Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The weirdest question on your Life in the UK test  (Read 1444 times)

• See my Welcome Wagon post to learn more about me..
  • Liked: 0
The weirdest question on your Life in the UK test
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:43:12 PM »
Was there anything on there that completely floored you, either with its easiness, its difficulty, or its just plain off-the-wall-ness?
"The stars don't shine upon us / We're in the way of their light"

- Silver Jews

• Liked: 2
Re: The weirdest question on your Life in the UK test
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 09:48:18 PM »
Aren't you a British citzen? Why are you worrying about the Life in the UK test?!

• See my Welcome Wagon post to learn more about me..
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:49:50 PM »
Oh, my wife'll have to take it I imagine. Plus it's just interesting to know the kinds of thigns they ask -- I imagine a pretty hefty number of born-and-raised-in-the-UK people wouldn't score too well on it.

(As always, feel free not to post if you don't want to.)
"The stars don't shine upon us / We're in the way of their light"

- Silver Jews

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 09:57:07 PM »
Well I've never had to take it so can't comment. But if your wife is lucky it'll be abolished before she's eligible for citzenship.  ;)  I think there are already a few threads about the type of questions involved.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »
Everything you need to know:

http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/

Sample test:

http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/citqs/

Britwife, you have to get it before ILR now - which is before the citizenship process.

ETA:  If you study the book, and you can speak English as your first language, you should have no problem with the test.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:05:10 PM by Mrs Robinson »
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 10:04:35 PM »
Britwife, you have to get it before ILR now - which is before the citizenship process.

aaah I see! I didn't know that. Thank you.

• My Sweetie and Me
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 10:15:20 PM »
I took the test and I passed the test on the first go and yes half of the questions are common sense but the other half OMG the statistics you have to know is beyond belief. Race Statistics, Religion Statistics, Population they are just ridiculous. In my opinion the questions should solely be about what you need to know to live here in the UK not how many people did what and where in 2001. The question are based on 2001 Census. Then the stuff you need to know is there too but I was burnt out on statistics and quangos is still stuck in my head 3 months later. I know more about the government here then most Brits do.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 10:50:19 PM »
One I remember is 'Who appoints judges?'

A: The Lord Chancellor

Seems like a waste of time, as I've forgotten most of the questions since I've taken it.

This site has loads of practice tests that are pretty similar to the test if you're curious: http://www.hiren.info/life-in-the-uk-test/1

Love your quote btw, Dave Berman's the man.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 08:46:20 AM »
Ask a friend or family member to send you the books from the UK, my parents did and it has been helpful to know that DH can study during down time at work before arriving in the UK.

We have a study book that has a CD ROM in it so my DH can take trial tests.

It is a heck of lot of info to take in and yes you are right.........a lot of UK Citizens would fail the test just like lots of US Citizens would fail the US Citizenship Test.  All my neighbors were shocked at how much I had to learn here in the US but after looking at the UK test and taking some trial run tests on the computer I think the US test is way easier.  BTW I think my neighbors were mortified that they didn't know over 50% of the answers in my US Citizenship test, I was embarrassed for them. Every American should have known all the answers it was pretty basic stuff.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 10:42:24 AM »
Was there anything on there that completely floored you, either with its easiness, its difficulty, or its just plain off-the-wall-ness?

The most off-the-wall question to my mind is when women got the right to vote.  In the grand scheme of things it is dwarfed by the cultural breakthrough that gave MEN the right to vote and ended the feudal system. 

But political correctness invariably leads to an asymmetric focus on things, so people have to know when women got the right to vote.

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 12:10:22 PM »
What does a U certificate mean at the movies?   ::)

The actual test took four minutes for me to take and I reviewed my answers.  It took over 45 minutes to get everyone set up to take the test.   :P

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 01:10:55 PM »
The most off-the-wall question to my mind is when women got the right to vote.  In the grand scheme of things it is dwarfed by the cultural breakthrough that gave MEN the right to vote and ended the feudal system. 

But political correctness invariably leads to an asymmetric focus on things, so people have to know when women got the right to vote.

So..on a test that asks you to remember what exact percentage of Hindus there is in London or what exact number of Jews in England, you think being asked to remember what year women got the right to vote is the most off-the-wall thing on the test? I understanding wanting to take a swipe at "political correctness" but perspective goes both ways.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 01:38:55 PM »
Shocking! It took two and a half hours for somebody to get back to garry over that observation. It's getting positively mellow around here :)

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 01:42:23 PM »
Shocking! It took two and a half hours for somebody to get back to garry over that observation. It's getting positively mellow around here :)
'Mellow' was not exactly the word that I was thinking... ???

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 02:03:46 PM »

I work nights. I'm sorry I deferred your amusement though.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

Sponsored Links