Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: First time filling - Form 2555, 1040, UK Pension  (Read 137 times)

• Liked: 0
First time filling - Form 2555, 1040, UK Pension
« on: April 12, 2024, 08:24:11 PM »
Hello! New to the forum, can I just say, what a fantastic community to have!

My partner is applying for the Streamlined procedure. His income is pretty low, it is far from the FEIE threshold.

There are a couple of things that are unclear to us, any help or insight will be appreciated!

1) On Form 2555, line 6a: If you previously filed Form 2555 or Form 2555-EZ, enter the last year you filed the form. I am of course backfilling 2020-2022, do I enter "2020" on 2021, "2021" on the 2022 form, etc?

And what about when I submit the current 2023 tax year later - do I tick that box in that case? Does it even matter?

2)  On Form 2555, line 15b: Enter the type of visa under which you entered the foreign country and 15c: Did your visa limit the length of your stay or employment in a foreign country? If “Yes,” attach explanation .

He entered before Brexit, therefore he was a pre-settled status. Yes, it's not a visa, but if he went away for more than 6 months he would loose the status in the future, does it mean I should tick yes anywhere? Or leave it as no?

3) Do you usually submit payslips for the current tax year instead of P60 since the tax years don't add match? Or do you not attach any documents at all? They are not W-2 after all.

4) UK Pension - the most complicated one. Apart from FBAR and form 8938 - do you report the employer's contributions anywhere? Is it required? Do you also fill out that 8833 form for the UK/US Trust treaty?

If he potentially filled those employer's contributions, I'm assuming if it would still fall below those 12,500-13,850 "Standard deduction or itemized deductions" threshold, there would be no harm to that? Since his total standard salary would be fully excluded on 2555 FEIE, wherever those contributions end up, they won't be taxed anyway?

Thank you so much in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab