Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: british passport  (Read 403 times)

• Liked: 0
british passport
« on: July 04, 2008, 12:41:58 PM »
Hello
Im applying for ILR based on 5 years on my work permit this October. I married a British guy 2 years ago though in 2006.  Am I able to get a british passport as soon as I get ILR or do I still need to wait a year after getting it to naturalise?

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: british passport
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 12:52:04 PM »
You won't need to wait.

Victoria

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 01:04:42 PM »
So I can apply right away based on 5 years on the work permit?

I was reading the web and it said that I can get citizenship after three years as a spouse of a brit as long as I have ILR in my passport.  That will be May 5, 2009.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 01:07:48 PM »
No, you need to have had 3 years in the UK in any status.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 01:14:03 PM »
Oh ok I guess I was getting confused because a lot of people on the boards are here by marriage and have to fulfill the 2 years FLR to get ILR and then they have to wait a year for citizenship.

Wow thats really exciting!

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 05:37:37 PM »
No, you need to have had 3 years in the UK in any status.

Vicky

Would you mind repeating that so I make sure I understand it right?  My friend will have been in the UK on a work permit for five years in September, but isn't married to anyone, Brit or otherwise.  So, once she gets her ILR, she's then free to apply for citizenship?  She thought she had to wait another year...but you're saying 'in any status'? 

If I understand you right, I think she'll be thrilled to know that...
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 06:21:55 PM »
Would you mind repeating that so I make sure I understand it right?  My friend will have been in the UK on a work permit for five years in September, but isn't married to anyone, Brit or otherwise.  So, once she gets her ILR, she's then free to apply for citizenship?  She thought she had to wait another year...but you're saying 'in any status'? 

If I understand you right, I think she'll be thrilled to know that...

No, she'll have to wait another year, actually.  People who aren't married to British citizens have to have held ILR for one year before they are eligible for naturalisation.  I think what Vicky means by "in any status" is that any type of legal residence counts towards the number of years of residence needed for naturalisation, which is a separate issue from needing to be on ILR for a year before naturalising (again, only for those who aren't married to British citizens).
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 08:24:59 PM »
Got it - I see what Vicky is saying.  4th of July brain kicking in, and our party isn't until tomorrow!  ;)

Thanks!
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab