Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pro & Con between life in UK & US  (Read 55296 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: Pro & Con between life in UK & US
« Reply #375 on: February 01, 2011, 09:16:17 AM »
The only pros about the US for me are:
Free drink refills, really over-the-top holidays (like Halloween is totally rad), cheaper cost of living, bigger freezers/washers/dryers and Mexican food, malls, and stores with later opening hours.

I think it's really just going to depend on what you grew up with and what you look at as being familiar and homey.

And Subway... and Pizza Hut :).

I feel cheated our local Subway doesnt have free refills on drinks. :o  :P  >:(  ::)

• Liked: 19
« Reply #376 on: February 01, 2011, 09:30:32 AM »
But most squash is mostly sugar.  If you drink the lemon or orange stuff you might as well drink lemonade or orangeade or Kool-aid.   

That's one thing I'll really miss about the U.S.: the variety of sugar-free drinks.

I don't drink things with sugar in if I can possibly avoid it.  And usually I'll just have coke zero or tea.  But sometimes a person gets tired of the same thing over and over, and I'll miss having all kinds of things like sugar-free kool aid or Crystal Light available.

Even the No-Sugar-Added squash isn't a great solution, because it still has more calories than something that's sugar-free, and some of them are at least partially sweetened with saccharine.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #377 on: February 01, 2011, 11:41:39 AM »
I am amazed I don't float back to the UK after all the iced tea I drink when I am home.  ;)

• Liked: 19
« Reply #378 on: February 01, 2011, 12:38:46 PM »
No kidding!   I drink iced tea by the gallon.  (not Sweet Tea, though!)

I'm not sure what my MIL is going to think of there being big jars of sun tea.  Come to think of it, I'm not sure if Scotland has enough sun. :)

• Liked: 163
« Reply #379 on: February 01, 2011, 02:07:33 PM »
I'm not sure what my MIL is going to think of there being big jars of sun tea.  Come to think of it, I'm not sure if Scotland has enough sun. :)

Haha!  England does in the summer, but in the winter it's rough.  As soon as I see the sun come out I grab a jar and get to work.   :)

« Reply #380 on: February 05, 2011, 01:09:35 AM »
Oh, yes... I know it's all sugar. I'm diabetic, so I've been learning these things, haha. (Do the nutrition labels drive anyone else nuts here?! I have the WORST time figuring out portion sizes/carb counts... too much math, haha.)

IDK, I don't think the concentrate is the same... maybe some is, though? I think you're right about the fridge/freezer thing. With concentrate, you usually have to make a whole pitcher where as squash is per glass.

We have frozen concentrate in the states and they don't have it here.  Maybe because fridges and freezers are smaller so it is easier to have squash that doesn't need to be refrigerated?

Also, the US has more powdered drink mix. 

But most squash is mostly sugar.  If you drink the lemon or orange stuff you might as well drink lemonade or orangeade or Kool-aid.   

« Reply #381 on: February 05, 2011, 01:12:51 AM »
I brought a bunch of cold brew tea bags with me from the States. It's not the same as with an iced-tea maker or sun tea (yummy) but it does satisfy the craving! And, if you take the tea bags out of the box and tuck them here and there in your luggage, it doesn't take up any room at all.

I am amazed I don't float back to the UK after all the iced tea I drink when I am home.  ;)

Sponsored Links