Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Chip and Pin Rule going into effect on February 14, 2006  (Read 3169 times)

Re: Chip and Pin Rule going into effect on February 14, 2006
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 07:43:37 PM »
I like it. I carry my husbands solo card on me which has a chip & pin, and use it quite often (obviously he knows I do this so its not fraudulent) Theres been a couple times where the shop doesn't accept pins & is signature only,and I have to sign his name usually (which he knows about). And occasionally I'll get the employee who wants to see some ID,then when I explain its my husbands card & he knows I use it, 2 out of 3 times they'll refuse the sale to me and put a refund back on the card. I'm not really complaining about that, I know its their job and etc. Now it'll be easier for me to make purchases instead of having to go to a cashpoint before I go to the shop.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 08:00:34 PM »
I have US credit cards with PIN numbers that I use to get money from cash machines. When I use them to buy stuff in a shop, the cashier doesn't tell me to use the chip-and-pin machine; instead the cashier always prints out a slip for me to sign. But  when I use my UK debit card in a shop, I'm always asked put the card in the  chip-and-pin machine and type in the PIN number.

So is the PIN from a US credit card different than the PIN from a British card, and do the US credit card PINs not work in the chip-and-pin machines?

By the way, there have been complaints that the rule is going to make it difficult for the elderly and disabled.

Yeah it's different - our US credit cards don't have the chip.  That's why you put the card in the machine, so it can read the chip.  Our US cards don't have the chip to be able to verify the PIN, so there's no point in putting it in the machine.  As everyone's said, they should still print out the slip to sign with any foreign cards.    The PINs aren't necessarily different - you use the same PIN to take out cash at an ATM that you would in a shop, but unless the card has a chip, you can't use a PIN in a shop over here.

One thing I was wondering, why can't they use the PIN in conjunction with swiping the card - why is there the need for the chip?  We do that when we use debit cards in the US - they ask you to enter your PIN and the amount gets deducted from your available balance...

Slightly off topic note- my dad was responsible for the first POS transaction in the US!  (at least I think that's right) it was in the 70s in Chicago... ;D

• Liked: 2
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 08:06:40 PM »
I like it. I carry my husbands solo card on me which has a chip & pin, and use it quite often (obviously he knows I do this so its not fraudulent) Theres been a couple times where the shop doesn't accept pins & is signature only,and I have to sign his name usually (which he knows about). And occasionally I'll get the employee who wants to see some ID,then when I explain its my husbands card & he knows I use it, 2 out of 3 times they'll refuse the sale to me and put a refund back on the card. I'm not really complaining about that, I know its their job and etc. Now it'll be easier for me to make purchases instead of having to go to a cashpoint before I go to the shop.

Probably a moot point as of yesterday but wouldn't that still be illegal even if your husband agrees? You are still obtaining goods by deception - deceiving the retailer.

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 09:51:47 PM »
Probably a moot point as of yesterday but wouldn't that still be illegal even if your husband agrees? You are still obtaining goods by deception - deceiving the retailer.

I wouldn't think so,its my husbands money that pays for the goods. As long as he authorises me, there shouldn't be a problem.,thats my opinion anyway,,

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2006, 10:03:58 PM »
I wouldn't think so,its my husbands money that pays for the goods. As long as he authorises me, there shouldn't be a problem.,thats my opinion anyway,,

Yeah I think that's true as well.  I used to work in retail (many moons ago) and once I was reading the instructions for processing credit cards (this was even before they had the swipe machines to authorize them).  It said that a woman can use her husband's card - typically you would sign Mrs. Hisfirstname Hislast name.  This was before lots of women had their own cards, I would guess! 

EnglandsYank - how come you don't have your own card to that account?  Not trying to be hostile - I'm just guessing that's what most retailers would say - if your husband authorizes you to use it, then shouldn't you have your own? Does your husband not need one at the same time you have it?  I've used my husband's card in the same way - if I didn't have mine on me or something - and the PIN thing is a lot easier for that circumstance but usually he needs it back right away!

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2006, 11:05:56 PM »

EnglandsYank - how come you don't have your own card to that account?  Not trying to be hostile - I'm just guessing that's what most retailers would say - if your husband authorizes you to use it, then shouldn't you have your own? Does your husband not need one at the same time you have it?  I've used my husband's card in the same way - if I didn't have mine on me or something - and the PIN thing is a lot easier for that circumstance but usually he needs it back right away!

My husband can't add me onto his bank account because I haven't been a resident for 2 years  ::) ::) ::)
Nope he doesn't need it when I have it,...he's not aloud to hold it,lol Each time he has it in his possession,he loses it!

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2006, 07:16:05 AM »

My husband can't add me onto his bank account because I haven't been a resident for 2 years  ::) ::) ::)
Nope he doesn't need it when I have it,...he's not aloud to hold it,lol Each time he has it in his possession,he loses it!

Can you get a card in your name, and just keep the one in his name hidden away somewhere?

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2006, 10:13:26 AM »

wow that's harsh what bank is that? I was able to add my hsuband when he first moved here on a fiance visa and he had his own switch card within a few weeks.

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2006, 10:28:15 AM »
When I was a kid my mom gave my sister and I notes that we could use her credit card when we went shopping alone with it.  Can we do that here?

I was not able to get onto Rich's account either at Lloyd's or his other one (I think it's an on-line bank)  HSBC is the only one that let me have an account.  I used to use Rich's Lloyd's card a lot when I first got here, no one said a word.

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2006, 11:07:24 AM »
When I was a kid my mom gave my sister and I notes that we could use her credit card when we went shopping alone with it. 

heehee...I used to do this too! With a hand written note from my mom! All of us little spoiled girls with our Moms' credit cards going shopping on Melrose. I think my mom just did this to avoid the fights she knew we would have if she actually took me shopping.

I am hoping to get added to Peter's Barclays account now that I have my LLR.

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2006, 01:49:59 PM »
When I was a kid my mom gave my sister and I notes that we could use her credit card when we went shopping alone with it.  Can we do that here?

I think the official answer is no. 

U.K. cards have generally had rather more restrictions on use.  To take another example, if you buy mail-order using a card here, the company is not supposed to send the goods to any address but that which is registered on the card.

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2006, 01:51:25 PM »
Good thing I don't need my mommy's permission anymore.

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2006, 02:13:40 PM »
I think the official answer is no. 

U.K. cards have generally had rather more restrictions on use.  To take another example, if you buy mail-order using a card here, the company is not supposed to send the goods to any address but that which is registered on the card.

I think that is the same in the US as well now. My husband's US credit card is registered to his parent's address so anything he has bought online form the US has had to be sent there.

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2006, 02:38:13 PM »
I think that is the same in the US as well now. My husband's US credit card is registered to his parent's address so anything he has bought online form the US has had to be sent there.

Really?  I just ordered something on Amazon and sent it to a friend who is coming to visit in a few weeks.  They just asked me if there were different shipping and billing addresses and I said yes, then went on to fill in the two separate addresses.

In fact, I just bought my ghd hair styler (see other posts :) and the billing is home but sent it to work address... :)

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2006, 02:54:42 PM »
It's so irritating when there's a lack of consistency about things like this. I've also used two different addresses with Amazon but every now and then I get a site that requires the billing address to match the delivery address. That happened at Christmas, though I can't recall what site it was.

I've also had trouble in the past with airlines not letting me use an American credit card to book a flight originating in the UK. But when my mom bought us a flight as an anniversary present, they let her pay with her card and our flights originated here.

::)

Sponsored Links