Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hardest things to adjust to in UK?  (Read 4210 times)

• Back again
  • Liked: 0
Re: Hardest things to adjust to in UK?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2004, 01:23:41 PM »

How about answering the question 'are you alright?'  For the longest time I thought that meant I looked like I had a fever or something and I would answer with 'why???'

OMG, me tooo!!! I was so confused by that at first. I remember the first person who said it to me was a Recruitment Consultant, and I remember thinking, "gosh, it must be showing on the outside just how I feel on the inside"--very nervous about looking for employment in another country. I soon "clocked on" (another saying) to the fact that it's just their way of asking, "How are you?"

• Schenectady to Newcastle to Toronto
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2004, 01:28:49 PM »
I mean, that there are constantly sales in America, and the prices go really low (Clearance racks!).  Here, it seems the sale prices aren't nearly as good and they aren't as frequent.   

Maybe I'm just not used to shopping here yet? I'll also admit that I still convert everything into dollars since I can't work and make my own money yet, which makes everything seem more expensive.

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2004, 02:49:30 PM »
Maybe I'm just not used to shopping here yet? I'll also admit that I still convert everything into dollars since I can't work and make my own money yet, which makes everything seem more expensive.

OMG, I did the same thing!  I can't get it out of my mind to convert the prices in England!  Although I have not worked since I lived there, and had a small allowance from Richard, so maybe that is why.  But things do seem a lot more expensive, especially to a girl who grew up on LI/NYC  where the bargain was created I think.  I've told all my friends in the UK to save their money and shop in Manhattan, especially on Canal Street, as they all love my bags!  ;D

Oh and food, I miss great food!  Especially sushi since my town has none except the M&S's stuff, and sorry I can't eat it!

• Back again
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2004, 05:46:04 PM »
I understand what you are saying Kowalsks.

I agree. They aren't as cheap and aren't as frequent. I am picturing the kind of sale you are talking about. Like walking into Lerner's and heading straight back to the out-of-season clearance rack and finding nice clothes at 75% off.

That isn't to say that I haven't seen 75% off sales here. I have, but the clothes, imo, aren't as nice. It's not England's fault or anything. America is an amazing capitalist country with massive effects of economies of scale--so much is mass produced, and therefore produced more cheaply, and the savings in production are passed on to the consumer.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2004, 06:26:14 PM »
Like walking into Lerner's and heading straight back to the out-of-season clearance rack and finding nice clothes at 75% off.

ah... the memories....
:D
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2004, 08:59:03 PM »
Driving! Definitely the biggest hurdle for me. I never drove a manual so I had to learn because that's the car my husband had. I can't tell you how many times I came home from driving lessons in tears! On the plus side, I can drive really well now and changing gears doesn't bother me anymore! I still get nervous with the narrow roads, though.

• Cali girl in Wales
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2004, 10:23:46 AM »
I'm here in the UK now and the hardest part for me is not having friends. Not having anyone to chat with about familiar things and not being able to have female camaraderie is tough! My husbands friends are nice, but we (americans) seem to be very different and the other wifes dont include me yet. They have been nice to my face and invite me out, then they dont call or come round when they say they will. His family has been wonderful, but mostly you feel like you are an outsider and you can't help but get depressed some days. I am a chatty fun loving California girl now living in a quiet small town Wales. I love my husband and dont regret coming here, but I do miss the life I left back home (family and lots of friends). Any advice on how to cope in these early stages of settlement would be helpful. I know the longer I am here I will make friends eventually and my hubby has been great at supporting me, but I am missing my female friendly interactions. The country is beautiful and I do appreciate the slower pace and the opportunity to live in this lush place. Thanks for the question. I needed to let these feelings out somehow without making my spouse feel bad.

Denise

• Liked: 1
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2004, 10:34:47 AM »
Denise...lots of hugs to you and kudos for having a good attitude about it all.  I worry about having the same problem when I get there too. 

I would honestly suggest places like UKY to help you through it.  Do not worry about saying things here.  Most have been through it or will go through it.  You will not find a better place with better people that will understand.  I will let the other people that have been there give you advice because all I can say is hang in there! Hopefully there will be other people in Wales you can get together with.
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2004, 11:08:44 AM »
Denise, I know exactly what you mean as well. I mean absolutely no offense to any of the female Brits who post on this site, but I have found British women, particularly of my own age group, very difficult to know. I can list loads of older British women I've met whom, if I lived closer, I would be friends with but in 4 years of living here, I cannot think of a single British woman my age who has made any effort to reciprocate any overtures of friendship I have made. I have other female Americans, Canadians, Slovenians, and Germans, but no Brits. Now that we are in yet another new place, like you, I'm so far relying on the DF for social contacts and all his Uni coursemates are, for the most part, single, younger and 'laddish'. So now we're both struggling! I know it will get better but it's a bit scary because I know that many other Americanwomen have posted similar experiences regarding British female friendship on this site.

Again, I mean no offense to British women. I must be doing something wrong but I just don't know what.  :(
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2004, 07:48:57 PM »
I'm joining the American women's club when i get there, as well as the junior leage of london (i'm a member of the junior league f boston) to try and meet some people other than my fiancee's wonderful friends.  I love them, but i need some of my own too.  and i know that doesn't help with befirending British women, but you never know who's friends with whom!  Sometimes i think my fiancee's best friend's wife just does not know what to do with my personality!  i'm friendly and hyper and loud and very different than her!

http://www.awclondon.org/

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2004, 07:53:58 PM »
I'm joining the American women's club when i get there, as well as the junior leage of london (i'm a member of the junior league f boston) to try and meet some people other than my fiancee's wonderful friends. 

One of our members, stephanielathrop is a member of the Junior league of London.  You might want to drop her line.   :)

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2004, 07:59:01 PM »
Thanks mindy!!!  that's great news!!!!! ;D

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2004, 08:03:58 PM »
I am so sad that you have had those experiences!  I did with a few, I volunteered at the local primary and no one would talk to me!  The Kids loved me but the rest of the teacher treated me like I had 5 heads.  My other friends are all lovely!  Have treated me like that since we met!   I think it’s the same everywhere though.  I am a very friendly person, I tell people my life story if they will listen.  Moving to NYC from Boston was an eye opener!  But really, most people are afraid of change and it’s harder to open up. 

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2004, 08:05:50 PM »
One of my Yank friends (no longer in the Uk) found some of those clubs a bit trying - only because she was a working woman (teacher) and the group she joined was mostly diplomats wives and other non-working women. Can't recall which group it was. I'm sure they aren't all like that though!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2004, 09:39:46 PM »
Stacey->Canal Street->bags-> RIGHT ON! I missed NY shopping soooo much while I was in England. Didn't buy many clothes except when I worked at Gap and used my very generous discount. This past Autumn/Winter clothing collections were not my style at all but I didnt have much extra money to spend anyway so I guess it worked out well. Im a summer clothes fanatic and have been shopping like crazy here since Ive been home (bad girl!)  :-*
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

Sponsored Links