Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Does anyone know about Bradford  (Read 793 times)

• Rich and Melissa's Photo Album
  • Liked: 0
Does anyone know about Bradford
« on: February 25, 2005, 09:50:14 PM »
Hi,

I'm applying to the University of Bradford for post-graduate studies, and my fiance and I have fallen in love with the place.  The official city website and university website hype up its diversity and being an excellent place to live for students because it is cheaper than most other places in the UK.  But I have been seeing a few post mentioning Bradford being a place of much racial tension, crime, and rather dirty in appearance.  I was wondering if anyone could clear this up, for we really like the area and the school is real excellent, or if you could recommend some areas within or outside of Bradford (say no more than a 30 minutes bikeride) that would surfice as a place to live. Thanks for the help,
~Rich
 ??? ???
"When you can do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world."  --George Washington Carver

"There's nothing so permenant as a temporary arrangement."

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."  --Marcel Proust

Re: Does anyone know about Bradford
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 10:18:31 PM »
Welcome ventureman!

Type "Bradford riots" into Google and see what you get.

Never been there.  All I know is what I read.

Jim

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 11:28:05 PM »
I've never been there either but it's known as the "curry capital" of Britain,  mmmmm yummy!

Try www.upmystreet.com for information on the area.

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 08:25:43 AM »
Yep... supposedly the best curries in Britain are in Bradford!
I have a friend in Glasgow who regularly (once a month or so) takes a jolly down to Bradford for a curry!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 11:29:45 PM »
Bradford - Yes, very culturally diverse there! I'm waiting to hear about job (been through 3 interviews) in that city, but I live in Leeds. DH (a Brit) says that Bradford is somewhat economically depressed, compared to its twin city - Leeds, and I have observed that Bradford is not as upscale & spiffy as Leeds. However, I think Bradford does have its charm with the multiculturalism (the curries--yes!) and kind of a gritty, international working class feel to it. Culture-wise, you'll see lots of southwest Asians (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc) with many of the Muslim faith, also with the inclusion of more countries into the EU -- there appears to be a fair influx of people from Eastern Europe. Walking around there is fun because you'll hear a wide variety of languages being spoken along those lines. You could live in Bradford or surrounding areas here in West Yorkshire - a beautiful county. You'll be close to lots of great hiking country -- in the Yorkshire Dales and the North Yorkshire Moors.

Carolyn B
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Rich and Melissa's Photo Album
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 01:19:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply, the description definitely helps out, especially the reference to hiking (for I will miss the Adirondacks and Catskills of New York when moving).  Peace,
~Rich
"When you can do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world."  --George Washington Carver

"There's nothing so permenant as a temporary arrangement."

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."  --Marcel Proust

Sponsored Links