Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visited US by ship – when did I enter/leave the US/UK  (Read 360 times)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
Visited US by ship – when did I enter/leave the US/UK
« on: September 16, 2008, 11:14:04 AM »
I have a US passport with an ILR stamp from the UK.

Boarded the ship in the UK  on 29 August. Someone looked at my passport at the terminal before I boarded. Arrived in New York on 4 September. Passport was viewed again at immigration. No stamps were placed in my passport.

Took a plane from the US to the UK on 14 September.. Flew overnight and arrived in the UK on 15 September, where I received a stamp from UK immigration.

So, for the purpose of my citizenship application, does my time at sea count as being in the UK, the US, both, neither?

Also, what about US taxes and the foreign earned income exclusion? Does my time at sea count as days in or out of the US? If out of the US, what country was I in? Should I post a separate thread on the Taxes board?

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
Re: Visited US by ship – when did I enter/leave the US/UK
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 09:49:39 PM »
sweetpeach, for your citizenship application, the following dates out of what you mentioned will be relevant...

You were present in the UK on 29 August - so that does not count as a day out of the country.

You were present again in the UK on 15 September - so that does not count as a day out of the country.

The dates 30 August - 14 September, you were outside the UK, and you would detail them as such on your citizenship application, with a short description of the holiday - you could say cruise to the US or something like that.

Not sure about the passport stamps/no stamps - maybe keep a copy of your trip itinerary with your records just in case you ever need it?

No idea on your tax question.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

Sponsored Links