Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hacked!  (Read 719 times)

• Liked: 0
Hacked!
« on: April 09, 2004, 01:10:38 AM »
Today dh went into the on-line bank account and lo & behold someone had transferred A Whole Lot of money from our account!  He contacted our local branch but they couldn't do anything about it, had to use the online customer service.  They froze our account and started investigating, so about 4.00 dh called to check on things, but there was nothing new to report. About 20 minutes later he got a phone call from the bank saying that someone had tried to deposit More Money from our account to an account in Chingford (wherever that is!!) but since he had reported the previous transaction the bank was aware of something wrong and they were able to stop this deposit!  Fortunately, the account was insured, so we shouldn't lose any money, but it sure has been a stressful day!!!

Re: Hacked!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 01:14:38 AM »
Wow, thats a bummer, and scary too. Do you have an updated firewall? ???

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 02:42:17 AM »
Today dh went into the on-line bank account and lo & behold someone had transferred A Whole Lot of money from our account!  He contacted our local branch but they couldn't do anything about it, had to use the online customer service.  They froze our account and started investigating, so about 4.00 dh called to check on things, but there was nothing new to report. About 20 minutes later he got a phone call from the bank saying that someone had tried to deposit More Money from our account to an account in Chingford (wherever that is!!) but since he had reported the previous transaction the bank was aware of something wrong and they were able to stop this deposit!  Fortunately, the account was insured, so we shouldn't lose any money, but it sure has been a stressful day!!!

Chingford is a little town in Essex.  It's bad how anyone can do this with peoples money, makes me wonder if on-line banking is all it's cracked up to be.

I'm assuming you and your husband use on-line banking?

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 08:30:38 AM »
Oh no!
Do you know how they did it? I mean, what steps can be made to prevent it? This is just awful! I'm so glad you were protected, but still...  :'(  it's just the violation of it all!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 09:36:32 AM »
Goodness ... wouldn't want to go through that ... my thoughts are with you too.  

Barbara, I'm too much like Lisa and echo her words "any idea how?".   There are probably many ways this can happen ranging from dishonest bank staff through to you giving out your details (I'm NOT suggesting either of these happened in you case).  

One of the ways some folks are trying at the moment is by pretending to be your bank and asking you to revalidate your on line account. I'm adding a link to an old thread I posted to "news" so that anyone who wishes can read a little more - see:

http://www.uk-yankee.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=chuckle;action=display;num=1080490743
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 10:44:06 AM »
I suppose this is like being burgled, you are left feelling violated and vulnerable! I spoke to someone with computer savvy and he said he could be either spoofing, which is what you are talking about Graham, or it had to be someone inside the bank.  I'm starting to think it is more within the bank then spoofed, simply because we've been aware of the e-mail scam and hadn't received any e-mails like that.  Btw, we bank with Lloyd's, but I'm sure if it is the bank then it could probably happen with any bank.  One thing is for sure now,,,,we are firm believers in insurance!

• Liked: 24
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 01:10:42 PM »
Geez barbara, that's awful!  :(

Best of luck in getting it sorted. I had hoped the banks were ahead of the game. Apparently not. But at least the person will be caught, as they've got a target bank account.

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 09:56:59 PM »
 I know you are relieved that they caught it and that you have insurance hon!I know what you mean about feeling violated and vulnerable too,thats how I felt when someone gave me a nasty virus,the first time I went online  :-/

Sponsored Links