Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: work clothing  (Read 913 times)

• Liked: 0
work clothing
« on: August 22, 2004, 07:44:44 AM »
I assume it's more formal attire for work in/near London where I'll be working as a social worker/counselor for the Sutton Gov.Family Services agency. I am buying some "new" stuff here as I love shopping and can't seem to stop myself from the bargains - in spite of knowing I have to pack it all with me! A friend helped me weed out the old stuff so there's all this room in my closet!   Am I right in thinking that I will be expected to dress more formally than in my US job at a school where slacks and a sweater are just as acceptable (and much more common) as a suit? I'm eager to present a professional aura (and tone down a little of my bohemian style- at least at the beginning).....lol, maybe to compensate for my nervousness/newness, eh?  I have lost some weight in the last 1 1/2 years so it's such a great excuse to buy new clothes anyway. I am hoping to leave NY in mid/late October.

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
Re: work clothing
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 01:06:28 PM »
I am not sure how SW's dress in the U.S, but here - it is well known and accepted that SW's dress very casually here in the U.K - sometimes - embarrassingly so!

I don't think you will need to tone down your own personal style at all, sounds par for the course.  Most SW's I work with are usually in jeans, pants etc as they don't spend an awful lot of time in the office and comfort is priority number one when visiting people and meeting members of the public.  I am sure a lot of this was borne out of not wanting to appear formal/intimidating/official to the s/users.

I have only ever heard of one SW being told to improve her appearance, but really everything seems to go. I would say that Senior Pracs/Team Leaders perhaps are expected to dress more business casual, but no hard and fast rules.

HTH
S.
Born to shop..............forced to work

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 01:12:10 PM »
When in doubt, wear something business like the first day. You'll get an idea of what the dress code is from your colleagues.

I don't work in the business but I do have a friend who works for Refugee Action and she dresses casually.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 02:28:35 PM »
The ONE thing I noticed about working in London -- ALOT of the women wear BLACK -- all black. 

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 12:26:56 PM »
yes, i noticed that too, but then again, when i go to london for meetings (about once or twice a month), i always wear black, it is more practical, the city is so dirty...you don't want to show up to work looking like a slob!

Sponsored Links