Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: iPhone saved my sanity  (Read 4367 times)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
Re: iPhone saved my sanity
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 07:54:45 PM »
Yeah, we had a little play with it this evening, but not much - still waiting on Orange to move my number over from my old Sony Ericsson (PAYG) to the new I-phone.  The guy in the shop seemed to think that might take overnight (or so) & so does DH.  They moved all my contacts over in the store, except the names (some by first name, some by last name, etc) are kinda scrambled up a bit - lol!  So that'll keep me busy getting those all sorted out right.

I'm a little bit afraid of it, because technology scares me if I don't know what I'm doing.  :-[  So I'm afraid I'm going to do something wrong & break it or something.  I'm sure that will pass.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 10:18:31 PM »
I was all set to buy one until I found out that I can't access anything else while I'm on the phone.  I really wanted one to use for my calendar like I did with my old kick-butt PDA years ago, but most of my appointments are made over the phone.  I'm really so frustrated because I really like the iphone, but there are a handful of silly glitches to it that show it came from a slower to progress US market (like the lower-res camera, only one app at a time, and how Apple loves to hype the 3D, which I've had for years in standard phones).

I'm really rather sad and frustrated.  I soooo want one, but I'm not sure I will now.  I want to be able to use it for my business stuff too, which means using it while I'm on the phone at times.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 11:12:57 PM »
I was all set to buy one until I found out that I can't access anything else while I'm on the phone.  I really wanted one to use for my calendar like I did with my old kick-butt PDA years ago, but most of my appointments are made over the phone.  I'm really so frustrated because I really like the iphone, but there are a handful of silly glitches to it that show it came from a slower to progress US market (like the lower-res camera, only one app at a time, and how Apple loves to hype the 3D, which I've had for years in standard phones).

I'm really rather sad and frustrated.  I soooo want one, but I'm not sure I will now.  I want to be able to use it for my business stuff too, which means using it while I'm on the phone at times.

That's weird, because here in the US, I'm sure they are showing an ad for iPhone that shows people accessing other things while on the phone...

Ah, yes, here it is:

Maybe it's not possible in the UK yet?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 11:39:27 PM »
I'm not sure you could access one of your downloaded game apps or something like that but I'm sure you could access your diary or email or whatnot while on the phone.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 09:11:11 AM »
I've had multiple iPhone owners tell me that I can't.  If you watch those commercials, they also have fine print saying steps have been taken out for the commercial's sake.

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 10:34:50 AM »
Ok well I've just tried it (I phoned myself at home) and was able to access everything I tried (calendar, camera, contacts, email, internet (UKY), google maps, photos, even my solitaire app!). Only thing that was weird is that when I put the camera on it didn't show the green 'return to call' bar and I thought it disconnected but it didn't!

I wonder if your friends have an older version of Iphone? Mine is only the 3GS but everything worked like a treat. First time I tried it, I'm well impressed.

• Liked: 36
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2010, 01:53:45 PM »
Hi there everyone

I think Apple will finally catch up onto allowing the iPhone to multi task in the probable to be announced in June time Version 4 of the device. June'ish time is traditional for Apple to make announcements to the iPhone, however it's currently being eclipsed with all this iPad hype and launch etc. It's possible they've pushed back the next version of the iPhone whilst the iPad gets out there and feedback given on it etc.

The iPhone has had great success, it was after all aimed at the consumer market and the user interface has been the best. However the laughably crazy omissions have very slowly been addressed, the technically advanced Cut & Paste option only having made an appearance in the 3rd generation for instance!

The next version simply has to have multi tasking - what with SatNav applications, communication apps etc - it simply defies logic not to include it. Although theres thousands of 'apps' - even I, a grown kid simply don't need 28 different Fart sounds apps and bubble wrap popping apps etc.

I've never actually owned anything Apple, I've heard all about how they're the best thing since sliced bread, however I've found I've never experienced the issues some Apple converts talk of! If the newer 4th and over the years 5th and 6th generation handsets offer good improvements, I might consider one. For now though, no need.

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 02:04:04 PM »
Yes I can multi-task - I forget about that...
I think I hang up and press something and the top press here or something to return to call ;-)

I have never owned apple anything but with free internet with O2 on a pay as you go I could not resist.

I am having a blast with mine ;-)

New fav app - camerabag (thanks sheateawholepie)

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 07:48:25 PM »
Okay, so it sounds as if I can actually look in my diary while I'm on the phone with someone, but I will have to place the call on hold.  Is that right?  That's better than having to say I'll call them back.  I may just think about it again.  I asked someone at the Mac store the other day if they thought there'd be an update this summer and he said he didn't think so b/c it would eclipse the ipad.  That made sense.  I still think I'm going to hold off for a while and maybe see if there are any updates then look at the new one later.

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 08:30:17 PM »
No, you don't have to place the call on hold.  You can look at your calendar while you're in the middle of the conversation. There's just a little tab at the top of the screen that allows you to toggle back to the phone interface when you're done looking at something else.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:04:34 PM by geeta »

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 08:41:13 PM »
Nope, don't have to put them on hold. Just put the caller on speaker phone while you access the apps if you want to speak and hear them while you're looking.

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 10:16:05 PM »
Y'all are great!  Thanks.  I may just get one after all.

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 10:29:09 PM »
Y'all are great!  Thanks.  I may just get one after all.

Yes... join us! Come to the dark side. ;)

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 11:34:30 PM »
Insert evil laugh here :)

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2010, 06:03:02 PM »
OK New FAV app - Word with Friends the free version!
I have 7 games going at anytime and at least 5 of them are my US friends!

LOVE IT

*its scrabble

Sponsored Links