Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Name tag on my desk  (Read 3243 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Name tag on my desk
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 09:15:37 AM »
Jimbo, post-it note with your preferred work name in big letters stuck over it will get the message across  ;)

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 10:33:27 AM »
Oops, feeling bad for calling you jfk a few times! Sorry.  :-[

Do not feel bad!  Text-based forums where we all use usernames are different to dinner parties where there's a handshake and introduction.  UKY doesn't count!

I was taught to always call people how they've been introduced, especially if they introduced themselves.

Yes!  This is how we should all be taught.  I don't ever remember being taught that, but I was very "literal" growing up, so if someone told me their name was something, that is what I called them.

Whatever name someone tells me is theirs - that is the one I call them.  I am constantly amazed when I hear everyone else around me shortening the name and the person is quite happy for that.  Why didn't they tell me that from the beginning?

My brother's wife is called Jessica.  For years I called her Jessica.  Then one day my sister said, you know she goes by "Jess" or "Jesse", right?  I mean, she was a permanent fixture in the family home by the time my sister said that to me. I didn't notice I was the only one usibg her full name.  And it turned out she preferred the shortened name.

I was introduced to a girl at work being told her name was Maria.  I met her again a few days later and everyone was calling her Ronel.  Why didn't she tell me that?  Her first name was Maria and her middle name was Petronella.  What can I say?

In a case like that, if someone made the introduction using the "real" name, but she had a different preference, Ronel should have immediately said, "It's nice to meet you. Please, call me Ronel."

Am I old enough to moan about missing manners in today's society?  Can I yell at people to get off my lawn, too?  Geez.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:35:25 AM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 248
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 11:42:39 AM »
Its your lawn, you've earned the right.  Age is a wonderful thing!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 12:57:07 PM »
I’m struck how it’s common sense and widely agreed that you should make an effort to call people whatever they want, but the right wingers would say that calling people by whatever gender they want is politically correct.   

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 01:00:16 PM »
Not that I am accusing anyone on this thread of that.  Sometimes I wish we had some right wingers to argue with, but it would probably get old quick. 

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 01:30:50 PM »
Not that I am accusing anyone on this thread of that.  Sometimes I wish we had some right wingers to argue with, but it would probably get old quick.

I find UKY utterly refreshing compared to all the other social media I ignore lately.  There are far too many opposing views to argue with, and it's futile, anyway.  I've shut it all off.  If they want to destroy society and the world, let them.  I've got my little corner and we're carving out a life for ourselves here (despite Theresa May's best efforts to stop us!).
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 20
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 01:35:59 PM »
At a previous employer, there was a long tradition of pranking staff who were away on holiday. I came back from a trip to find my work space had been completely emptied of everything.  Laptop, monitors, work papers, stuff in drawers, personal items, the lot.  It took me about three minutes before I realised that my coworkers had photographed my cube, and then painstakingly reconstructed it in the adjacent empty cubicle. As the work space had been occupied when I left for my holiday, I didn't notice the difference.     

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 02:17:43 PM »
Ha!  I did work at a place where we were a small team and the owner was out of town on a new starter’s first day.  We all agreed by email (IM did not even exist!) that we would stand up at 1 and do star jumps.  I stood up and announced it was time for calesthenics and we all did 10 jumping jacks.  New Guy joined in! 

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 02:59:35 PM »
Ha!  I did work at a place where we were a small team and the owner was out of town on a new starter’s first day.  We all agreed by email (IM did not even exist!) that we would stand up at 1 and do star jumps.  I stood up and announced it was time for calesthenics and we all did 10 jumping jacks.  New Guy joined in!

Good for him. Shows team spirit!  ;D

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 03:17:33 PM »
Yeah, we all laughed and he was genuinely happy to be part of the team.  We all got along like a house on fire until the company went belly up.

• Liked: 248
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 03:24:15 PM »
Hubby was running a kitchen in a restaurant.  One of the new ladies was late every day with tales of high drama.  Apparently she had a horrible attitude and would ruin moral.  One morning when she was late, as usual, Hubby called everyone together and told them to back him up.  He then fixed a blue Smurf on his shoulder.  No one was to acknowledge the Smurf's existence.  The lady arrived and began to recount her reasons for being late and stopped when she saw the Smurf.  Hubby denied that anything was on his shoulder.  Everyone kept that up all day.  She did not see the joke when they told her.  She continued to be late, unpleasant and didn't do her job.  She didn't last long.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 04:12:07 PM »
Yeah, we all laughed and he was genuinely happy to be part of the team.  We all got along like a house on fire until the company went belly up.

Yeah, it's all fun and games until the money runs out..

• Liked: 223
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »
At a previous employer, there was a long tradition of pranking staff who were away on holiday. I came back from a trip to find my work space had been completely emptied of everything.  Laptop, monitors, work papers, stuff in drawers, personal items, the lot.  It took me about three minutes before I realised that my coworkers had photographed my cube, and then painstakingly reconstructed it in the adjacent empty cubicle. As the work space had been occupied when I left for my holiday, I didn't notice the difference.   

I used to sit next to the developers so their pranks were usually computer-related.

A bit of tape over the mouse sensor is a good one.

If someone leaves their desk without logging off their computer, a screen shot of their screen, viewed as an image and made full screen is funny.

Plugging in someone else's keyboard and/or mouse is entertaining. ;D
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 11:27:47 AM »
There’s a little known keyboard shortcut that makes everything in the monitor sideways. That’s usually good for a laugh.

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 11:28:19 AM »
There’s a little known keyboard shortcut that makes everything in the monitor sideways. That’s usually good for a laugh.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab