Read 216282 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Worse Than An IA
« Reply #2430 on: September 01, 2013, 02:15:19 AM »
Well, we put our cat to sleep today.  :\\\'( She was 17 years old and, even though she was her old self, she was obviously ill as she was very jaundiced. It really sucks. I realized that it's the first time in 18 years that I haven't had a cat. Weird.

Awwww :\\\'(
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2431 on: September 02, 2013, 06:03:06 PM »
CCG, what an awful double whammy.

At least your neighbour's kinda zen about it all. But to lose a hairy family member is hard. 

Big hugs.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #2432 on: September 02, 2013, 06:52:38 PM »
Oh no... sorry to hear about your cat.  :\\\'(

« Reply #2433 on: September 29, 2013, 10:32:57 AM »
Warning in advance that this is a long and potentially disturbing post about cleaning a flat where a man had quite literally drunk himself to death.

I have a friend who owns a flat that she lets out. Back in March, she was informed by the police that her tenant had died in the flat from excess alcohol consumption.

This proved to be a rather difficult situation for her - the police would not let her back into the flat until the next of kin had been contacted, but none of his relatives would come forward to deal with the matter. This went on for months until, just the other week, she was finally given the okay to access the flat again. (Ridiculous considering she owns the property, but that's another matter.) 

Unfortunately, her lovely flat had been destroyed by the tenant. Within the months from the time she had the last inspection (Dec 2012) to his death (March 2013), he lost his battle to alcoholism, trashing the place and seemingly living off little but very cheap cider. The flat itself was covered in cigarette ash, rubbish, dirt, grime, and his vomit was pretty much everywhere. And aside from removing his body from the flat back in March, the police left everything as is and charged my friend for the cost of breaking down the door - which she now has to pay to replace as well.

So yesterday, with a skip hired, myself and a few others arrived at the flat to gut the place, not quite knowing what to expect. It was a wreck, but it was also very sad. The flat itself was not in a livable state. All of the sinks, the bathtub and the toilet were clogged with dried vomit. The kitchen was full of expired food, flies covering everything (except the opened margarine - all those rumours you hear are true!). There was a bag of potatoes that had ceased to be potatoes, turning into a horrible brown liquid that produced a smell I will never be able to forget, nor could I possibly find words to describe.

And while we were ripping our the carpet, binning the mattresses and then cleaning every surface, questioning how someone could possibly let their life come to this, we got through the initial layer of crud to find the very sad things that perhaps he had tried. There were NHS kits to help him stop smoking. Letters and phamplets from the AA meetings he had attended. But by that point we couldn't help but laugh when we found a carpet cleaner stored away, or a book on essential housekeeping tips. He had a few awards and trophies, not to mention pictures of his kids, cards, a mug saying 'best dad ever'. Yet not a single one of his children came to do what we - complete strangers - had to do, and that was filter through the rubbish to see if there was anything sentimental that we should save, just in case they change their minds in the future. And it all fit into a small box.

I'm still somewhat coming to terms with what happened yesterday. I know most of us have seen or at least know of someone who has trouble with drug and drink - and it's so easy to just write them off as disgusting or worthless. And most certainly that's what we were feeling when we were cleaning up a grown man's vomit that had splattered all over the walls. But I think what is disturbing me most is that there was nothing in that flat to indicate why he spiraled to such a low, and if perhaps some intervention could have prevented it all. All of us left wanting nothing but a long shower, but I know we were all wondering how someone could be so oblivious to what he was doing to himself and why no one could help him.
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.' Kurt Vonnegut

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #2434 on: September 29, 2013, 10:54:40 AM »
It's very sad Elle  :\\\'(
You're stuck with me!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #2435 on: September 29, 2013, 11:09:59 AM »
How terribly sad, Elle - I can't imagine!  :(

Also can't imagine how awful it must have been to clean up!
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2436 on: September 30, 2013, 08:06:07 PM »
Thought provoking post. So sorry you had to go through this. :(
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Liked: 9
« Reply #2437 on: October 01, 2013, 01:07:23 AM »
So sorry you had to be part of the cleanup, and my heart goes out to all of you. I couldn't imagine anyone dying so alone and out of control, yet it happens more often than we realize. I can't help but wonder how anyone could have no one, even though there is evidence (photos, the dad mug, etc) of family.

What a sad situation all around.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 31
« Reply #2438 on: October 01, 2013, 01:20:36 PM »
Ugh. I can empathise Elle. I did some volunteer work for a community land co-op in Cincinnati, and there was a property they had acquired from an old man who had lived there for some 60 years, and he had either died or had to go to a care home. A bunch of us from my uni were clean-up crew, and we had trouble just getting into the house as the floor of every single room was waist-deep in stuff, mostly rubbish. We found sweetie wrappers from the 1960s, packaging for probably everything he had ever eaten, piles of mouldering magazines and newspapers dating back decades... I don't think he had ever thrown anything away, and I mean anything. The worst find was (below the fold for the weak of stomach)
Spoiler: show
a long-dead cat that had basically mummified behind a piece of furniture!!!
. It was so sad, because we figured it meant that probably nobody had been to visit him most of the time he'd lived there, as I can't imagine it could have gotten to that state if other people were seeing it.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

« Reply #2439 on: October 03, 2013, 06:03:17 PM »
DrSuper, that is incredibly sad! Not to mention the obvious psychological issue of his not throwing anything away. I think I was fortunate compared to your situation. There's still some cleaning to do at that flat, but considering we did the majority of it in one day, I'd say we did pretty well! I just feel bad for my friend who has to try to get insurance to cover everything they need to replace - and she's not sure if they will.
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.' Kurt Vonnegut

« Reply #2440 on: October 07, 2013, 09:10:36 AM »
Elle and DrS, those situations sound really stressful and sad. Alienating, isolating and disconnected - for them and maybe their family / friends.   :-\\\\ Certainly makes one re-evaluate life and relationships.  :-\\\\

« Reply #2441 on: January 26, 2014, 12:04:38 AM »
A friend at work, Pam, lost two of her grandbabies in a house fire the day before yesterday. They were aged 1 and 4, and were lost along with their mom (Pam's son's ex-wife), her boyfriend and another child. My heart is so heavy for her, and I can't imagine the grief she is feeling. I wish there was something I could do for her to take some of the pain away.

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2442 on: January 26, 2014, 08:58:09 AM »
A friend at work, Pam, lost two of her grandbabies in a house fire the day before yesterday. They were aged 1 and 4, and were lost along with their mom (Pam's son's ex-wife), her boyfriend and another child. My heart is so heavy for her, and I can't imagine the grief she is feeling. I wish there was something I could do for her to take some of the pain away.
That is tragically sad.  So sorry for your friend.  :\\\'(
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #2443 on: January 26, 2014, 07:03:03 PM »

Oh gosh, how horrible  :\\\'(
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #2444 on: January 27, 2014, 01:56:13 AM »
Thanks, ladies. I still can't imagine that level of grief. Mere words can't express my sympathy and I have no idea what to say to her. She has been off work, and this isn't the type of thing you can send condolences for in a Facebook message.

― Dr. Seuss

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab