Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Windows XP Home v. Professional for students  (Read 1360 times)

• Why a duck?
  • Liked: 0
Windows XP Home v. Professional for students
« on: June 08, 2005, 07:05:40 PM »
Dell's site recommends upgrading to Professional for students who will be connecting to uni systems via laptop.  I think (hope) I'll be attending Napier University.  Their web site says to have Windows XP (no mention of Home or Pro) among others.  Has anyone had any problems using the much cheaper Home version with a laptop?
When I find a funnier sig than twistedncynical's, it will be here.

• Liked: 1
Re: Windows XP Home v. Professional for students
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 08:38:24 PM »
i use home edition on my laptop and it's fine!!!!!

the only issue i've had is that i really needed powerpoint to put together a deck for an interview.  i paid the money for the powerpoint, did the presentation and took another job.  lol.

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 09:07:47 PM »
I had the basic one on this laptop and upgraded soon after!  I don't know why, I guess I felt I would need it one day!

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 09:53:46 PM »
I have XP home on my laptop and connect to my uni server all the time.  Never had any trouble.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Why a duck?
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 07:49:59 PM »
THank you very much!  This will have me a bundle.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 08:39:28 PM »
I think (hope) I'll be attending Napier University.  Their web site says to have Windows XP (no mention of Home or Pro) among others.  Has anyone had any problems using the much cheaper Home version with a laptop?

You should check with the University and see if they have a licensing agreement in place with Microsoft.  Many higher education institutions have such arrangements that allow students/faculty/staff to purchase Microsoft products at steeply discounted rates.  For example, at the University that I attended (University of Texas at Austin), and currently work at, I can purchase Windows XP Pro for $5.00, MS Office Suite for around $12, and so on.

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 08:04:08 PM »
Q.  Why is it called XP?

A.  It stands for eXtra Problems.    :(

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 05:47:53 AM »
As a person in the IT field I'll clear up why Dell "recommends" the Professional version over the Home Edition for students... most universities have what are called "domains" or active directories which allow the student to login to the network via a Windows Server.  This "feature" is only available on Professional versions.  However, most universities do not require a domain authentication from personal computers to gain access to basic network resources such as storage and internet connectivity.  Also, Dell recommends the Professional version over Home Edition because Dell has a contract with Microsoft where they are forced to only distribute Windows as opposed to competitors, and to recommend people fork over more money for a "better" license.

• Why a duck?
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 03:42:43 AM »
I knew I could count on y'all for the best and most comprehensive advice!  I think I'll go with an Apple laptop.  I'm staying up to bid on a G4 titanium.  So far, it's under $800!

And this week, the school is Queen Margaret University College for an MBA.  Napier's course wouldn't qualify me for the Fresh Talent program.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab