Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Seriously? WTF?  (Read 12307 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Seriously? WTF?
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2017, 06:03:12 PM »
Thanks larrabee. It's good to hear that it's not just us being weird.

It is absolutely NOT just you.... I have no clue how you remain so calm and composed.

Last night, my husband says he talked to his mom and his parents don't want to do Christmas together.  They don't want to eat together or anything.  They plan to pop over in the afternoon, after Christmas dinner, for a cup of coffee.  They are also not going to the cousin's house for Boxing Day, which she hosts every year.

....Did they give any reason why??? At least it's not personal as they are clearly blowing everybody off, but I wonder why.... Your poor kids :(

Goth!

You do know it takes more than just wearing something black to be a goth, yeah? lol  ::)

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2017, 06:22:38 PM »
Shouting 'goth!' as a retort reminds me of the thing from like 10 years ago where this guy did 'Scouse 300' and it was boss. Persia badly started on Sparta, and it just kicked off after that. It's still on Livejournal (those were the days!) but the images aren't hosted on there any more, and it's a real loss to society and culture.

;D

Spartans are dead hard like.

• Liked: 248
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2017, 06:37:37 PM »
Eh lad!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2017, 08:04:55 PM »
My wedding dress was orange with lots of colourful flowers, hearts, butterflies all made out of tartan, sewn on  :D
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2017, 09:23:16 PM »
Thanks for tha PB. Yeah, I need to decide the menu.  Definitely less pressure without the inlaws.

My husband spent a ton of time with his grandparents growing up so he's as confused as anyone.  Especially as his mom spent years saying "I'm never going to be a grandmother."   ::)

We are dairy, soya, and gluten free.  Some can eat some things, but best of all free from those as we can all have them.

Haven't tried the baby with nuts yet...  too scared!   ;D

My family does filet mignon, crab legs, mashed potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts, and crescent rolls for Christmas + custard pie and other desserts. I was sick of having Turkey twice in a month and instigated a new tradition.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2017, 09:27:05 PM »
I wore black on my wedding! Never let anybody pressure you into doing something that isn't you :) I'm glad you held your ground Blossom!

I wore a peach lace wiggle dress from the 1950's for our ceremony. Planning on wearing it again!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2017, 09:22:40 AM »
My wedding dress was orange with lots of colourful flowers, hearts, butterflies all made out of tartan, sewn on  :D

This sounds lovely! Please tell me you have a picture! :) Very curious to see all the flowers/hearts/butterflies!

I like that so many of us went nontraditional :)

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2017, 09:47:30 AM »
I like that so many of us went nontraditional :)

I've got a few theories on that:

- Visas are expensive, so there's not as much money to go toward a big wedding

- US/UK weddings might generally be smaller since not everyone can come, so they might be a bit more low-key (I know more US/UK couples who did registry office than US couples who went to the court house)

- After the stress of visa paperwork, a small, non-traditional wedding is appealing

- In US/UK couples, one partner is likely to be out of the country for most/all of the wedding planning period, putting extra stress on one person or extra complications trying to plan it remotely

- US/UK couples on a fiance visa only have 6 months in the UK to get married, so time is limited

- Paperwork is a real romance killer

I'm impressed by everyone who moved here on a fiance or spouse visa and still had a big white dress and traditional wedding. I was busy stressing about visas, getting my name on bills and giving notice. Plus, trying to navigate the supermarkets and other daily stuff you have to relearn when moving to a new country.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2017, 10:35:23 AM »
I can totally see that being a reason behind most of US/UK weddings. For me, though, it was because A. I think I'd look horrible in white, black was a much more flatting colour for me and B. I didn't like the whole "brides wear white because they are pure/etc." thing because that is probably the last way a person would describe me hahaha

I will say, however, that I want to have a vow renewal where we get to celebrate with people on this side of the pond (as we got married in the US and had my friends and family with literally his brothers and sister and mum and dad only) and for that I'm entertaining wearing something white. That's wayyy far off though as we have a million more pressing matters on our plate presently that we're putting that off.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2017, 12:04:55 PM »
We eloped so I just bought off the rack.

Sunday - decided to elope

Monday - bought dress after work at Debenhams.  I felt pretty.  But giant heels so it wouldn't need hemming

Tuesday - normal day

Wednesday - flew to NYC, gave notice, spent day with jeweller shopping and designing rings

Thursday - picked up rings, officially engaged at 8pm

Friday - married at 9am

Sunday - flew home

We had been dating a couple of years and living together for one year.  I much preferrred good rings and an awesome honeymoon (ours was epic) to a traditional party.  I wish we had had *a* party somewhere but we never did.  We didn't exchange vows and would like to at some point.  But may just do that during a church service one Sunday or with my brother in private (my brother is a minister).

• Liked: 85
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2017, 12:09:20 PM »
;D

Spartans are dead hard like.

Rrrrrrr mate!

« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2017, 12:15:19 PM »
We eloped so I just bought off the rack.

Sunday - decided to elope

Monday - bought dress after work at Debenhams.  I felt pretty.  But giant heels so it wouldn't need hemming

Tuesday - normal day

Wednesday - flew to NYC, gave notice, spent day with jeweller shopping and designing rings

Thursday - picked up rings, officially engaged at 8pm

Friday - married at 9am

Sunday - flew home

We had been dating a couple of years and living together for one year.  I much preferrred good rings and an awesome honeymoon (ours was epic) to a traditional party.  I wish we had had *a* party somewhere but we never did.  We didn't exchange vows and would like to at some point.  But may just do that during a church service one Sunday or with my brother in private (my brother is a minister).

Out of curiosity (feel free not to answer), how did family/friends react with your decision? I think your story is awesome so hopefully everybody was supportive.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2017, 12:22:59 PM »
Out of curiosity (feel free not to answer), how did family/friends react with your decision? I think your story is awesome so hopefully everybody was supportive.

We only told our parents in advance who were incredibly supportive and pleased!  My parents adore my husband and I *think* my inlaws like me.

We texted a photo only to our brothers (we each have one) afterwards.

My brother and his wife were THRILLED.  We were living in sin after all.   ;D 

My brother in law was a bit gutted.  He didn't believe us at first.  He wanted to do the whole best man, traditional thing.  But then he got married and saw that it wasn't THEIR wedding anymore as everyone had opinions.  He then told us we made the best decision ever.

Friends and extended family were thrilled.  His cousin (who we are close with) cried she was so happy!

« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2017, 12:28:40 PM »
We only told our parents in advance who were incredibly supportive and pleased!  My parents adore my husband and I *think* my inlaws like me.

We texted a photo only to our brothers (we each have one) afterwards.

My brother and his wife were THRILLED.  We were living in sin after all.   ;D 

My brother in law was a bit gutted.  He didn't believe us at first.  He wanted to do the whole best man, traditional thing.  But then he got married and saw that it wasn't THEIR wedding anymore as everyone had opinions.  He then told us we made the best decision ever.

Friends and extended family were thrilled.  His cousin (who we are close with) cried she was so happy!

Really really pleased to hear that :) I wish me and my husband did that.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2017, 12:34:46 PM »
Really really pleased to hear that :) I wish me and my husband did that.

We love our story and have no regrets.

I recently posted a picture on Facebook of us getting married and found out the same man has married us and THREE of my friends.  Pretty fun!  He had the best mustache ever.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab