Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Student loan, employment & ILR Question  (Read 579 times)

• Liked: 0
US Student loan, employment & ILR Question
« on: June 28, 2008, 04:45:04 PM »
Hi all

I have a question regarding my US student loan and our ability to pay for ourselves without a third party. My US student loan is debited from my US account every month ($230 a month). Because I didn't find work until nearly 6 month after I moved here, my dad started paying off my student loan for me ie putting the money in my account every month to  be deducted. Should I get a letter from my dad stating he has paid for it every month and that it's as a gift ie not repayable?

Or will that not be necessary because it's in the US?

When I was working I could afford to pay it, but because my job was temp and I was never sure if it was going to be extended further I never got around to actually paying it. I definitely want to pay it in the future when I get another (hopefully permenant) job.

Also, I've been looking for work, applying for jobs and etc since my contract ended at my previous emplloyer at the end of April (and before then too obviously). I've had a few interviews, but I've been advised by job agencies that they can't even find temp work for me because my visa is due to expire 1 August. (Because I didn't arrive in the UK until 19th August 2006, I can't apply for the ILR until July 22nd). I even have an email from the local Reed agency stating that once I have my ILR I should definitely get in touch with them. I know I can apply directly for jobs and have been doing that lately.

Should I state all this in a letter and provide a copy of this email, and job interview confirmations to prove I am looking for work, want to work but just can't find at the moment due to my visa expiring soon?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 04:49:48 PM by PrincessJuls02 »
Juls xx

Arrived in the UK on spousal visa: 19/08/06
Posted ILR Application 23/7/08
ILR app arrival at UKIBA & Fee Taken: 24/7/08
ILR issued: 29/8/08
ILR arrived here: 03/09/08

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: US Student loan, employment & ILR Question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 10:00:48 AM »
Yes, I think you should explain all of this.

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 08:15:53 PM »
Yes, I think you should explain all of this.

Vicky

Thanks Vicky,

I'll get my dad to write a letter. Some of my loan statements are in my evidence but I haven't received one in awhile since we switched to direct debit.

I have a section in the evidence about my job search and letters from prospective employers about interviews and I'll add the email from the agency stating I should contact them when I get the ILR.

Thanks!
Juls xx

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 10:43:15 PM »
Is a letter from my dad about the US student loan (That it's being paid as a gift and won't be repaid) necessary? Or could I just verify that that's the case?
Juls xx

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 08:36:52 AM »
This is the letter I have worked on for my dad to sign, it's easier to send it via email to my sister and get her to give it to him since he doesn't have a computer.

I would like to verify that I have paid my daughter’s student loan since its repayment plan began in October 2006. I am willing to continue this payment for as long as necessary until my daughter is financially secure enough to repay the loan herself. This payment is a gift, and therefore, does not require any repayment to me.  Julia has included a number of these loan statements in her supporting evidence as proof of her address in England.

If you have any questions regarding this arrangement, feel free to contact me during business hours on [phone number]. I am the owner and operator of a small motel in [name of town], Florida, and the phone number above is for the front desk.

Does that seem ok?
Juls xx

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 11:39:32 AM »
I would imagine so.

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 05:08:32 PM »
Thanks.
Juls xx

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 06:06:20 PM »
I was reading the application form, in Section 7.5 it asks:

Does a relative or friend of you or your partner, or both of you, regularly give you money

I'm assuming I'd tick YES since my dad provides money for my student loan. However, this money does not contribute to supporting us financially in the UK.

Then in Section 10 - Note 6 it states that they do not accept internet or cashpoint statements as evidence of your own finances, you must provide bank statements or other documents of the kind described above as evidence of their financial resources. The documents showing the fiances available to you and to any person supporting you should cover the last three months.

I'm assuming this means I should provide my bank statements (from my US account) showing the deposits of money into my account. The thing is, I don't get paper statements so all I have is the online PDF's. They show as scanned image of the deposit slips filled out by my dad to put the money in my account. His name is on the account, but he has put my name on the deposit slip and usually deposits cash.

If I provide these statements as evidence that my dad deposits this money into my account, in my name, do they need to see my dad's other bank accounts or anything that proves he can provide this money? As stated before he's self employed. I'm just worried I've left it too late if this is the case. I have to submit send in my application & evidence at the earliest July 22nd but before my spousal visa expires  1 August.

To be honest I'm tempted not to mention the student loan and take out the loan statements from my evidence...I don't want to do this it is going to cause a problem though, obviously.

Any advice??
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 06:46:59 PM by PrincessJuls02 »
Juls xx

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab