Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Married now (yay!) and ready to begin Spousal Visa Application Process  (Read 1474 times)

• Liked: 216
Hi there!

Well, we've gone and done it! We got married in Miami on 17 May! I have been in UK for the last month and a half just visiting and spending time with my husband but I am heading back to the states next week and ready to get the ball rolling! So, I am wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to make this tedious process go as smoothly as possible...

A few questions...
1) Is there a post here on this site or another website you recommend that gives a list of all documentation needed? Or do you just use the actual UK gov site to get all of the info? I want to try to gather all documentation I need from my husband before I leave the UK and take it back with me versus him having to send anything by post.

2) Is there a post here on this site or elsewhere that gives a road map of sorts, a step-by-step for the process and the best way to do it all?

3) How much more does it cost to do a priority application?

I'm so super nervous about all of this and I tend to shut down when I get overwhelmed by something. Obviously, I can't shut down with this if I ever want to join my husband in the UK. I'm so eager to just be in the UK with him already permanently. The thought of us being apart is so rough on us. I just want to do all of this as quickly and efficiently as possible so I can get back here soon. I'm having so much anxiety.  [smiley=anxious.gif]

Any and all help and direction appreciated! Thanks!  :)
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 6110
Hi there!

Well, we've gone and done it! We got married in Miami on 17 May! I have been in UK for the last month and a half just visiting and spending time with my husband but I am heading back to the states next week and ready to get the ball rolling! So, I am wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to make this tedious process go as smoothly as possible...

A few questions...
1) Is there a post here on this site or another website you recommend that gives a list of all documentation needed? Or do you just use the actual UK gov site to get all of the info? I want to try to gather all documentation I need from my husband before I leave the UK and take it back with me versus him having to send anything by post.

2) Is there a post here on this site or elsewhere that gives a road map of sorts, a step-by-step for the process and the best way to do it all?

3) How much more does it cost to do a priority application?

I'm so super nervous about all of this and I tend to shut down when I get overwhelmed by something. Obviously, I can't shut down with this if I ever want to join my husband in the UK. I'm so eager to just be in the UK with him already permanently. The thought of us being apart is so rough on us. I just want to do all of this as quickly and efficiently as possible so I can get back here soon. I'm having so much anxiety.  [smiley=anxious.gif]

Any and all help and direction appreciated! Thanks!  :)

Congratulations!

What you send depends on your situation, what category are you applying under, does he own or rent his home, have you lived together ever? Ksand has a great  general list though,  have a look through her posts to find it.

Priority is $793 and definitely worth it at this time of year.

• Liked: 3596
Married now (yay!) and ready to begin Spousal Visa Application Process
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 04:10:18 PM »
Congratulations !

In regards to your questions:

1) Since each individual application will required different documents, the easiest thing is for you to post your personal situation here in this thread, including how you meet the financial requirement and where you will live in the U.K., and then we can advise on what documents you will need.

2) a couple of people have posted flowcharts for the different visas, and I also usually post a list of the order to doing things for the application, but I’m on my phone at the moment, so will have to post later

3) Priority applications are an extra £573 (currently $793 in USD)

Edited because they changed the price of priority in USD again - it was $834 when I looked yesterday(?):
https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/usa/user_pay_services.html#Settlement-priority-visa-service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick replies, larrabee and ksand24!

Here's a bit of info/background..

• I believe I'll be applying for the "family of a settled person" visa as he is a British citizen.
    We have been in a relationship since April 2016.
    We have never lived together but have spent considerable time visiting with each other in both the US and the UK. I have spent more time in the UK than he has in the US however.
    We will be living in Penrith, England.
    He owns his home.
    We are both divorced.
    He has a 10 year old daughter.
    He has been working at his current job for several years and makes somewhere around £30,000 per year.
    I have a substantial savings that I believe will cover the financial requirement.

Those are the basics! Is there anything else that would be helpful?

• Liked: 3596
No problem :).

Okay, of the info you provided, the important stuff for figuring out your documents is the following:

-  We have been in a relationship since April 2016.
- We have never lived together
- He owns his home.
- We are both divorced.
- He has been working at his current job for several years and makes somewhere around £30,000 per year.
I have a substantial savings that I believe will cover the financial requirement.

So, for those things, you will need:

Accommodation documents
- His Land Registry Document
Optional:
- his latest original mortgage statement

Relationship Documents:

- Marriage certificate
- Both of your divorce decrees
- 2 photos of you together
- Boarding passes from flights to see each other
- Letters/cards sent to each other
- Screenshots of regular communication between you since April 2016, such as emails, calls, messages etc. NO content should be included, just a list of dates/times, on about 2-3 sheets of paper for each type of communication

Financial Requirements:
Sounds like you might be able to use either Category A (his employment income) OR Category D (your cash savings). If you have enough in cash savings, that's the easiest category because it requires the least documentation.

