Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Traveling on fiance visa + carrying fiance's passport??  (Read 480 times)

• Liked: 0
Traveling on fiance visa + carrying fiance's passport??
« on: April 30, 2009, 11:31:40 PM »
I can't seem to find this info, though I feel like this must be a no brainer. Am I allowed to travel on my visa? For example, once I enter the UK say we want to go to Italy for our honeymoon. Can I leave to Italy and then re-enter the UK on my fiance visa?

Also,  I have my fiance's passport (because he mailed it to me for my application) and he thinks I might get in trouble coming through customs if I have it in my purse. He wants me to pack it in my luggage, but I really would rather keep it on me because I think it is safer. It should be okay if my purse is searched and they find his passport right?

last but not least (maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but just throwin' it out there) I understand that I am allowed to use the NHS on my fiance visa. I'm a bit unwell (double ear infection) and I might need to see a dr when I get there. Is there anything I need to do, for example register for a NIN (or something??) before I can be seen? My fiance wanted to get it all started for me before I come in 5 days in case my ears are still not doing well.

Thanks!!! <3

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
Re: Traveling on fiance visa + carrying fiance's passport??
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:36:01 PM »
I can't believe there would be a problem with you having his passport, since you have a valid reason for having it (applying for the visa that you'd be showing them). I wouldn't put it in your checked baggage just because I never put anything valuable in checked bags.  If he's really that concerned, what about mailing it back to him (registered/insured/whatever) before you leave? 

Also, I know once you get married you must apply for the spousal immediately and you can't re-enter on the fiance visa after you're married, but you can do a same-day spousal visa for £200 extra in person instead of waiting however long the wait is by mail if you are planning a honeymoon outside of the UK.
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 11:39:39 PM »
You can travel on your fiance visa as long as you are a fiance.  Once you are married you become a spouse, and your fiance visa isn't valid for reentry anymore.  If you can afford an in-person FLR(M) application, you can schedule that for right after your wedding, then you may need to wait a week or so to get your ID card before you can travel.  If you want to do the FLR(M) by post, you'll have to postpone your honeymoon or else go somewhere in the UK.  

In order to use the NHS, you will need to register with your local GP.  It shouldn't be a difficult process, you just fill out a form with your name and address and answer some questions about your medical history.  They will enter you into their system and give you your NHS number.  If the GP tells you that you cannot register right away or anything along those lines DO NOT BELIEVE IT!  You are eligible for NHS as soon as you arrive, and can begin to use it immediately.  My GP was even nice enough to let me have an appointment the day after I registered, even though their computers were down, so I wasn't officially in the system.  I'd also recommend not going to the GP alone.  My MIL came with me when I registered, and I think things might have gone more smoothly because she knew the people there.  

As for the passport, if it were me, I'd keep it in a safe place alongside my own passport.  There's too much risk of checked bags being lost, IMO, to put it there.  If they question you about it, tell them the truth, and have your fiance's phone number on hand in case they want to call him to ask about it.  
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 11:41:37 PM »
do you really have to apply for the spousal visa right away??? oh man, where have I been, haha! I guess I've been so caught up in this visa I haven't even bothered doing my research for the next one! We figured we'd be so broke after our wedding on June 27 (only 2 months into my visa) that we'd probably have to wait another month or two before we could afford to apply for my spouse visa. ugh!

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 11:58:14 PM »
No, no, you don't have to apply for the FLR(M) (technically not a spouse visa, since you are applying from within the UK) right away.  You are fine until your fiance visa expires, as long as you stay in the country.  Once you leave the UK as a spouse, your Leave to Enter as a fiance becomes invalid, that's all.  Waiting two months after your wedding before applying is completely fine, but you'll have to take your honeymoon in the UK, or else postpone it until you have FLR.   
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 11:53:55 AM »
And there have been specific cases of people, on this board even, of leaving the UK on their fiancé(e) visa after they are married and trying to come back in.  That is why we recommend that people don't even try it.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 12:12:03 PM »
The down side of not applying right away is that you can't work of course. 

Also, if you apply by mail and not in person it can take a while.  I am not sure if we have had anyone recently receive this visa, but it can take anywhere from a few days to a weeks to process depending on how busy they are.   

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 12:16:02 PM »
And there have been specific cases of people, on this board even, of leaving the UK on their fiancé(e) visa after they are married and trying to come back in.  That is why we recommend that people don't even try it.

And in some instances by doing this they have managed to successfully re-enter only to have their FLR(M) spousal visa application refused....so best to start the spousal application process as early as possible if you intend to do it by post since we currently have some people on the board who have been waiting 16+ weeks from the time they sent in thier app...The only way to get it done quicky is to do it in person if your application can be deemed 'straight-forward'.

• God only knows what i'd be without you
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 12:19:40 PM »
You can travel on your fiance visa as long as you are a fiance.  Once you are married you become a spouse, and your fiance visa isn't valid for reentry anymore.  If you can afford an in-person FLR(M) application, you can schedule that for right after your wedding, then you may need to wait a week or so to get your ID card before you can travel.  If you want to do the FLR(M) by post, you'll have to postpone your honeymoon or else go somewhere in the UK.  

In order to use the NHS, you will need to register with your local GP.  It shouldn't be a difficult process, you just fill out a form with your name and address and answer some questions about your medical history.  They will enter you into their system and give you your NHS number.  If the GP tells you that you cannot register right away or anything along those lines DO NOT BELIEVE IT!  You are eligible for NHS as soon as you arrive, and can begin to use it immediately.  My GP was even nice enough to let me have an appointment the day after I registered, even though their computers were down, so I wasn't officially in the system.  I'd also recommend not going to the GP alone.  My MIL came with me when I registered, and I think things might have gone more smoothly because she knew the people there.  

As for the passport, if it were me, I'd keep it in a safe place alongside my own passport.  There's too much risk of checked bags being lost, IMO, to put it there.  If they question you about it, tell them the truth, and have your fiance's phone number on hand in case they want to call him to ask about it.  

YEAH, lol you should ask Amy about her time in the GP's office the other day. They tried to deny her NHS and it was a showdown. It's made me so scared to go register.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 12:31:32 PM »
YEAH, lol you should ask Amy about her time in the GP's office the other day. They tried to deny her NHS and it was a showdown. It's made me so scared to go register.

If anyone wants something to pre-empt this problem, print out the following page & take it with you when you register:
http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074376

It clearly states that if you're coming in to live permanently in the UK you are entitled to NHS services from the date you arrived in the UK.

• God only knows what i'd be without you
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 12:34:27 PM »
If anyone wants something to pre-empt this problem, print out the following page & take it with you when you register:
http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074376

It clearly states that if you're coming in to live permanently in the UK you are entitled to NHS services from the date you arrived in the UK.

Thanks Lady. I'll take that and my FMIL with me lol. Amy took stuff like this and called on the phone while at the GP's and still ran into a lot of trouble.

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 12:37:14 PM »
Thanks Lady. I'll take that and my FMIL with me lol. Amy took stuff like this and called on the phone while at the GP's and still ran into a lot of trouble.

It varies from office to office. When I registered at my GP's the office staff never asked for my passport or my visa and just signed me up. So your experience may vary widely from the two extremes.

• My Flickr page
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 01:24:22 PM »

Wow, thanks for that, WebyJ!  I'll definitely be printing that out.
"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?" ~Henry Ward Beecher

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 01:28:31 PM »
Wow, thanks for that, WebyJ!  I'll definitely be printing that out.

You're most welcome! :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab