Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My driving test  (Read 1177 times)

• Liked: 0
My driving test
« on: June 18, 2005, 02:56:54 PM »
I took it on Friday and failed!  I feel really down but I booked a retest in Aug.  My year is up so I can just drive with my hubby. How many times does it take to pass?

Re: My driving test
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 04:19:26 PM »
Sorry for this setback.  Facing the test myself in the next few months, so I would be interested in all the details of what cost you points.  Thanks in advance.

Jim

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 10:02:02 PM »
If it's any consolation, I'm sure that many of us who grew up in Britain and have held a UK license for many years would quite probably fail a test on some trivial little things too.

So what "offenses" were the marks against you for? 

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• Holme Beauty and Massage - Mobile Beauty Therapy in Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 10:41:51 AM »
Sorry to hear that :(

I am going to be taking my test soon too and like everyone has asked, I'd be curious as to what gave you troubles?

Did you take any driving lessons?  If so, how many?

I'm sure it's hard to say how long it takes to 'pass', my husband passed the first time he took his test, but has only had his licence for about 3 years.  He had no clue how to drive before that, so the difference is probably that he learned the 'correct' way.  I'm a bit concerned because I have held my American DL for 16 years, and I'm concerned that I'll 'fail' on 'bad habits'.  In saying this, I've never been in an accident in the 16 years that I've driven, and I think I'm a fairly good driver. 

Chin up though, hopefully when you DO pass it will be all the more sweeter.   :)
My head is STILL spinning!

www.holmebeauty.com

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 12:06:06 PM »
:( I'm sorry. But do try to remember that last year the pass rate for the entire country was only 42.8% - well below half. And that includes people taking the test for the 2nd or 3rd time. Passing on the first attempt is not expected so try not to let it get you too down.

I had a big ole post typed out with a list of the little things that people tend to fail because of - but I took too long typing it and got logged out. Instead I will say to go take a look at 2pass.co.uk it's a great site loaded with tons of info. They also have some very good forums which may be helpful.  Check it out.

Rosie
All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers. ~François Fénelon

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 12:07:10 PM »
Sorry to hear about your failure...but best of luck in taking it again...my english hubby took three times to pass his test...

i took mine the end of march 2004 and passed the first time...i got 7 points and felt like if the test had lasted any longer i would have failed it...because i think that if you have 14 points you fail...I missed points on signalling - don't even know how i messed that up, stopping in the wrong place and going over the speed limit - which i thought i was really careful about...

the tester made me feel good because he complimented me on my driving skills..he said that he could tell that i had been driving for a while in the US...

It was the best feeling passing my test - so don't give up..i'm sure you will be allright hte next time...
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 12:11:02 PM »
It was the best feeling passing my test - so don't give up..i'm sure you will be allright hte next time...

Ditto for me. I passed the first time as well, but I think a lot of it is luck. If you're lucky, you don't even encounter situations that call for tricky stuff. Mine was smooth sailing and we hardly even met much other traffic. At times like that, as long as you get your maneuvers down, you'll be fine.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 12:42:28 PM »
On this subject, I've finally gotten around to booking the theory part of the test. How challenging did everybody find it- Were there a lot of "trick questions"? I'm just trying to gauge how many hours of my time I should invest in this annoying initiative before taking the test. Thanks for your advice! : )
AMERICAN FREAK!

• Snaps
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 12:43:49 PM »
On this subject, I've finally gotten around to booking the theory part of the test. How challenging did everybody find it- Were there a lot of "trick questions"? I'm just trying to gauge how many hours of my time I should invest in this annoying initiative before taking the test. Thanks for your advice! : )

Get the DVLA theory test study guide. And the CD-ROM for the hazard perception test. If you get up to speed (no pun intended), you'll do great.

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 09:57:00 AM »
I took a lot of time taking tests online.  And they helped a lot...got only one wrong.  The questions can be tough and you do have to know the parts about the car itself - I had a question about how to top off engine coolant or something like that.

I've put off my driving test until the fall as I didn't have the money to take lessons this summer with a move and all.  I'm ready to pass after a few attempts...I think the average passing rate in London is something like 37%!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 10:01:46 AM »
Someone was telling me that as part of a government initiative to reduce road accidents by 40% -- the examiners actually have quotas as to how many people to pass & how many to fail (percentages) each day.  Does anyone know if that's for real?

It hardly seems fair.  I know that (based on that) I would want my driving test to be scheduled earlier in the day vs later.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 10:07:52 AM »
the examiners actually have quotas as to how many people to pass & how many to fail (percentages) each day. 
Those stories have been around for decades, perhaps even since driver testing started here in the 1930s.

The official response is always that there is no question of quotas being applied and that each candidate passes or fails on his own merits.

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 12:41:20 AM »
Someone was telling me that as part of a government initiative to reduce road accidents by 40% -- the examiners actually have quotas as to how many people to pass & how many to fail (percentages) each day.  Does anyone know if that's for real?

No that is not true. If it were, there wouldn't be such wide variances from testing centre to testing centre - some with barely over 20% pass rates and others with 80%.  But if it were, I'd want my test later in the day. Cause as an examiner, I'd just get all my fails with over before lunch and kick back the rest of the day. :)   If you do have a choice of testing centres it couldn't hurt to compare their pass rates to see if you can make it a little more favourable. Of course that is no sure thing as you can only get last years rates. I know of one testing centre that went from 75% one year to 16% the next year - but up to 57% the year after that.  Anyone else think one cranky, nit picking examiner was having a heck of a bad year???

Rosie
All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers. ~François Fénelon

• Snaps
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 07:50:03 AM »

It hardly seems fair.  I know that (based on that) I would want my driving test to be scheduled earlier in the day vs later.

My very cynical driving instructor was of the opinion that fail rates were on the up in order to increase government revenue -- i.e., you have to pay every time you re-take the test. I'm not sure if he's right, but you have to wonder.

Regarding the time of day you take your test, my instructor advised me to take it after rush hour and school traffic, but still in the morning. It wasn't due to quotas, but just so that the examiner would be fresher and less cranky. It worked! I passed!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 08:47:51 AM »
Regarding the time of day you take your test, my instructor advised me to take it after rush hour and school traffic, but still in the morning. It wasn't due to quotas, but just so that the examiner would be fresher and less cranky. It worked! I passed!

Well these are the things that I'm thinking of! :)  Does anyone know where I can find the pass/fail rates of different testing centres?  For instance, I may very likely take my lessons & test in the Harrogate area instead of Leeds -- in the hopes that things will go a little more smoothly (city streets in Leeds being more urban & spaghetti-like).

Also, the reason that I asked about the quota thing -- while it may be a myth -- is because whoever told me indicated that had come from a driving instructor or testing examiner. ???
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab