Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: GOOD In Laws  (Read 726 times)

• Liked: 248
GOOD In Laws
« on: June 22, 2018, 03:34:22 PM »
Anyone got any GOOD in law stories?

I had an Arab boss who had married a girl from Hull.  Now there is an interesting mix of cultures!  He was from Saudi and studying in the UK.

Wistfully he told me that his mother in law was absolutely wonderful.  During Wimbledon he would sit in an armchair in front of the TV watching the tennis, and she would bring him a big bowl of English strawberries. 

That particular MIL had a lot to accept, including her daughter's change of religion and going to live in the Middle East.

• Liked: 1327
Re: GOOD In Laws
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 05:19:20 PM »
My husband just missed out having an awesome father in law by a couple of weeks.  My husband regrets that they didn't get a chance to meet before my dad passed away, but my husband can accurately describe my dad because my husband is convinced I'm just like him.  My husband's mother in law (my mom), on the other hand...  ::)

But I have a great FIL!  He's on the engineering spectrum (apologies to the engineers in the crowd, but you know how you all are!), but other than that, he's great!  And I find his engineery quirks mostly amusing, too.  Anyway, he's awesome because he is the reason I met my husband... I have known my FIL since the end of 2001, but I didn't meet my husband until 2011 (online) to 2012 (in person).  I thought it would be awkward to go from being friends to being FIL/DIL, but it isn't... except when the person I knew for ten years as "Chris" signs Christmas cards as "Dad".  That is something I still haven't quite adjusted to.  :P
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 425
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 05:44:25 PM »
My wife’s parents are truly wonderful! The first time I came here to see her, I had never met them (and we were going to be staying with them for 3 months!). My FIL greeted me at the door and I was soooo apprehensive about meeting them at all. Her mother was cordial, but I knew she was concerned about her daughter’s life and happiness so she wasn’t going to be too friendly so quickly. He warmed up to me almost immediately, he knew I loved his daughter more than life itself. It took several months before my MIL knew the same and was confident of it.
The first thing I did when I wanted to propose....before second visit, was to ask for her parent’s permission and blessings....which they gave. Then together with my in-laws we plotted the proposal. My then fiancé had just moved into a new flat and knew that I was coming over for a visit. What she didn’t know was that I was arriving days ahead of time, her parents picked me up and took me to their home to rest up. Then they drove me 2 hours back to Inverness and we went shopping. Fast forward to 6:00 that evening...my MIL sent my fiancé a text saying there was a housewarming gift at home for her. Me, of course....as well as roses, champagne, fairy lights....and a ring. I love my mother and father in law to death! A few pics from the surprise....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 05:53:47 PM »
My in-laws are pretty great. My husband and I had to live with them for a year after I moved here, and they were always careful to give us our space and to make sure that we didn't have too much conflict. They've helped us out a lot financially over the past 10 years, and now they're helping us buy a house. They've always been welcoming and accommodating with me, doing things like trying to have Thanksgiving at their house, and letting me make American food on the 4th of July. They get along with my family and my MIL and my aunt actually email each other regularly. My FIL got on a plane for the first time in his life, after 65 years of completely refusing to fly, so that he could go to the US and visit my family.

You hear so many jaw-droopingly awful in-law stories, I feel like I really lucked out with mine.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 46
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 01:44:12 AM »
My in laws are pretty awesome! When I visited last summer and got to finally meet them, they were wonderful. They made me feel right at home and insisted I have a drink or two with them. My last day there they threw a barbecue for me, and we all had a great time together. My husband and I weren’t engaged yet, but I think they could easily see where it was going and immediately treated me like family.

As long as my husband and I have been together they have sent me sweet cards and gifts for holidays and my birthday.

Oh, and funny story about my father in law - he called me Mick for awhile and none of us could figure out where he got that from. He’s a goofball, so my husband and I just chalked it up to his silly personality. Finally, it comes out that the reason he called me Mick was because he misunderstood and thought I was named MiKayla. Nope, not quite.  ;D
Married - 15th April 2018
Spouse visa approved - 16th July 2018
Arrived in the UK - 8th August 2018
FLR approved - 13th April 2021
Little one’s arrival - 18th March 2022
ILR approved - 27th Jan 2024

• Liked: 116
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »
My in laws are divorced so I have 2 sets. My mil is closer so we are her more, and we have a lot of similar interests including mildly poking fun at my husband. Her family is huge but friendly.

My fil and step mil are also really cool. We just had a great weekend with them at his mother's house with my bil and his family. 4 generations all together playing croquet and drinking gin. It was a ton of fun.

All of them are really welcoming to me which has made leaving my family behind a lot better. I truly feel like part of the family.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

Sponsored Links