Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Yesterday was my first day...  (Read 841 times)

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
Yesterday was my first day...
« on: September 02, 2004, 07:46:04 AM »
I started my new library job yesterday!  I am Senior Library Assistant in the Stock and Reader Development team. I quickly learned that makes me the SLA in the SRD. Ha! :)  I spent the day being shown the location of the fire extinguishers, the locks for which I will 'soon' be getting a key and how to operate the GEAC system (the checking in and out programme) as well as my apparently vitally important Lotus Notes.

I realise I have taken a huge chop in pay by leaving teaching (basically I'm on half the salary), but I have to say having been a teacher all my working life, I was really amazed at how laid back and moderately paced the work environment is at the library. Most of the day was spent in relative silence, with people moving about the office ('staff side', they call it) just doing their work. No trying to do your work while being constantly interrupted by kids wanting to beg for an extension on coursework, no spending morning break supervising detentions, no lunches filled with phone calls to parents. And I went home empty-handed and did not feel guilty! No piles of books to be marked! No lessons to be planned!! No scheming new strategies to get Billy Bob under control tomorrow!!!

I think I'm going to like this job. :)

Re: Yesterday was my first day...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 07:49:18 AM »
Haha, sounds fantastic :)  The only work you might be taking home with you is a good read.

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 11:21:56 AM »
glad you had a good first day!
Helena

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 11:48:59 AM »
Great to hear!  After a month, I am trying to decide if I like my job or not!  I love most of the people, but the job is still not sinking in.  Guess it's because everyone is on holiday here at the mo and I'm not doing too much.

I hope to post something positive soon!

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 08:41:42 PM »
Best of luck to you...i know it can be somewhat tough starting a new job...i think that working in the UK has been one of the things that has helped me to feel more settled.  Let us know how you feel after a month or so...:)
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

Sponsored Links