Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Best way to deliver supporting documents for an EEA Family permit?  (Read 660 times)

• Oodles by Stephoodle
  • Liked: 0
Okay, I'm a bit worried about the time crunch I seem to be facing at the moment. I want to leave for the UK on September 1st at the latest if at all possible (which may or may not be realistic)... We're probably getting married here in San Diego on the 27th of July. We have to wait a week before we can get certified copies of the marriage license... So August 3rd?

I need to take a copy of that with me for my biometrics, yes?

And after that... It appears we have three options for delivering the documents... UPS, which sounds like it would take too long, even though it would get to the consulate the next day (people were saying in another thread that the application would get shuffled to the bottom of the pile and take two or three weeks to process if we went that route)... so then there's the other two:

1. Get a courier (which I heard cost around $150 somewhere else on the board, but that our application would probably be processed the day it arrived)... and I heard that it had to be a specific type of courier? I am well confused about all this.

2. Send my new husband up on a train to deliver it himself. Would this work? Or is this not allowed? Would this speed up the processing time like sending a courier would?

Even with the delays at the LA Consulate, it looks like EEA Family permits are still processing fairly quickly... But I still have my concerns. Trying not to be a stress-bucket though.
Oodles by Stephoodle:
Blog and Etsy Shop

Re: Best way to deliver supporting documents for an EEA Family permit?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 05:09:13 AM »
Okay, I'm a bit worried about the time crunch I seem to be facing at the moment. I want to leave for the UK on September 1st at the latest if at all possible (which may or may not be realistic)... We're probably getting married here in San Diego on the 27th of July. We have to wait a week before we can get certified copies of the marriage license... So August 3rd?

I need to take a copy of that with me for my biometrics, yes?

And after that... It appears we have three options for delivering the documents... UPS, which sounds like it would take too long, even though it would get to the consulate the next day (people were saying in another thread that the application would get shuffled to the bottom of the pile and take two or three weeks to process if we went that route)... so then there's the other two:

1. Get a courier (which I heard cost around $150 somewhere else on the board, but that our application would probably be processed the day it arrived)... and I heard that it had to be a specific type of courier? I am well confused about all this.

2. Send my new husband up on a train to deliver it himself. Would this work? Or is this not allowed? Would this speed up the processing time like sending a courier would?

Even with the delays at the LA Consulate, it looks like EEA Family permits are still processing fairly quickly... But I still have my concerns. Trying not to be a stress-bucket though.

For your biometrics, all you'll need is the confirmation paper you print off when you schedule the appointment, your passport and possibly a printed off version of the online application you completed. The impression I get is that they can be somewhat strict about what you bring in with you to your appointment, but you'll need to send everything off, including your marriage certificate within 14 days of the biometric appointment. The WorldBridge website mentions this in regards to biometrics:

Biometric Requirements

All applicants must bring the following documents to their appointment:

* Printed appointment confirmation
    * Valid travel documents

As for couriers, the prices vary depending on which company you use, and WorldBridge provides a list of approved couriers on their website (https://www.visainfoservices.com/Pages/Content.aspx?tag=Independent_visa_services--Los_Angeles_area for LA consulates, which I believe you'd be applying to). These couriers are approved to work with the consulates in getting the application back and forth--nothing more, nothing less.

And I don't believe you can deliver applications in person to LA, so you'll either have to use FedEx/UPS or a courier to get it there.
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

• Oodles by Stephoodle
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 05:17:41 AM »
I didn't think he could deliver it either. He just wants to help as much as he can, and feels a bit bad about the fact that most of the stuff needing to be done is on my end.

Now, another question... certified copy of the marriage license or marriage certificate? I'm a little confused there. They don't specify on the San Diego county website how long after the wedding it takes to get a certificate at all, just a certified copy of the license.
Oodles by Stephoodle:
Blog and Etsy Shop

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 05:19:38 AM »
You'll need to send off a certified copy of the certificate. I almost got married in SD County. When I called to ask how long it would take to get a certified copy of the certificate, they told me about two weeks. We couldn't wait that long, so we got married in Nevada, lol.

