Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: So glad I am not the only one  (Read 2181 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: So glad I am not the only one
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2004, 08:06:50 PM »
WW2 mentality is RIGHT! Hah! My future MIL is so trapped. She's only a couple years older then my Mom but acts more like my Grandmother. She is very much a 'make do' kind of person. When I cook in her kitchen I go batty. She never even has plastic wrap or foil and her dishes and utensils are in terrible shape (and this is a mentality issues, not a money one).

And I've been expressly forbidden to cook the Sunday roast chicken with garlic in it as the FIL doesn't like it. Of course, when we don't tell him it's in it (granted, in a small amount) he doesn't notice!

I also don't understand why one must have potatoes with every flippin' meal!  If the FIL hasn't had potatoes, he just hasn't eaten!  [smiley=chef.gif]
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2004, 08:23:24 PM »
Boy you need to go for a Sunday Roast at DH's house.  All the veg in the world and meat enough meat to feed an army. To be honest I have often seen the post WWII mentality more in the form of hoarding food than anything else.  We both have family members that were under rationing or just scarce food and they all hoard tins and are very much of the clean your plate mentality.  I guess we should count ourselves lucky to never have been in their shoes.

SAF I find that soap acutally has the opposite effect and nothing moves!  :P

Crisp sandwhich? Odd but now I feel better about putting potato chips on my sandwhich as a kid!  

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2004, 03:58:40 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I like steak and kidney pie, like black pudding (and anyone who has eatten scrapple can not cast aspursions on it), and I make a great chicken liver stroganoff!  ;D

In Prague I had the most amazing lamb's liver with fried eggs and mushrooms.  Yummy!

I have definitely become more open-minded about food since moving over here.  My husband has got me eating beets and (brussel) sprouts - which has my mother shocked beyond belief!  :o
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2004, 05:14:12 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I like steak and kidney pie, like black pudding (and anyone who has eatten scrapple can not cast aspursions on it), and I make a great chicken liver stroganoff!  ;D

:o

Good for you Peedal. We had liver and bacon as a regular meal when I was a child and I've always liked it. Also use chicken livers in a spaghetti sauce, and made oxtail stew (no longer, sadly, because of BSE). On the continent they're much more open minded about eating all 'parts' of the animal than us British and regard it as wasteful not to, which I suppose is an attitude dating back to agricultural communities. Personally I think it's part of the skill of cooking to make tasty meals out of cheap but nutricious ingredients. Anyway, even 'quality meat' like  chicken breasts these days can have a pretty dubious history!
There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2004, 05:23:10 PM »
lol HME please please don't elaborate!  Chicken breasts are the only part of the chicken I eat.  I beg you! lol
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2004, 05:24:38 PM »
HME - you'd enjoy Prague!  They use ALL of the pig!  ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 1
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2004, 05:33:20 PM »
I really just think it is up to what you are used to and what you are willing to try. I find morcilla (blood sausage) a lot less gross than say fried twinkies because I was raised eating it.  

I pretty much eat most things well prepared.  I would have to draw the line at insects, as I have a fear of even wanting to kill them and all that crunchy chitin.  Ew.... :P

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2004, 10:58:24 PM »
Our parents' generation were brought up to "don't waste food - think of those sailors dying to bring it across the Atlantic" "make do and mend" "waste not, want not" "take what you're given and be grateful" and most of these maxims rubbed off on me (with variable results). Into the 1970s elderly relatives would send me home with a small cube of cheese 'for Phoebe [dog]' or a single slice of ham 'for His [father] tea' because they didn't want to waste it.

Sponsored Links