Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello everyone!!  (Read 1449 times)

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
Hello everyone!!
« on: June 03, 2004, 02:18:56 PM »
I've been living in England for 20 months and I'm very glad to have found this forum. I came over on a work permit and have been teaching for some time, but I recently married a Norfolk lad and have the glorious spouse visa which allows me to seek employment elsewhere! I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys.

• Liked: 1
Re: Hello everyone!!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 02:28:15 PM »
Hi Carla and welcome!! I am from Norfolk...well sort of..mostly Norfolk, VA.   ;D We have quite a few teachers and former teachers on here.  The more the merrier I say.

Well I look forward to learning more about you!

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 03:36:36 PM »
Hi Carla...and welcome to the forum.  I'm coming to the UK (London) to work as a teacher...how has your experience been?  Is it at an American School?

• Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 03:46:14 PM »
Hi there!  Welcome to the group!   ;D

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 04:22:06 PM »
Hi, Welcome!

• Dharma in the Dishes
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 04:39:11 PM »
Hi to all, thanks for the quick feedback. I'll tell you a little more about myself, if you're curious.

I come from northeast Arkansas. I've been an Anglophile all my life, majored in English lit and became a high school English teacher, rapsodising to roomfuls of bored redneck teens about the glories of Tintern Abbey and the view from Westminster Bridge.

After 13 years of teaching and 15 years married to a pick-up truck driving good ole boy, I lost 180 pounds (ie, the good ole boy) and discovered that I have a right to a life.  A year later, I shocked myself and all my friends by accepting a job teaching English at a high school in Essex. I got a work permit, a $3000 cashiers check,  packed all my worldly goods in two suitcases and a carry-on and became a lodger in the home a young couple I met online, the plan being to stay with them until I could find a suitable flat. Well, they were lovely but the school was not. Even with thirteen years experience, I could not hack a London school and resigned after five days. I figured what the heck, I'd done so much already why should I be scared? Six weeks later I finally found a job I was willing to accept (okay, I'm picky) here in the Midlands.

By that time I was down to £135 cash and had pretty much maxed out my credit cards.

More later! :)

• Banned

• Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 05:15:50 PM »
I shocked myself and all my friends by accepting a job teaching English at a high school in Essex. The school was not {lovely}. Even with thirteen years experience {teaching}, I could not hack a London school and resigned after five days.

I've heard this story time and time again. What is it with London school kids? Could they possibly be that bad?

• Dharma in the Dishes
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 05:31:29 PM »
Well, Scoobie--in a word, yes. If somebody out there wants to teach them, that's fine, but it won't be me!

I've been teaching in a small midlands town for 18 months, and the kids are lovely, by the way.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 05:32:48 PM »
Welcome Carla! I admire your spirit...I think we're going to enjoy having you around here!  ;D

As for London teaching - I've also heard it's very hard, but then again, I think a lot of big city/immediate suburb teaching can be. I've known a few NYC and Baltimore city teachers to seriously rethink their sanity!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 05:33:12 PM »
I come from northeast Arkansas. I've been an Anglophile all my life, majored in English lit and became a high school English teacher, rapsodising to roomfuls of bored redneck teens about the glories of Tintern Abbey and the view from Westminster Bridge.

Wow!  Change "northeast Arkansas" to "western North Carolina" and you've got my life story!   ;D

• Dharma in the Dishes
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2004, 06:02:24 PM »
To finish my saga, I moved from London to Warwickshire, bringing with me an unsuspecting Brit I'd picked up along the way. That was November 2002. We just got married 13 April 2004. :)

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2004, 06:35:13 PM »
That's awesome - congrats on finding what you wanted over in the UK.  I'll be at the American School of London, which is basically the same as the private school I'm working in now...but located in London.  Shouldn't be as big a change as you had to go through.  But what guts you had! 

• Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2004, 06:49:45 PM »
welcome Carla! wonderful to hear you now have a job you like and a new hubby, look forward to seeing more of your posts

Liz

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2004, 02:52:14 AM »
Welcome Carla!!!!!  :-*
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

• Dharma in the Dishes
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2004, 08:06:54 AM »
onetiger, i visited the American School in London website and it looked lovely soI submitted my application for them to keep on file! LOL

Sponsored Links