Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dog flying in the plane with us  (Read 1795 times)

• Liked: 8
Dog flying in the plane with us
« on: April 15, 2014, 03:55:55 PM »
Hello
I would like to ask if anyone has experience with this matter. My dog will be flying in the plane with us (he's my daughter's service dog) and I'm just gathering paperwork needed now.
 He is microchipped and getting rabies done next week. I'm unsure of the current processes but looking at everything and feeling a bit overwhelmed.

The vet is a USDA certified vet but I was unaware of blood work needing to be sent off as we would like to travel in May back to the UK.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thank you
Apr 2010 First visit to the UK
Oct 2010 We were married
May 05 2014 Received 1st FLR (M)
May 27, 2014 Landed in the UK
July 25,2014 Started Working
January 2nd FLR M
November 28, 2019 ILR

• Liked: 2
Re: Dog flying in the plane with us
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 02:39:14 AM »
Hello
I would like to ask if anyone has experience with this matter. My dog will be flying in the plane with us (he's my daughter's service dog) and I'm just gathering paperwork needed now.
 He is microchipped and getting rabies done next week. I'm unsure of the current processes but looking at everything and feeling a bit overwhelmed.

The vet is a USDA certified vet but I was unaware of blood work needing to be sent off as we would like to travel in May back to the UK.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thank you

That is because you do not need blood work to be done!
Read this link that I found for you http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/animal_united_kingdom.shtml
 it explains the requirements needed for animals to go into the UK, also has the links for the forms you need, Annex II and Health Certificate and instructions on how to complete the forms for you and your vet.

As far as service/assistance dogs traveling to the UK, I did another quick google search and also found this that might help you https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-travelling-with-assistance-dogs looks like you still have to comply with all the regulations to bring your dog into the UK even though it is a service dog.
I would guess you should contact whatever airline you are flying and be guided by their own regulations too.
Also take a look at the post's on this same thread that you posted on, there is lots and lots of info on traveling with pets and the forms, etc..... this process can be very confusing and you need to be sure that you yourself know exactly what paperwork you need and how it is to be properly completed, do not rely on your vet to know the reg's, chances are unless they do international paperwork for pets all the time, your vet will not be up to date on what exactly is required and in the end, it really is up to you to make sure it is all completed properly  :)

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 05:36:39 AM »
Thank you so very much Stephanie!!!
I went through posts but couldn't find what I was looking for.
The information you provided was just what I needed :)
Oct 2010 We were married
January 2nd FLR M
November 28, 2019 ILR

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 02:09:00 AM »
If you have any questions just call DEFRA in the UK, they are very friendly and will take the time to answer your questions.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 02:31:59 AM »
I think I will call on Tuesday! Thank you fruitgum :)
Oct 2010 We were married
January 2nd FLR M
November 28, 2019 ILR

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 09:01:04 AM »
We did this 2 years ago with our service dog. I spoke several times with the Animal Reception folks at Heathrow beforehand and they were very helpful, but very busy, far more helpful than DEFRA and open 24 hrs. Make sure all the DEFRA papers are correct, we fax/e-mail copies this to Animal Reception and they e-mailed back a pre-approval letter for flying. Make sure you have this. The airline may need the pre-approval from animal reception. We also bought an extra seat so we would have the whole row. Animal Reception folks were there at the gate when we arrived, checked the paperwork/id chip and we were good to go. WE made sure our dog peed at Newark (helpful they have an area there). Oh yeah we flew with United/Continental as it was then.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:06:09 AM by getback »

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 02:42:38 PM »
Thank you for this info Getback,
I rang Manchester International yesterday and they advised us to send an email to petsonjets. They said they will email back with all of the information.
So far I've managed to see we have our dog
1. Microchipped
2. Rabies vaccination (21 days before we fly)
3. International Health Certificate
4. Tapeworm treatment (1-5 days before we fly)
5. Letter from my daughter's therapists
6. Our dogs service vest and I.D.
Can you think of anything I'm missing?
Oct 2010 We were married
January 2nd FLR M
November 28, 2019 ILR

Sponsored Links