You need to show for Category D:
- 6 full months of original bank statements showing that the balance has not dropped below £62,500 for even one day during the 6 months. The latest statement must be dated no more than 28 days before the date you submit the online application

Or if you cannot meet the cash savings, you will need to meet Category A:
- 6 full months of your husband's original payslips showing at least £1,550 before tax on each one. The latest must be dated no more than 28 days before the date you submit the online application
- 6 full months of your husband's original bank statements showing the deposit of every payslip. The latest must be dated no more than 28 days before the date you submit the online application
- a letter from your husband's employer, dated no more than 28 days before the date you submit the online application, stating ALL of the following:
i) employment and current salary
ii) length of employment
iii) length of time earning current salary
iv) type of employment
Optional but recommended:
- his original job contract
- his latest P60

You will also need:

Sponsor's Documents:
- a copy of his passport photo page
- a letter of support for the visa

Applicant's Documents:
- priority receipt
- return shipping label
- printed online application
- completed VAF4a Appendix 2 form
- receipt for IHS surcharge
- your US passport
- all previous US passports
- 1 passport photo of you

Definitely use your cash savings, if they qualify, it's by far the easiest way of meeting the financial requirements.
And if you can, then keep them intact for FLR also, then you have no worries at all regarding any unforeseen possibility of a job loss.
For ILR, the amount required is less, just £18,600+£16,000 = £34,600.

So, for those things, you will need:

Thanks for all of this info! It looks like going the route of just using my savings will be much easier. I will start collecting these documents right away. I do have a few more questions as well if you don't mind...

Whats is the specific order of the entire process?
Is it best to do the application online?
And what are these premium application centers? Is it better to have them help with the application?

Thank you in advance!

Also, is there any example for the "letter of support" that my sponsor/husband must provide? What exactly does this have to state?

Definitely use your cash savings, if they qualify, it's by far the easiest way of meeting the financial requirements.
And if you can, then keep them intact for FLR also, then you have no worries at all regarding any unforeseen possibility of a job loss.
For ILR, the amount required is less, just £18,600+£16,000 = £34,600.

Thanks for this! Is the FLR the extension that I have to apply for after 2 1/2 years?

Thanks for all of this info! It looks like going the route of just using my savings will be much easier. I will start collecting these documents right away. I do have a few more questions as well if you don't mind...

Whats is the specific order of the entire process?
Is it best to do the application online?
And what are these premium application centers? Is it better to have them help with the application?

Thank you in advance!

You must do your application online, print and include in your package. There is also a paper Appendix 2 form which you need to print and fill out by hand.

A rough order-
Research the requirements, and gather your supporting documents.
The following contains the details of the financial requirements.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/636618/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement_Final.pdf

And this contains the information on formatting of the evidence.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

Once you have all of your supporting evidence in your hands, you can submit the online application, as part of the process you will book your biometrics appointment and pay your IHS.
Print the form, fill out appendix 2 and add them to your documents.
Pay for shipping and priority, Ksand provided the link already.
Attend your biometrics appointment, to which you take your passport and the letter with the barcode which you will receive electronically. They will stamp the letter at your appointment. Add this to your package.
Place the priority receipt on the very top of your package, mark the outside in bold on all sides, settlement priority processing and take it to a UPS store to mail to Sheffield.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/usa-apply-for-a-uk-visa/apply-for-a-uk-visa-in-the-usa

Avoid the gold settlement service which refers you to the application support centre, a couple of our members had disastrous experiences using that method, received no help and their applications took longer to process!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:10:00 AM by larrabee »

Also, is there any example for the "letter of support" that my sponsor/husband must provide? What exactly does this have to state?

The letter should contain the following information.

1-How he is eligible to sponsor you (British citizen)
2-How you meet the financial requirements.
3-Details of your accommodation in the UK,
4-A brief history of your relationship and why you are choosing to live in the UK rather than the US.

Keep it concise.

Thanks for this! Is the FLR the extension that I have to apply for after 2 1/2 years?

Yes. Then you will apply for ILR from 28 days before the 5 year anniversary of your arrival in the UK.

Thank you so much, larrabee!! This is all so helpful and feels less daunting for sure.

Another couple of questions...
Should every document be an original?
With bank statements, is it okay to print them out from my online banking website? I haven't received an actual paper statement in the mail in years.  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions as I go along but at least I feel like I am heading in the right direction now. What a process!   8)

• Liked: 1327
Thank you so much, larrabee!! This is all so helpful and feels less daunting for sure.

Another couple of questions...
Should every document be an original?
With bank statements, is it okay to print them out from my online banking website? I haven't received an actual paper statement in the mail in years.  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions as I go along but at least I feel like I am heading in the right direction now. What a process!   8)

The bank statements can be printed out from your online banking IF you then take them in branch and have every page stamped and signed to authenticate them.  Since you have to take them in branch anyway, it's probably easier to just have them print them off for you.

Also, be sure once you get here to turn off "paperless" for everything and get your name added to the utilities.  You're going to need that original correspondence for your future applications (FLR(M) and ILR).
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

The bank statements can be printed out from your online banking IF you then take them in branch and have every page stamped and signed to authenticate them.  Since you have to take them in branch anyway, it's probably easier to just have them print them off for you.

Also, be sure once you get here to turn off "paperless" for everything and get your name added to the utilities.  You're going to need that original correspondence for your future applications (FLR(M) and ILR).

Ahh, okay... Thank you for this. Yeah, I'll just go into my branch then. And very good to know about the utilities.

You guys are lifesavers here!!  :)

Sponsored Links