Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Citizen in the UK on Student Visa.Marrying and changing to spousal visa.Help?  (Read 357 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello. I'm a US citizen currently in the UK on a student visa. Since arriving, I've become engaged to my lovely English gentleman. We're getting married on September 17 this year in the US. My student visa doesn't expire until January 2007, but it's my understanding that I have to be in the US when I apply for the spousal visa. So we plan to get the spousal visa the week after the wedding (that is if the court magistrate marrying us can hurry up the process of getting us a marriage certificate - he said it's possible) and then returning to the UK together on September 22. He's also a student and has an income of less than £100 a month. I'll have savings in the UK but won't have worked for a few weeks by the time we marry. My course ends in October this year. We plan to have letters and bank statements from his mum and my parents and we'll have copies of our bank statements and the lease for the flat we share.

I hope I explained the situation clearly enough. Does anyone know if it matters that I'll have two valid visas at the same time? Does anyone know if I can actually return as a student and do something by mail to get my spousal visa before my student visa ends? (seems unlikely but doesn't hurt to ask).

If anyone has any general advice or forsees anything tricky about my situation, please share.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
You won't have two visas.  As soon as the spousal visa is issued the student visa is cancelled.

It is far, far easier to do everything from the US.  You would be unlikely to be permitted to switch from within the UK if there is less than 6 months left on your student visa anyway.

Victoria

• Liked: 0
Thanks. That makes sense.

Sponsored Links