Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Flying cats from Dulles to Heathrow  (Read 1908 times)

• Liked: 3
Flying cats from Dulles to Heathrow
« on: March 15, 2006, 08:10:57 PM »
Has anyone flown their pet from Dulles on BA? I'm curious if I could get an estimate on the cost.  I've seen people post the prices from San Fran and Chicago, but not from DC. I have two cats, totalling about 30 lbs, so they can share a crate.

Thanks!  :)

• Anne's Aerie
  • Liked: 0
Re: Flying cats from Dulles to Heathrow
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 01:10:10 PM »
I flew from Dulles to Heathrow on Virgin.  It cost about $350 per cat (I have two).  I'm afraid that unless they're kittens, I think UK import regulations state that they have to go in seperate carriers.  And the carriers have to be bigger than you might think:  two inches higher than the standing cat's ears.  We bought a pair, and then had to go get another set of carriers when the ones we had turned out to be too small (the shipping people should be able to check your pet in the carrier the day before the flight to give you time to fix things!  they did for us.  And definitely take advantage of this:  there was another couple flying with a cat on our flight, and they hadn't checked--their carrier was too small.  The man went out to buy a carrier, but I guess he didn't suceed because I saw them at the airport, but they didn't come to get a cat.).  Another thing to know is that it costs £220 *cash* to retrieve the animals at Heathrow (they might take a check on a UK bank, I don't remember, but at the time we didn't have a UK bank).  They don't take travellers checks or credit cards.  I brought travellers checks and cashed them in at the airport.  And one more thing:  the taxi from the airport to the animal facility cost me £20, which was more than I had expected.

Good luck with your travels!

• Conservative for the moral good of mankind
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 05:12:33 PM »

Wow, Heathrow charges for you to receive your animal??  I didn' t have any other costs at Gatwick. I flew from Minneapolis to Gatwick and only paid $250 per cat.  Ardenbird is correct that it is very unlikely they can fly together unless they are kittens.  I hated this idea but had to do it. I purchased carriers that I thought were too big but when I took them to be dropped off the woman said "good you have nice big carriers." I would definately suggest going a bit bigger than you think.  But you can request that they put the carriers facing each other on the flight. They won't guarantee it, though. It is best to have someone pick you up and take you to the animal reception center. Fortunately my husband was able to do this for me. But ardenbird has good points to consider.
"Be completely humble and patient, bearing with one another in love"  Ephesians 4:2

"All that is necessary for evil to win the world is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 08:34:30 AM »
I was charged nothing at Heathrow.   I only paid the airline fee.  There were no other charges once my cat left my hands. 
Riding the rollercoaster of life without a seat belt!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 08:40:17 AM »
I wasn't charged at Heathrow either ... but it was three years ago. Perhaps it's a new policy?
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 09:57:13 AM »
I flew 8 months ago from Dulles to Heathrow and I happen to still have my receipts...

The charge is based on the weight of the cage with the pet inside it, but they automatically charge at least for 20K.  My cat and cage weighed 8K, but the minimum charge is for 20.  And the rate per K  is $11.87.  Then there was a "handling fee" of $125.  The total was $362.40 at Dulles.

Once at Heathrow the Animal Reception Center (ARC) charge 220GBP for ARC boarding check and clearance & handling.

So, roughly, I paid about $750, which was more then my plane ticket. 

• Conservative for the moral good of mankind
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 04:56:49 PM »
oh my goodness! they are starting to make this quite costly, aren't they.  of course, it's britain. they will charge you just for walking 10 feet!  lol
"Be completely humble and patient, bearing with one another in love"  Ephesians 4:2

"All that is necessary for evil to win the world is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 07:26:13 PM »
  Another thing to know is that it costs £220 *cash* to retrieve the animals at Heathrow

Was that total for both cats or is that per cat?? Sheesh!!!! British Airways doesn't say anything about that on their website!

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 07:28:29 PM »
I flew 8 months ago from Dulles to Heathrow and I happen to still have my receipts...

The charge is based on the weight of the cage with the pet inside it, but they automatically charge at least for 20K.  My cat and cage weighed 8K, but the minimum charge is for 20.  And the rate per K  is $11.87.  Then there was a "handling fee" of $125.  The total was $362.40 at Dulles.

Once at Heathrow the Animal Reception Center (ARC) charge 220GBP for ARC boarding check and clearance & handling.

So, roughly, I paid about $750, which was more then my plane ticket. 

Did you fly British Airways or Virgin? Thanks!

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 09:12:54 PM »

Was that total for both cats or is that per cat?? Sheesh!!!! British Airways doesn't say anything about that on their website!

220 GBP per cat!

Did you fly British Airways or Virgin? Thanks!

Virgin Atlantic is the only one to fly pets under the PETS scheme from Dulles.  At least when I flew last August it was.

• Anne's Aerie
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 10:15:10 AM »

For me it was only 220 GBP total...   I had thought it would be per cat, so I had £440 on me (which is how I was able to pay the cabbie!).  But the guy at the animal center said it was just for processing, and since they came together, it was one process or something.  I wonder if that can vary depending on who is working that day?  I flew Virgin.

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 10:23:22 AM »
For me it was only 220 GBP total...   I had thought it would be per cat, so I had £440 on me (which is how I was able to pay the cabbie!).  But the guy at the animal center said it was just for processing, and since they came together, it was one process or something.  I wonder if that can vary depending on who is working that day?  I flew Virgin.

I'd be safe and just have plenty of cash on you, but Ardenbird may be right, since her cats came together.  I only brought one cat, so I just assumed it was per cat :)

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 03:51:09 PM »
You have been very helpful! Thanks so much!  ;D

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 04:39:27 AM »
I'm being quoted $1500 (CAN) to fly 2 cats on Air Canada.  I am using an Animal Transport company ( I think) which only makes up about $200 of that.  Am I being ripped off?? I am flying the cats out of Vancouver, which is obviously further than other places. Does anyone know anything about a  250 GBP receiving fee?

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 07:28:10 AM »
The only thing I paid flying my cat air Canada last October, and I'm not kidding, was the $250 airline fee.  That was it.  My brother put her on the plane and I picked he up at Heathrow.  No other charges.  I know almost everyone else here has had huge fees as well as the receiving fee at Heathrow.   I have no idea why.  Call Air Canada directly because they told me that the airline fee would cover all costs.  So unless things have changed between now and then..
Riding the rollercoaster of life without a seat belt!

Sponsored Links