• Oodles by Stephoodle
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 05:28:22 AM »
As for couriers, the prices vary depending on which company you use, and WorldBridge provides a list of approved couriers on their website (https://www.visainfoservices.com/Pages/Content.aspx?tag=Independent_visa_services--Los_Angeles_area for LA consulates, which I believe you'd be applying to). These couriers are approved to work with the consulates in getting the application back and forth--nothing more, nothing less.

Chrome is telling me that the website's security certificate seems to have expired... is it safe to pull it up?

Also, stf111302: poo. SD is really our only option, financially. Might have to consider going for the Wednesday before then (July 22), though Michael will be jet lagged as all get out then.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 05:33:13 AM by stephoodle »
Oodles by Stephoodle:
Blog and Etsy Shop

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 05:34:43 AM »
I pulled it up without any problems, Firefox didn't say anything at me :) I've gone on it loads of times, it's the company that works in conjunction with the UKBA in terms of giving out information for visas and such so I think it's fairly safe.

• Oodles by Stephoodle
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 05:47:19 AM »
Thanks, just wanted to make sure.

Wow, there's a lot of them there. Looks like I have a lot of calling around to do. Would I have to get the documents to LA myself and then hand them over to the courier, or would they pick up in San Diego, you think?

Oodles by Stephoodle:
Blog and Etsy Shop

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 05:55:23 AM »
Thanks, just wanted to make sure.

Wow, there's a lot of them there. Looks like I have a lot of calling around to do. Would I have to get the documents to LA myself and then hand them over to the courier, or would they pick up in San Diego, you think?

I believe that you could use FedEx or UPS to get the documents to the actual courier and then they would handle everything from there--I'm not sure if they'd do any traveling, you'd have to ask a specific one if you plan on phoning them up.

• Oodles by Stephoodle
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 05:59:29 AM »
Oh! Mailing would be fine with me, and it would get there next day. I thought I had to hand it to them in person! :)

One last question, and I'm done, I swear: During the application process online, does it tell you how to arrange your documents or tell you to put some sort of cover letter or copy of the application in with everything?

I just keep feeling like I'm fumbling in the dark about all this, haha.
Oodles by Stephoodle:
Blog and Etsy Shop

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 06:03:27 AM »
I just did this about 3 weeks ago and I don't recall it telling me how to arrange all the documents. It just told me to include the printed copy of the application, the stamped biometrics confirmation, and my supporting documentation. I do recommend a cover letter. Mine just basically itemized the contents and explained a few things I felt needed explaining. I actually used a binder with dividers, but I know that isn't actually necessary.

• Oodles by Stephoodle
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 06:11:27 AM »
Okay, I might do that. The binder thing. If only to make myself feel better. ;)

Thanks!
Oodles by Stephoodle:
Blog and Etsy Shop

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 08:58:12 AM »
stephoodle, can I ask, what is your nationality? And in what way are you exercising EU Treaty Rights in the UK? Employed? Self-employed? Or what?
John

• Oodles by Stephoodle
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 02:31:45 PM »
I'm an American marrying an Irish citizen who's been living in the UK for well over 5 years.
Oodles by Stephoodle:
Blog and Etsy Shop

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 05:37:04 PM »
Given that your partner is Irish, and in view of the special arrangements between the Republic of Ireland and the UK, you do actually have a choice here.

That is you could either :-

• apply for an EEA Family Permit, or
  • apply for a spouse visa under UK immigration legislation
There are advantages, and disadvantages. Firstly ... cost! The EEA Family Permit would be free, but the spouse visa would need to be paid for. However, secondly, if going the EEAFP route it would be 6 years before you might apply for British Citizenship, whereas going the spouse visa route, you might be able to apply for British Citizenship after only 3 years.

As they say ... you pays your money and takes your choice!

Again, in what way is your partner exercising EU Treaty Rights in the UK? Employed? Self-employed? Or how?
John

• Oodles by Stephoodle
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 08:09:04 PM »
He's employed; a primary school teacher.

We need to go the EEA route as there's no way we could afford the spousal visa at the moment (we have enough money for everything else, just not that!), and the citizenship thing isn't so much a big deal at the moment, as we haven't decided whether we want to settle permanently in the UK or the US.

We want to live in the UK for a few years, then try out the US for a while (hopefully the economy will pick up before then), and then see where we are.
Oodles by Stephoodle:
Blog and Etsy Shop

Sponsored Links