Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Question about FLR  (Read 1319 times)

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
Question about FLR
« on: October 12, 2005, 07:52:45 AM »
Just want to see if I have this right.

I'm here on a fiancee visa, expiring at the end of Feb.  We're getting married Feb 24th and sending off the FLR stuff the next day.

The FLR is a full page sticker now right? Looking similiar to the fiancee visa?  So it will have my name on it?

The reason I ask is because when I got my passport in 2002 I was still using my former married name.  Have since legally changed back to my maiden and amended my passport to reflect that.  But the fiancee visa was issued under the name originally in the passport, which I was assured by the nice gentleman on the phone was what they had to do, even though my application had a different name.

So basically what I'm asking is - will my FLR be a full page stamp that says Jennifer Roy (my ex-name) rather than Jennifer Karcz (my current legal name) or Jennifer Dunlop (my name upon my marriage to Alex, which will be how I fill out the application)?
Maroon Passport Club!

• Liked: 0
Re: Question about FLR
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 08:03:06 AM »
again, I don't know anything about this topic, but it would seem like they should have used your maiden name you had amended to your passport as it is the most up to date information by law. Hmm, I'd also guess that your new married name wouldn't appear since you haven't legally amended that yet (like, do they just force that upon you becasue you are now married?)... but we are talking about two governments here guess you may just get a surprise later  ;D ooh it will be just like Christmas!

please let us know  ;D

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 08:36:24 AM »
Well they won't be "forcing it on me".  I could just as easily and legally keep my current name when I marry him.  But I am choosing to take his from the moment we are married and thus when I send in the FLR form it will have my name as Jennifer Dunlop.

Heh, it makes me  ;D just to type that.

Maroon Passport Club!

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 08:37:29 AM »
It's been awhile since I did my FLR or my ILR (couple years now, in fact) but on both of these, there is no name on them at all.  The FLR was just a stamp with a Home Office reference, stating I was allowed to work and live in the UK with no recourse to public funds.  The ILR is a little sticker which again has no name on it at all.  Just a few reference numbers and the date it came into effect.  

So I'd wager you shouldn't worry about the name thing for the visa purposes, but you may want to have your name amended on your passport again.  You can do this for free through the US Embassy.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 08:43:19 AM »
It was my understanding from various threads on here that the FLR had changed from a stamp to a full page sticker similar to the fiancee visa (and the fact that the form asks for passport size photos seems to support this). 

Can someone who has recently gone through FLR or Garry clarify this?

Also, I understood from posts on this board that they are no longer amending US passports for name changes, you get a new one (which is free if the passport was issued less than a year ago and $67 if it was more than a year ago). 
Maroon Passport Club!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 09:06:36 AM »
FLR and ILR are now full-page stickers with your photo and all relevant details (i.e. name) on them.

Can't help you on the passport thing, though.  I had mine amended years ago when it was completely free and could be done in person same-day.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 09:18:58 AM »
Thanks Peedal.  Now the question is do they issue the FLR in the married name or the name in the passport?  Anyone done FLR by post recently that can answer that?
Maroon Passport Club!

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 09:23:24 AM »
I got ILR done in March, and it's in my married name which is the amended name in my passport.  That probably doesn't help you specifically, but I thought I'd put it out there!  ;)

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 01:00:01 PM »
I got ILR done in March, and it's in my married name which is the amended name in my passport.  That probably doesn't help you specifically, but I thought I'd put it out there!  ;)

That actually makes me feel better Peedal, thanks! Did you do yours by post or in person?

I know I'm being a whiny baby to be bothered by the possibility of the FLR also saying Roy, but it's my own dumb fault for not changing bcak to my maiden name at the time of my divorce.  And I know I could get a new one now with Karcz but it's silly to do that when i'm just going to turn around again and get a new one saying Dunlop.  Oh well at least by the time I go for ILR I'll just have the Dunlop one  ;D
Maroon Passport Club!

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 01:03:48 PM »
I did it in person.  But that was before it went up to £500 for in person applications (actually, pretty much the day before!).

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 01:19:22 PM »
I'm fairly sure that your visa will be issued with the name on your passport. I couldn't get mine in my married name because my passport still had my maiden name. However, if it matters at all, it will say you are the "spouse of ___ ____." Like, mine says "Michelle MaidenName, Spouse of Peter _____."

I just had this done in May (in person). However, I got married in the states, got my visa and then came over so I suppose there is a possibility that it could be different for you but I wouldn't think so.

You are correct that if you want to change your passport to your married name at this point, you will have to get a new passport. :(

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 01:20:11 PM »
I did it in person.  But that was before it went up to £500 for in person applications (actually, pretty much the day before!).

You got luck peedal!!  It sounds like you got through before the amending fee and the visa price went up!  Now I guess we just have to pay through the teeth!  ::)

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 01:25:54 PM »
I'm fairly sure that your visa will be issued with the name on your passport. I couldn't get mine in my married name because my passport still had my maiden name. However, if it matters at all, it will say you are the "spouse of ___ ____." Like, mine says "Michelle MaidenName, Spouse of Peter _____."

I just had this done in May (in person). However, I got married in the states, got my visa and then came over so I suppose there is a possibility that it could be different for you but I wouldn't think so.

You are correct that if you want to change your passport to your married name at this point, you will have to get a new passport. :(

So is this post wrong then to put your married name on your passport application?  Or does the British consulate just ignore the married name and then go ahead and put whatever name is on your passport on your spousal visa?  I'm just extremely confused about what name actually goes on the FLR.  There has to be a hard and fast rule for this somewhere.  I've searched this site and I'm getting conflicting information.  Does anyone have their spousal visa with their married name (not matching the name on their passport)?  How does this work?  :) 

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=11375.0

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 11:39:14 AM »
When I send in my app I think I'll stick a post-it on my passport photo page saying "see page 24 for amendment"and hopefully they'll issue the FLR in my amended (maiden) name. 

I feel like I'm being really silly over this, I mean in the grand scheme of things the world's not going to end if they put my ex-husband's last name.  The important thing is I'll be married to Alex and settled in the UK.
Maroon Passport Club!

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 11:47:03 AM »
From what I heard,whatever name is on your passport  is what they will issue the FLR in. You have to get your passport name changed for them to issue your FLR in your current married name since legally you are still called what is in your passport.

Sponsored Links